Bucket pops off quick attach

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mfyock

I bought an aftermarket quick attach to bring my loader up to the new style. The new plate fits on the bucket just fine, but when I go to back drag the pins will pop up and out of the notches. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Its almost like it needs more spring pressure to hold the pins down in??? I cant even begin to lift the front wheels off the ground with out the pins poping up and out...IDeas???

Sundance

You could drill and cotter the pins................... Or run a weld bead along the slots to make the fit tighter.............

sterlclan

You could drill and cotter the pins................... Or run a weld bead along the slots to make the fit tighter.............
do the pins pop up or is the plate loose? the top and bottom need to fit tight to keep it on ive seen wear make the bottom loose and come apart......may need some shims. where did you get an aftermarket attach plate?.....Jeff

skidsteer.ca

do the pins pop up or is the plate loose? the top and bottom need to fit tight to keep it on ive seen wear make the bottom loose and come apart......may need some shims. where did you get an aftermarket attach plate?.....Jeff
Also, the angle on the pins or plate where the two meet each other may be incorrect and when the pressure gets high the pins wants to slide up because the angle is not "flat" enough.
When you look at the bottom of the pin from the side of the QA the pins should slope slightly forward where it meet the QA plate (bucket). If it slopes forward too much the preesure up on the pin gets too great and the pin would rather slip up then hold (especially, depending on the design of the spring that holds the pin, if it can just compres the pin spring) The springs should allow the handles to lock with the pin + or minus 1/4" in height. But if the the spring will compress enough to allow the pin to rise a full inch then it can disengage the QA plate. Which would be a incorrect design.
Can you send us some pics to look at? If you don't know how to post them send them here
ken at skidsteer.ca at = @ of course

perry

Also, the angle on the pins or plate where the two meet each other may be incorrect and when the pressure gets high the pins wants to slide up because the angle is not "flat" enough.
When you look at the bottom of the pin from the side of the QA the pins should slope slightly forward where it meet the QA plate (bucket). If it slopes forward too much the preesure up on the pin gets too great and the pin would rather slip up then hold (especially, depending on the design of the spring that holds the pin, if it can just compres the pin spring) The springs should allow the handles to lock with the pin + or minus 1/4" in height. But if the the spring will compress enough to allow the pin to rise a full inch then it can disengage the QA plate. Which would be a incorrect design.
Can you send us some pics to look at? If you don't know how to post them send them here
Ken, I was thinking the same thing on the pin slope, I have had tree limbs pull a handle up on occasion.

OP
OP
M

mfyock

I got the plate from www.hayspear.com. It appears to be a quality plate. It appears that the pins move up, compressing the springs and popping out. The handles stay in place. I am thinking maybe I need to put more preload on the springs. That way when the pins try to push up they will coil bind the springs and not be able to come loose. When you say the angle of the pins are you talking about the cut angle of the end of the pins? The pins appear to be parallel to the surface that goes against the bucket. Hayspear.com knows that they are doing so I cant see them doing it wrong. The bucket was an old style that I modified to meet the SAE universal specs. I got the angles dead on. I measured the bucket compared to a blank plate I have laying around. The depth (horizontal distance) of the pin slots from the face of the plate is exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the angled plate that the pins go into is a little larger, measured vertically than the blank plate.

TriHonu

I got the plate from www.hayspear.com. It appears to be a quality plate. It appears that the pins move up, compressing the springs and popping out. The handles stay in place. I am thinking maybe I need to put more preload on the springs. That way when the pins try to push up they will coil bind the springs and not be able to come loose. When you say the angle of the pins are you talking about the cut angle of the end of the pins? The pins appear to be parallel to the surface that goes against the bucket. Hayspear.com knows that they are doing so I cant see them doing it wrong. The bucket was an old style that I modified to meet the SAE universal specs. I got the angles dead on. I measured the bucket compared to a blank plate I have laying around. The depth (horizontal distance) of the pin slots from the face of the plate is exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the angled plate that the pins go into is a little larger, measured vertically than the blank plate.
I have seen this on two different machines. Both were caused by wear in the hole where the pins from the quick-tach engage the quick-tach plate.
With the bucket attached to the quick-tach, how far to the pins extend past the edge of the quick-tach plate? Also watch the springs as you close the handle. The pin should engage the quick-tach plate with the tip of the pin protruding a small amount past the quick-tach plate.
The sooner the pin makes positive engagement, the more the spring has to compress for the handle to be in the latched position.
We fixed both of them by welding a bead on the quick-tach plate where the pin touches the plate. Both buckets had some wear. When you put down pressure on the cutting edge the base of the bucket would start pulling away from the quick-tach. It seemed like once it started to move the pins would keep retracting.

skidsteer.ca

I have seen this on two different machines. Both were caused by wear in the hole where the pins from the quick-tach engage the quick-tach plate.
With the bucket attached to the quick-tach, how far to the pins extend past the edge of the quick-tach plate? Also watch the springs as you close the handle. The pin should engage the quick-tach plate with the tip of the pin protruding a small amount past the quick-tach plate.
The sooner the pin makes positive engagement, the more the spring has to compress for the handle to be in the latched position.
We fixed both of them by welding a bead on the quick-tach plate where the pin touches the plate. Both buckets had some wear. When you put down pressure on the cutting edge the base of the bucket would start pulling away from the quick-tach. It seemed like once it started to move the pins would keep retracting.
I think your on the right track with the coil binding idea. As said this is generally a wear problem, but it can be cause by less then optimum geometry, lack of spring pressure or too much spring travel.
Ken