Bobcat 863 turbo

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ok I got a good deal on this 1996 bobcat 863.the reason for a good deal was because the guy I got it from snapped the timing belt,he put a new one on put about 30mins on it and it died again.he through his hands in the air and sold it to me.after checking it out I found that the oil pump shaft broke,he must have had the belt to tight.ordered a new pump and a few push rods and got it running. It seems to run good but if I climb a steep hill at high speed it doesnt seem to have the power, I don't hear a whistle that a turbo usually have.the hydraulics work really well and have tons of power just not impressed with the wheel power.my 743 climbs the same hill no problem. Any suggestions I don't have much experience with turbos.what should I look for/test

SkidRoe

I don't know how hard this would be, but I would pull the intake hose off of the compressor side of the turbo and see if you can spin the compressor wheel with your finger. It should spin freely, and should not have any radial play.
Does it blow smoke when under load, black or otherwise? That would also be an indication of how effective the turbo is (or isn't). Excessive smoke being a bad sign.
The fact that it died on the previous owner due to both a broken timing belt and a failed oil pump gives me an uneasy feeling. I hate to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if this engine has to come completely apart to get all of the gremlins out.
Hoping for the best,
SR

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know how hard this would be, but I would pull the intake hose off of the compressor side of the turbo and see if you can spin the compressor wheel with your finger. It should spin freely, and should not have any radial play.
Does it blow smoke when under load, black or otherwise? That would also be an indication of how effective the turbo is (or isn't). Excessive smoke being a bad sign.
The fact that it died on the previous owner due to both a broken timing belt and a failed oil pump gives me an uneasy feeling. I hate to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if this engine has to come completely apart to get all of the gremlins out.
Hoping for the best,
SR
It's not as simple as the main drive belt slipping is it? It is the mosto common cause of lack of power.
Does the engine bog down going up the hill? or does it seems to run good and the drive is lacking?

OP
OP
L
It's not as simple as the main drive belt slipping is it? It is the mosto common cause of lack of power.
Does the engine bog down going up the hill? or does it seems to run good and the drive is lacking?
Sorry guys been a little busy.... The engine bogs down and would even stall if I don't let up on the sticks,so I don't think it is a belt issue.it doesn't smoke at all. When I get a chance I was going to pull it into the garage and see if I can spin the turbo. I was just hoping there was a sure fire way to test it in the machine. I'm working on a buddy's John Deere 410b with a turbo on it and I can hear that turbo spool up without a problem just thought I should be able to hear it.

Sorry guys been a little busy.... The engine bogs down and would even stall if I don't let up on the sticks,so I don't think it is a belt issue.it doesn't smoke at all. When I get a chance I was going to pull it into the garage and see if I can spin the turbo. I was just hoping there was a sure fire way to test it in the machine. I'm working on a buddy's John Deere 410b with a turbo on it and I can hear that turbo spool up without a problem just thought I should be able to hear it.
I have a 863 also and during normal operation i have never heard my turbo spool, Now I dont know if this is the right way to check but one day as i was working my machine my rear cover came undone well I got out of my machine with out idling it down and went to shut it. I noticed my air box cover was a little lose. I unlatched the lid and pulled out both filters. My turbo on my engine instantley spooled up and you could hear it whistling. but as soon as i would put the filters back in it stopped not the turbo but the high whistling. you might just be able to check it that way. just a suggestion I am not a mechanic and when i did it it was for prob 10 seconds i was not in a dirty enviorment.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a 863 also and during normal operation i have never heard my turbo spool, Now I dont know if this is the right way to check but one day as i was working my machine my rear cover came undone well I got out of my machine with out idling it down and went to shut it. I noticed my air box cover was a little lose. I unlatched the lid and pulled out both filters. My turbo on my engine instantley spooled up and you could hear it whistling. but as soon as i would put the filters back in it stopped not the turbo but the high whistling. you might just be able to check it that way. just a suggestion I am not a mechanic and when i did it it was for prob 10 seconds i was not in a dirty enviorment.
On my S250, it was hard to hear it. I found that i could only hear it when it was slowing down. Rev it up then drop it back down, you can hear the whistle slow down.
If the turbo wasn't working properly, i would have thought it would be pouring out black smoke as there was far too much fuel going in and not enough air.

Mikefromcny

On my S250, it was hard to hear it. I found that i could only hear it when it was slowing down. Rev it up then drop it back down, you can hear the whistle slow down.
If the turbo wasn't working properly, i would have thought it would be pouring out black smoke as there was far too much fuel going in and not enough air.
I cant hear mine whistle either, its my first turbo machine and I was looking forward to it when I bought it LOL. It has plenty of power though so must be okay. If your machine is lacking power I would check it and your air filters.

