Bobcat Territories

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Team Fountain

What is the deal with Bobcat's territory game. I own a business. I have plenty of competition. It's good business to have competition. If I told one of my long time customers that I couldn't sell to them because their territory had been claimed by another dealer, he'd be understandably pissed. How can it be that in todays time I can be told where I have to buy something from. I have my very last Bobcat on order, unless I can cancel it without penalty. If I can cancel it, I'll be looking at Cat, Deere, and Case next week. Absolutely ridiculous.

Tazza

Staff member
I think it will be like that to ensure dealers don't go and *pinch* other dealers sales. Its the same for me at work, for commission sales we can't sell over the border as its another agents territory.
But if its an area that is bobcat ONLY i can't see how that is legal.

jmatt20

I think it will be like that to ensure dealers don't go and *pinch* other dealers sales. Its the same for me at work, for commission sales we can't sell over the border as its another agents territory.
But if its an area that is bobcat ONLY i can't see how that is legal.
well where i live there are about 100 car dealerships ,many ford ,chevy, toyota nissan ,ect . they compete on price and service. If you go to the bobcat site they won't even give you MSRP so you don't have a clue what a bobcat is worth. the cat site lets you build a cat skid steer with priceing on the basic model and add on priceing for the options you choose. that price is MSRP and the local dealer will most likely "beat" that price with dealer discounts and incentives or free option packages ,but at least you have a starting point. there is only one bobcat dealer in my county and the dealers in the near counties won't talk to you when they know where you are located. Tazza the other word for "pinch" other dealers sale is competition. My brother is two states away and the dealers there want to sell machines,they are about 10 to 15 per cent cheeper than my local dealer. Now those other dealers arn't selling bobcats at a loss so my dealer just has a higher profit margin good for him i guess but not for me. In farm country i guess the bobcat dealers have to compete against established implement dealers. From the factory side i don't know if the territory idea is a good move . If i can't get a competive price by haveing a few dealers to work with then my only option is to change the name on the back door. the local cat dealer in the last year or so has been trying to get market penetration and has been giving 0% interest loans on machines and can finance your dog if he has his shots and is under 6 yrs, old.

jmatt20

well where i live there are about 100 car dealerships ,many ford ,chevy, toyota nissan ,ect . they compete on price and service. If you go to the bobcat site they won't even give you MSRP so you don't have a clue what a bobcat is worth. the cat site lets you build a cat skid steer with priceing on the basic model and add on priceing for the options you choose. that price is MSRP and the local dealer will most likely "beat" that price with dealer discounts and incentives or free option packages ,but at least you have a starting point. there is only one bobcat dealer in my county and the dealers in the near counties won't talk to you when they know where you are located. Tazza the other word for "pinch" other dealers sale is competition. My brother is two states away and the dealers there want to sell machines,they are about 10 to 15 per cent cheeper than my local dealer. Now those other dealers arn't selling bobcats at a loss so my dealer just has a higher profit margin good for him i guess but not for me. In farm country i guess the bobcat dealers have to compete against established implement dealers. From the factory side i don't know if the territory idea is a good move . If i can't get a competive price by haveing a few dealers to work with then my only option is to change the name on the back door. the local cat dealer in the last year or so has been trying to get market penetration and has been giving 0% interest loans on machines and can finance your dog if he has his shots and is under 6 yrs, old.
why can't i get my post to have paragraphs.....

Tazza

Staff member
why can't i get my post to have paragraphs.....
You need to login and click "profile" up the top.
Down the bottom, check the box that says: "use HTML editor (free text box)"
Click "update user information" and presto!
I do agree, there should be more dealer competition...... But generally you can haggle with them when you get quotes from the competition. Get a few quotes and haggle with the bobcat sales person and see what they can do. Don't show them your quote, but keep pointing out the things that the other machine does better and is a lower cost.
Its a shame that you want to change your machine colour, but i do agree that you should be able to shop around to get the best possible deal.

WebbCo

You need to login and click "profile" up the top.
Down the bottom, check the box that says: "use HTML editor (free text box)"
Click "update user information" and presto!
I do agree, there should be more dealer competition...... But generally you can haggle with them when you get quotes from the competition. Get a few quotes and haggle with the bobcat sales person and see what they can do. Don't show them your quote, but keep pointing out the things that the other machine does better and is a lower cost.
Its a shame that you want to change your machine colour, but i do agree that you should be able to shop around to get the best possible deal.
You can purchase from whom ever you want to, but be aware that if a machine is sold outside of our area by one of our salesmen, in another dealers area , the the selling dealer must pay the other dealer a percent of the sale. It works both ways, and your cat/deere/etc.. whoever you choose may have the same issue! Just be aware that many times a dealer will up the price of the machine knowing they have to pay the other dealer a percentage!