Bucket drifts down only when raising lift cylinders

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jmdskid

(Tldr) bucket drops only when raising lift arms, started after a spool leak, no more leaks, can carry load of fill and it doesn't drop.

Hey guys, first time posting on here but have found a ton of useful information. I've searched around and haven't really seen anything that has the same problem.

So it's a 98 bobcat 863 and I developed I good hydraulic leak coming out of the bonnet of the lift/tilt spool. Took out both spools and pulled the plastic plug out of the lift/tilt spool but only got a tiny piece of that little brown o ring down in the spool. Used one of those handy iPhone endoscope and l couldn't see anything down in there. I even threw the spoons in an ultrasonic cleaner. I made sure all the detent balls and springs were in place. Install went smooth and no more leaks.

But now when I raise the lift arms the bucket slowly drifts down. By the time I raise the arms the the tilt cylinder is all the way down. But that's the only time it happens. I can carry a full bucket of fill and it doesn't drop. It has down pressure and can easily lift the machine. If I leave the bucket curled up it will drop to the ground within few hours.

Basically I'm stumped. I have limited experience dealing with control valves. And don't know what else to try. Again it only drifts down when I'm raising lift cylinders. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, there's a ton of smart people on here. Thank you!

I'm not super familiar with that machine, but I have a couple thoughts.
Do you have a bucket positioning control valve? Just off the top of my head that could possibly cause this if it's malfunctioning.
Also, if the lift and tilt are two different valves, but the same part, you could swap them to see if the problem follows the move. That would rule out the valves being the problem.
It sounds like something is leaking internally. When you lift the boom, you're triggering a valve to apply pressure to your boom cylinders. In your case, this is also allowing pressure to leak from your tilt cylinders. If you have a hydraulic circuitry diagram(you can sometimes find these through the bobcat parts catalog online) for your machine, you could start there and begin ruling out places where that pressure could leak from.

laurencen

my 863 has bucket level, when lifting arms the tilt compensates for the amount bucket tilts back, only in the lift mode, lower its not on the 590 this function can be disabled, maybe it srarted wirking after valve fix

OP
OP
J

jmdskid

It doesn't have bucket positioning valve. I don't think I could spools can be swapped one has the bonnet with the springs and detent. The other spool just had a cap that covers the back.

Yes there very well could be a piece of that o ring that was inside the spool stuck somewhere cause I only found the smallest piece when taking the spool plug out. I'll have to really look at the schematic if they have one.

OP
OP
J

jmdskid

my 863 has bucket level, when lifting arms the tilt compensates for the amount bucket tilts back, only in the lift mode, lower its not on the 590 this function can be disabled, maybe it srarted wirking after valve fix
No bucket positioning valve. It drops relatively quickly. Your bucket goes full tilt by the time you raise the lift arms completely?

OP
OP
J

jmdskid

one thing I forgot to mention is sometimes randomly if I press the pedal to curl the bucket all the way in and don't let go right away the lift arms start to raise.