cab heat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bludorbronc

i have a 542b so far with no cab windows, i think it mite be cold pushing snow so i was thinking what i could do. i happened to start it and by accident i felt the air being blown up thru the radiator and thought warm, so i made a piece of tin to cover over the radiator opening and cover the back window so now when i operate the bobcat all the warm air coming out of the radiator comes into the cab to keep me warm. but i still think windows would help.

Dogsluvtrux

Dittos on the air quality!! How about a vinyl cab kit? Easy enough to install and does a good job of keeping the wind off of you...throw in a 12v plug in heater and while you couldn't plow snow in your shorts, you'd be comfortable in winter gear...without that annoying trip to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning!

eskimoman

Dittos on the air quality!! How about a vinyl cab kit? Easy enough to install and does a good job of keeping the wind off of you...throw in a 12v plug in heater and while you couldn't plow snow in your shorts, you'd be comfortable in winter gear...without that annoying trip to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning!
Everything I have read says the small heaters that plug into lighters don't produce enough heat. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I have Clark 720 with a replacement engine (Honda) that is air cooled. I'm trying to figure out if the charging system on this Honda will power a direct wire heater. There isn't an alternator as I know them mounted on the motor so I am doubting it can do much more than charge he 12v battery on it currently. Ted

Tazza

Staff member
Everything I have read says the small heaters that plug into lighters don't produce enough heat. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I have Clark 720 with a replacement engine (Honda) that is air cooled. I'm trying to figure out if the charging system on this Honda will power a direct wire heater. There isn't an alternator as I know them mounted on the motor so I am doubting it can do much more than charge he 12v battery on it currently. Ted
I highly doubt it would be up for it. They really suck the power.
If you install another alternator ir a bigger one you'd stand a chance. Can you not just rug up and do battle with the cold?
An air cooled engine does limit your heating options.

sledesigns

I highly doubt it would be up for it. They really suck the power.
If you install another alternator ir a bigger one you'd stand a chance. Can you not just rug up and do battle with the cold?
An air cooled engine does limit your heating options.
I did what Taz said and rugged up last year with an air cooled M600. That said, I would be ducting that warm air up to me if I had to take it again. If you can get the exhaust away from your ducted warm air it should be fine. The original VW Bug has been doing that for some time.
Your Bobcat and a taller, tractor style exhaust would a direction to start.

skidsteer.ca

I did what Taz said and rugged up last year with an air cooled M600. That said, I would be ducting that warm air up to me if I had to take it again. If you can get the exhaust away from your ducted warm air it should be fine. The original VW Bug has been doing that for some time.
Your Bobcat and a taller, tractor style exhaust would a direction to start.
Windows are the first huge step in the right direction, or a vinyl cab kit. 12v heaters are marginal even with a real alternator, the water heaters are 12000 btu and more, how many electric heater would you need for that? 5?
On the honda etc maybe the engine oil could be used if the pressure is not too high, kinda Bobcat 863 873 style?
If you duct the cooling air, make sure your exhaust is good and a carbon monoxide detector in the cab would be a smart investement,
I'm a survivor of carbon monoxide poisoning, (no, it was a lpg appliance) and trust me its sneeky sh!t.
Ken

Dogsluvtrux

Windows are the first huge step in the right direction, or a vinyl cab kit. 12v heaters are marginal even with a real alternator, the water heaters are 12000 btu and more, how many electric heater would you need for that? 5?
On the honda etc maybe the engine oil could be used if the pressure is not too high, kinda Bobcat 863 873 style?
If you duct the cooling air, make sure your exhaust is good and a carbon monoxide detector in the cab would be a smart investement,
I'm a survivor of carbon monoxide poisoning, (no, it was a lpg appliance) and trust me its sneeky sh!t.
Ken
Let me clarify...a vinyl cab and a 12v heater blowing on the window to keep it from fogging up...my experience with vinyl cabs is if you can cut the wind, a good set of overalls is perfect. Plus if you run the machine awhile, you start to get a far amount of heat coming off the chain case too.

