Bobcat 863 Fuel Issues & Engine Run Away

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

9inchaxle

Just bought this skid steer recently. This is my first chance at trying to get it started. When I purchased it I knew it had starting issues. I found poor flow from the tank when using the bulb. I also found very dark contaminated fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and primed the fuel lines to the filter until their was no air. My fuel supply is a gallon plastic bottle for now. I loosen a high pressure pump nut to see if the system would build high pressure and cranked the engine. It fired a couple of times with dark smoke, so I tighten the fitting and cranked some more. It started and ran at high RPM, Black smoke and would not shutdown, throttle position at idle key off & removed. I tried the manual shutdown lever, no effect. I pulled the fuel line out of my bottle, the engine shutdown in about 5 seconds. I have removed the fuel shutdown solenoid and checked it's movement it extends and retracts the arm. While the solenoid was removed, I moved the manual shutdown lever and can see a vertical stud move back and forth but I can not see or understand how they move anything in the bore. The electrical solenoid linkage does not interfere with the manual linkage. Does any one have a Idea the theory of operation for this? What suppose to move to shut down the fuel? Deutz F4L 1011F

foton

I do not know much about the deutz but black smoke can indicate over fueling ,do you know if the governor operated? And the next time you start it have the air inlet easily accessible to be blocked off to stop it quickly, from what I have read the deutz is a good long life engine. maybe the fuel rail is stuck open??

OP
OP

9inchaxle

I do not know much about the deutz but black smoke can indicate over fueling ,do you know if the governor operated? And the next time you start it have the air inlet easily accessible to be blocked off to stop it quickly, from what I have read the deutz is a good long life engine. maybe the fuel rail is stuck open??
Made some discoveries today. I read the Diesel Owners Resource Page (https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/deutz-fuel-rack.html) It gave me some ideas about how the injectors are controlled during shutdown. I found that the injector were installed incorrectly and the control rod was bent. This was probably the problem that caused the runaway. I want to get the engine running enough to get the Bobcat off the trailer and into a place I can work on it. So I made a gig to bend the rail up. It seem to work enough to free up the rail. The spring that moves the rail brings the rail all the way to the right to the stop. I installed the shut down solenoid and the rail moves freely back forth. I'm going to order the alignment pin that holds the rail into place and re-install the injectors. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

bttpe

Made some discoveries today. I read the Diesel Owners Resource Page (https://www.dieselhub.com/maintenance/deutz-fuel-rack.html) It gave me some ideas about how the injectors are controlled during shutdown. I found that the injector were installed incorrectly and the control rod was bent. This was probably the problem that caused the runaway. I want to get the engine running enough to get the Bobcat off the trailer and into a place I can work on it. So I made a gig to bend the rail up. It seem to work enough to free up the rail. The spring that moves the rail brings the rail all the way to the right to the stop. I installed the shut down solenoid and the rail moves freely back forth. I'm going to order the alignment pin that holds the rail into place and re-install the injectors. I'll let everyone know how it goes...
I've done that job recently. You don't necessarily need the alignment pin to locate the injector pumps. It will be obvious where the pump pin slides in the slots on the rail. It was a bit tricky to get all the pumps installed and still have the rail move freely. The spring return is not very strong but the rail must return on it's own (spring back). With the right side cover off the motor you should have good access to the rail. Once the cover is on you have to stick your finger in the hole that holds the solenoid and feel around for the head of the rail. Also, sometimes I see that the pumps have to be tightened down before the rail moves freely. I still have a shut off problem on mine even with all that working. I disassembled and cleaned and the pumps and put them back. I assume on mine that one or more of those is leaking through on shut down allow some fuel to pass through (So, I put an inline shut off valve in just for safety).