Cab heater

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sshev

I've got a bobcat 742B and I'd like to add a heater in the cab before winter rolls around. Anyone come up with a relatively inexpensive way to warm up the cab? I don't think 12v electric is the answer I'm looking for..was thinking more in terms of trying to use a tractor cab heater or I've seen some ATV heaters that use the heat off the exhaust. Any thoughts?

Tazza

Staff member
An electric heater is not the way, they use so much power i doubt your alternator can keep up. I'm pretty sure the coolant type are pretty cheap, you just tap into the by-pass hose on the engine and it will cook your socks off. I'm sure someone that has done it will pop their nose in.

Rookie

There are also fuel fired heaters. Very easy to install and maintain. I had a Stewart Warner Southwind on my M37 Power Wagon - talk about roasted nuts :) http://www.accclimatecontrol.com/no_idle/HD2.0.htm

spring

There are also fuel fired heaters. Very easy to install and maintain. I had a Stewart Warner Southwind on my M37 Power Wagon - talk about roasted nuts :) http://www.accclimatecontrol.com/no_idle/HD2.0.htm
I made one for my 742 using a heater core from a chevy chevette and a blower motor out of a dodge w150 and mounted it in a metal housing. I hooked it up with the bypass hose going to the intake and it works great. Chevette heater cores are the smallest on the market so they fit perfectly.

tmq

I made one for my 742 using a heater core from a chevy chevette and a blower motor out of a dodge w150 and mounted it in a metal housing. I hooked it up with the bypass hose going to the intake and it works great. Chevette heater cores are the smallest on the market so they fit perfectly.
Where did you mount the box? how did you run the hoses up to facilitate lifting the ROPS without unhooking them?

Tazza

Staff member
Where did you mount the box? how did you run the hoses up to facilitate lifting the ROPS without unhooking them?
The hoses are the simple bit. Lif the cab, look at where the wiring harness goes. Run it in the same place. You want the hose from the engine bay to enter as close as possible to the pivot point of the ROPS. Its very simple when you look at the cable routing.

spring

The hoses are the simple bit. Lif the cab, look at where the wiring harness goes. Run it in the same place. You want the hose from the engine bay to enter as close as possible to the pivot point of the ROPS. Its very simple when you look at the cable routing.
I mounted mine in the upper left side of the rear window. I used copper elbows exiting from the rear with brass barbed connectors then soldered them together facing right if your looking at the rear of the bobcat. Then I ran heater hose through the hole in the middle just above the radiator. I don't know what the is hole is for but it's a factory hole. From there i routed them to another hole on the left near the air cleaner and to the water pump and intake. It works quite wel. Just remember to place hold downs on the brass nipples so they can't flex when you open the cab. Tazza's routing will work well also, I just wanted my heater as far back as I could so the heater motor wasn't in my ear.