OP
OP
B

bludorbronc

Let me clarify...a vinyl cab and a 12v heater blowing on the window to keep it from fogging up...my experience with vinyl cabs is if you can cut the wind, a good set of overalls is perfect. Plus if you run the machine awhile, you start to get a far amount of heat coming off the chain case too.
since i last wrote i put plexiglass on the side windows and made a plexi door, with the radiator air directed into the cab it is doing a good job. it is not sealed by any means but the air seems to be good quality. sofar not sick. des moines is suppose to have its first storm today so i will get more use out of it .

nobull1

since i last wrote i put plexiglass on the side windows and made a plexi door, with the radiator air directed into the cab it is doing a good job. it is not sealed by any means but the air seems to be good quality. sofar not sick. des moines is suppose to have its first storm today so i will get more use out of it .
Ken

You must tell us the carbon monoxide poisoning story.

Brian

jeffco

Ken

You must tell us the carbon monoxide poisoning story.

Brian
As Ken said, it is sneeky stuff, if you don't know the warning signs of carbon monoxide you reduce your chances by a lot, Doc said we had about 20 minutes to go and we would not have made it so my tolerance is very low and I get a headache very early, 400 ppm can be a leathal dose if you breathe it long enough, plus, its odorless and tasteless, you don't know it's there. Stay safe, Jeffco

skidsteer.ca

As Ken said, it is sneeky stuff, if you don't know the warning signs of carbon monoxide you reduce your chances by a lot, Doc said we had about 20 minutes to go and we would not have made it so my tolerance is very low and I get a headache very early, 400 ppm can be a leathal dose if you breathe it long enough, plus, its odorless and tasteless, you don't know it's there. Stay safe, Jeffco
Here is the list of symtoms
  1. Dizziness
  2. Irritability
  3. Confusion/Memory loss
  4. Disorientation
  5. Nausea and vomiting
  6. Abnormal reflexes
  7. Difficulty in coordinating
  8. Difficulty in breathing
  9. Chest Pain
  10. Cerebral Edema
  11. Convulsions/Seizures
  12. Coma
  13. Death
If you around around anything burning any fuel it could be co poisoning. The worst part is if you are resting the co bonds to your blood significantly easier then oxygen (like 100 times) You breath it in and your blood carries it through your body, causing the poisoning by displacing the oxygen from your blood.
IF you happen realize whats happening, and go to get out of there, the bodys demand for oxygen in the blood skyrockets from rest mode to active mode. At which point many people pass out, before they can escape the environment. It is heavier then air and hard to get out out a room. Many people sleep right through to their death.
We we staying in a 10 by 24 ft construction trailer, with a professionally installed lpg furnace with a c vent through the wall. The trailer got moved weekly through the summer months and this was the first night we needed heat in the fall. I guess the body of the furnace became cracked from several years of transportation, and that night not burning right, therefore giving off CO
About 1.5 hours after retiring for the night I still had not fallen asleep, I was restless, tossing and turning, sweaty and my hair felt really dirty. I got up, not wanting to disturbed the others, and went outside and within a couple of minutes began feeling some better.
Suspecting CO poisoning (but being a bit ignorant about how it works and the symptoms) I shut off the gas supply and returned inside to check with my father, who as it happened, was having trouble sleeping too, I got him up, brought up my suspicions and when he went outside, but could barely stand without falling.
The 3d fellow Gary was asleep, said he felt fine when I woke him, but when I roused him out of bed he walked about 10 steps to the door where he fell/sat in the door way, but at least in fresh air.
We had a 12v 14" radiator fan to remove hot air from the trailer in the summer. We attempted to ventilate the area as its midnight and we are tired and miles from no where. but even after 15 mins with it on high going back inside caused me to vomit within a minute.
I called 911 to get more info, which they confirmed it as being likely CO and dispatched a ambulance despite my protest. 1.5 hours in the bush from a paved road and another hr to the nearest hospital, our address is a UTM coordinate. So we drove to meet them, thinking they would never find us.
Luckily the forestry roads were familiar to one of the ambulance crew. and they met us 20 kms from the hwy. The put Dad and Gary in the bus and on oxygen and I followed to town. We spent several hours on oxygen once we got there.
From what they told us at the hospital, 2.5 hours after we left the contaminated trailer, we should have all been dead based on levels of our blood tests.
Needless to say I don't sleep well without a CO detector near by anymore. I have a hard time tolerating a vehicle running in the shop just for short periodsof time. Even welding indoors will set off my CO alarm
If you work or sleep anywhere near a combustion process you really should educate yourself
http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com
Sorry for the long post, butI hope it helps someone.
Ken

