Bobcat Versahandler

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

I started working on a Versahandler yesterday and thought it was going to be a snap but got bite , it started with a dead battery , which is of Eupoeon design and couldn't be matched by local battery distributors , the dealer never had the exact replacement but gave me a group 31 which I was told would fit into the battery container but was 8 inches shorter , supposively marked with the same cranking amps , so after the battery change it was spinning over now but was dragging bad , barely spinning over and wouldn't start the engine , I pulled the starter which was a job as the wheel had to come off and it was foamed filled , 4.5 ft tall and must have weighed a ton to get to the access plate which covered the starter , then the bolts that held the starter in were allen headed bolts thru the bellhousing with nuts on the outside , there was I'd say 1/2 " between the heads of the bolts and the frame and I couldn't get the allen in without cutting off a piece of the wrench with a grinder , well after getting it off I bench tested the starter and it seemed ok , I took it to the nearby starter shop to double check it before fighting it back in and they bench tested it for me and said it was ok , so I went back and spun the motor over by a bar on the flywheel teeth thru the starter hole and it turned a complete revolution no problem , the battery cables are very long and travel from the left to the right side of the machine , the boom was down and not starting didn't allow access to the cables to check for bad spots , so I took the battery and put it on the ground by the starter and hooked up two battery cables I had directly to the starter with the same results , at this point I figured nothing was wrong with the starting system or the motor and it had to be a hydraulic problem causing the drag , pulled the operators manual out and found where it stated that the front aux hydraulics switch had to be in the netrual postion to start up , this is when I noticed that the aux switch would not light up when put into the operational mode , the operator informed me that the light never did light up since he had been running the machine and it always started fine till yesterday , I checked all the fuses and found two bad but they didn't have any effect , found the relay that operated the aux and swopped it with a known good one and it didn't help ,but did notice that the relay didn't click when the switch was activated , pulled the dash and found no power going to the aux switch in any position , have no idea where the spool and solinoid for the aux is even located on this machine and don't have a service manuel for it , the boom being down is a real drag as everything is hidden , it was getting late and cold and I was picking up tools when I found a USB type computor plug in , which was in the fuse box area which wasn't a happy thing , I am thinking of trying the loop hose on the aux quick coupler trick tomorrow and see if that will work ------------------has anyone had a Versahandler starter problem realted to Aux hydraulics or have any ideas where the drag is coming from , Thanks for any replys

skidsteer.ca

Fishfiles
No, never seen one of these yet, (might be a good thing) sorry.
Hope the loop trick works...
Ken

Eric

Fishfiles
No, never seen one of these yet, (might be a good thing) sorry.
Hope the loop trick works...
Ken
I have no experiance repairing these versahandlers but it sounds like the same thing that happens to a 463 Bobcat if the auxilary handle is locked in the on position. The engine will drag and it wont be able to start. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

I have no experiance repairing these versahandlers but it sounds like the same thing that happens to a 463 Bobcat if the auxilary handle is locked in the on position. The engine will drag and it wont be able to start. Good luck.
This problem was sent to the dealership , still waiting to hear what was the problem