7LBSSMALLIE

I cant hear mine whistle either, its my first turbo machine and I was looking forward to it when I bought it LOL. It has plenty of power though so must be okay. If your machine is lacking power I would check it and your air filters.
turbo falure rare my first instinct is to re time. the deutezwill run one tooth outbut not under load .the skipping of corners when replacing belt has resurfaced time and time again as in speficaly not loosing the the cam bolt or not visually inspecting the cam lock in in timining tool for perfect alingmment. or being as simple as belt tension finals should be what 6and half etc as read on timing belt tension tool.. my point being this aint a chevy you cant just tirn dist. my gut says one tooth out and by the way do not reley on cam pin tool will screw you . look at it, as you may surmise i have some experaince with this some hard.. (as in trusting timining tool tools to do do there job) to reiterate crank lock good cam hole and tension are a balance. tools stupid expensive. good dealership and experaniced techs, knock it out (put it this way timing belt replacement pays about 4)check on it i would assume less.

Bobcatdan

turbo falure rare my first instinct is to re time. the deutezwill run one tooth outbut not under load .the skipping of corners when replacing belt has resurfaced time and time again as in speficaly not loosing the the cam bolt or not visually inspecting the cam lock in in timining tool for perfect alingmment. or being as simple as belt tension finals should be what 6and half etc as read on timing belt tension tool.. my point being this aint a chevy you cant just tirn dist. my gut says one tooth out and by the way do not reley on cam pin tool will screw you . look at it, as you may surmise i have some experaince with this some hard.. (as in trusting timining tool tools to do do there job) to reiterate crank lock good cam hole and tension are a balance. tools stupid expensive. good dealership and experaniced techs, knock it out (put it this way timing belt replacement pays about 4)check on it i would assume less.
Low power, number one first thing, change the fuel filter and make sure there is good supply to engine. Duetz transfer pumps can leak fuel into the crankcase causing the engine to starve for fuel, plus the oil level would raise. If the turbo was shot, it more then likely would be blowing ol out the muffler. Turbo problem would be about the last thing I would check for low power. 99% of the time, poor fuel supply to the engine.

econoline

Low power, number one first thing, change the fuel filter and make sure there is good supply to engine. Duetz transfer pumps can leak fuel into the crankcase causing the engine to starve for fuel, plus the oil level would raise. If the turbo was shot, it more then likely would be blowing ol out the muffler. Turbo problem would be about the last thing I would check for low power. 99% of the time, poor fuel supply to the engine.
I'm with you Bobcatdan...first things first...When we...Lucaslandscape and myself ( he is my son-in-law) picked up the machine in the spring we topped off the fuel tank on the way home... it took 3 GALLONS.......SO the rest of the fuel has to be over a YEAR old... Then to the poster about the timing belt...It is surely no SB Cheby timing chain but...our local Bobcat dealer, (Walden, NY) is fantasic with advise and he even LOANED us the his tools to do it right...and yes..the cam cog was loosened and rotated to remove the slack on the back side from cam to crank....I think I might have 7lbs tension (book calls for 6 to 9.5lbs. I think..it's been a while..) Then for the cam bolt torgue..OMG..torgue and then turn bolt X amount of degrees....I thought I was gonna snap the bolt... Anyway...after the new oil pump and belt the machine fired up BUT it ran on only 2 cyls...it appeared the individual injection pumps and even some injectors were gummed up. I switched injectors around and found one of them clogged.. I emptied the fuel bowl and filled it with Seafoam 2 or 3 times...slowly.... but surely... it came around to hit on 3..... and then finnally on all four cyls... L.L is still on that SAME tank of fuel....(we don't use the machine much) I say dump it and start with fresh fuel....... Now...with the BIG picture...replace fuel.....then go to.......maybe injectors.....?????...Thanks

SkidRoe

I'm with you Bobcatdan...first things first...When we...Lucaslandscape and myself ( he is my son-in-law) picked up the machine in the spring we topped off the fuel tank on the way home... it took 3 GALLONS.......SO the rest of the fuel has to be over a YEAR old... Then to the poster about the timing belt...It is surely no SB Cheby timing chain but...our local Bobcat dealer, (Walden, NY) is fantasic with advise and he even LOANED us the his tools to do it right...and yes..the cam cog was loosened and rotated to remove the slack on the back side from cam to crank....I think I might have 7lbs tension (book calls for 6 to 9.5lbs. I think..it's been a while..) Then for the cam bolt torgue..OMG..torgue and then turn bolt X amount of degrees....I thought I was gonna snap the bolt... Anyway...after the new oil pump and belt the machine fired up BUT it ran on only 2 cyls...it appeared the individual injection pumps and even some injectors were gummed up. I switched injectors around and found one of them clogged.. I emptied the fuel bowl and filled it with Seafoam 2 or 3 times...slowly.... but surely... it came around to hit on 3..... and then finnally on all four cyls... L.L is still on that SAME tank of fuel....(we don't use the machine much) I say dump it and start with fresh fuel....... Now...with the BIG picture...replace fuel.....then go to.......maybe injectors.....?????...Thanks
Good to hear you are making progress, and that you haven't had to go too deep. Injectors could make all the difference.