Broken Track Lug

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JxxxOxxxE

Quick question..couldn't find anything on here or through Google.... T300 with about 1000 hours on current tracks. Tonight one of the metal lugs molded into the rubber track broke down the middle...not sure why...now that lug is binding and popping when going forward around the drive sprocket.... Anyone ever have this happen? Can it be welded and actually hold together? If the weld won't hold, can it be cut out and ran without? The tracks still have life left, so I hate to replace them yet... Does anyone make a bolt on lug like it made for some other brands?

reaperman

Unfortunate, that's where tracks normally fail, their not like tires and tread depth. In the construction world 1500 hrs is about max for a set. You may be able to find a used single track for sale from someone who had the same thing happen. The alternative is about 3k for a new set.

mmsllc

Unfortunate, that's where tracks normally fail, their not like tires and tread depth. In the construction world 1500 hrs is about max for a set. You may be able to find a used single track for sale from someone who had the same thing happen. The alternative is about 3k for a new set.
I'd try to cut the lug out all together so you might be able to keep working it while you start to save up for new tracks. I'd imagine that is how most guys would handle it. I'm also fairly certain that other lugs may start to break, but for now do your best to make that money!! I'm also not certain that I would spend $3k for BOCAT tracks. I keep seeing a ton of aftermarket tracks that seem to be available for almost every machine out there. I've been given an estimate of $800 per track for my #328 excavator. So, hopefully that'll be helpful.

Bobcatdan

I'd try to cut the lug out all together so you might be able to keep working it while you start to save up for new tracks. I'd imagine that is how most guys would handle it. I'm also fairly certain that other lugs may start to break, but for now do your best to make that money!! I'm also not certain that I would spend $3k for BOCAT tracks. I keep seeing a ton of aftermarket tracks that seem to be available for almost every machine out there. I've been given an estimate of $800 per track for my #328 excavator. So, hopefully that'll be helpful.
Bobcat tracks are bridgestone. You maybe able to find them without the Bobcat logo to save a few dollars. Have tried many "lower price" tracks and none proved as tough or last as long as the factory tracks.

lesgawlik

Bobcat tracks are bridgestone. You maybe able to find them without the Bobcat logo to save a few dollars. Have tried many "lower price" tracks and none proved as tough or last as long as the factory tracks.
I've had good luck with Camoplast. The previous owner had put "C" pattern Camoplast tracks on my T-200, and I ran them for several hundred hours, and they hadn't worn to unacceptable levels. The machine was a rental, and it had its share of gashes and cuts, and had about 50% when i bought the machine. I would be running them today except, as best as I can tell, I picked up a piece of 1" heavy wall steel pipe between the sprocket and the track. As I ran it, the pipe cause the track to pull off of the lugs. The drive dogs on the a few of the lugs had rotated so that they were facing towards the outside of the tracks. I found a piece of pipe in the area I was grading, and it had an indentation that matched a tooth on the sprocket. I replaced the tracks with a Camoplast "W" pattern which was supposed to be good general purpose pattern, with good snow traction. I need to plow my driveway which is very steep and has a 90* turn half way up. The turn is banked to the downhill side, which often leads to disaster. I have done doughnuts spinning out of control in my machine with the old tracks. It's hard to make comparisons, but I haven't had the same problems with the new Camoplast tracks. They seem to be very good in snow.

OP
OP
J

JxxxOxxxE

Picked up a set of C Lug pattern tracks from the Bobcat dealer today...

The tracks I'm replacing were the multibar design...Hopefully these C's perform as goo if not better...

OP
OP
J

JxxxOxxxE

Picked up a set of C Lug pattern tracks from the Bobcat dealer today...

The tracks I'm replacing were the multibar design...Hopefully these C's perform as goo if not better...
I think I'm going to swap my sprockets to the opposite sides to get the unworn part forward....

Is that normal to flip them....?

Bobcatdan

I think I'm going to swap my sprockets to the opposite sides to get the unworn part forward....

Is that normal to flip them....?
Flipping them is a good idea as it will extended the life of the sprocket. Yeah manufacturer don't recommend that as they want sprockets replaced. Also it's a good time to change hub oil.

OP
OP
J

JxxxOxxxE

Flipping them is a good idea as it will extended the life of the sprocket. Yeah manufacturer don't recommend that as they want sprockets replaced. Also it's a good time to change hub oil.
Any idea on the sprocket nut torque rating for putting it back together?