OP
OP
B

bludorbronc

Here is the list of symtoms

Dizziness
Irritability
Confusion/Memory loss
Disorientation
Nausea and vomiting
Abnormal reflexes
Difficulty in coordinating
Difficulty in breathing
Chest Pain
Cerebral Edema
Convulsions/Seizures
Coma
Death

If you around around anything burning any fuel it could be co poisoning. The worst part is if you are resting the co bonds to your blood significantly easier then oxygen (like 100 times) You breath it in and your blood carries it through your body, causing the poisoning by displacing the oxygen from your blood.
IF you happen realize whats happening, and go to get out of there, the bodys demand for oxygen in the blood skyrockets from rest mode to active mode. At which point many people pass out, before they can escape the environment. It is heavier then air and hard to get out out a room. Many people sleep right through to their death.
We we staying in a 10 by 24 ft construction trailer, with a professionally installed lpg furnace with a c vent through the wall. The trailer got moved weekly through the summer months and this was the first night we needed heat in the fall. I guess the body of the furnace became cracked from several years of transportation, and that night not burning right, therefore giving off CO
About 1.5 hours after retiring for the night I still had not fallen asleep, I was restless, tossing and turning, sweaty and my hair felt really dirty. I got up, not wanting to disturbed the others, and went outside and within a couple of minutes began feeling some better.
Suspecting CO poisoning (but being a bit ignorant about how it works and the symptoms) I shut off the gas supply and returned inside to check with my father, who as it happened, was having trouble sleeping too, I got him up, brought up my suspicions and when he went outside, but could barely stand without falling.
The 3d fellow Gary was asleep, said he felt fine when I woke him, but when I roused him out of bed he walked about 10 steps to the door where he fell/sat in the door way, but at least in fresh air.
We had a 12v 14" radiator fan to remove hot air from the trailer in the summer. We attempted to ventilate the area as its midnight and we are tired and miles from no where. but even after 15 mins with it on high going back inside caused me to vomit within a minute.
I called 911 to get more info, which they confirmed it as being likely CO and dispatched a ambulance despite my protest. 1.5 hours in the bush from a paved road and another hr to the nearest hospital, our address is a UTM coordinate. So we drove to meet them, thinking they would never find us.
Luckily the forestry roads were familiar to one of the ambulance crew. and they met us 20 kms from the hwy. The put Dad and Gary in the bus and on oxygen and I followed to town. We spent several hours on oxygen once we got there.
From what they told us at the hospital, 2.5 hours after we left the contaminated trailer, we should have all been dead based on levels of our blood tests.
Needless to say I don't sleep well without a CO detector near by anymore. I have a hard time tolerating a vehicle running in the shop just for short periodsof time. Even welding indoors will set off my CO alarm
If you work or sleep anywhere near a combustion process you really should educate yourself
http://www.carbonmonoxidekills.com
Sorry for the long post, butI hope it helps someone.
Ken
i do not have the top window opening closed, i plowed for about half an hour and i was warm and feeling good. i agree a person must use caution but to sit in the cold when warmth is so easy to get must be looked at.

sshev

i do not have the top window opening closed, i plowed for about half an hour and i was warm and feeling good. i agree a person must use caution but to sit in the cold when warmth is so easy to get must be looked at.
has anyone tried the little LP catalytic heaters made for golf carts? no flame, and run off the little 1 lbs. disposable LP cylinders. seems like they might work in a skid loader with a vinyl cab. They are pretty inexpensive on eBay.

Stonetile

has anyone tried the little LP catalytic heaters made for golf carts? no flame, and run off the little 1 lbs. disposable LP cylinders. seems like they might work in a skid loader with a vinyl cab. They are pretty inexpensive on eBay.
I've been playing with different heating systems over the past 10 years in many different systems and by far I've been most impressed by the 873 heating system, running the engine oil through heat exchangers before it goes through the oil cooler. On my 873 theres one heat exchanger on each side of you and even without the blower fans running to circulate the air it keeps you quite warm enough to plow in any weather (its been -40 C here a lot this year) and my blower fans aren't working