Bobcat 863 blowing white smoke

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tasmith

Bobcat 863 blowing white smoke. Starts and runs fine no loss of power. Took to bobcat dealer and they replaced turbo but still smoking.
They dont know or dont want to fix it. Actually they have no idea what to do so a waste of.money. any idea appreciated.
Could it be fuel pump and would excessive fuel in crankcase cause the white smoke and head gasket?

flyerdan

I gave your post a title so people can click on it and read it.
White smoke is often steam clouds from coolant being ingested via head gasket or a cracked head. Has it been overheated in the recent past?
Keep an eye on the coolant for loss, and any bubbling or if it smells like combustion gasses wafting out of the open radiator.

OP
OP
T

Tasmith

I gave your post a title so people can click on it and read it.
White smoke is often steam clouds from coolant being ingested via head gasket or a cracked head. Has it been overheated in the recent past?
Keep an eye on the coolant for loss, and any bubbling or if it smells like combustion gasses wafting out of the open radiator.
Thanks for giving it a title. And also I forgot to say my bobcat has the deutz air cooled diesel engine.

Tazza

Staff member
Well that shoots my theory down. Fortunately, Deutz White Smoke gets lots of results, someone on the specialty forums probably has addressed this.
White smoke could even be a cylinder low on compression, bad injector, or injector pump.
White smoke can be unburnt fuel, yet black smoke is excessive fuel that has not burnt.
Not sure why the dealer changed the turbo, i'd suspect black smoke could be a turbo issue, too much fuel, not enough air to burn it all up is the usual way it works. White smoke, i'd not suspect a turbo.

OP
OP
T

Tasmith

White smoke could even be a cylinder low on compression, bad injector, or injector pump.
White smoke can be unburnt fuel, yet black smoke is excessive fuel that has not burnt.
Not sure why the dealer changed the turbo, i'd suspect black smoke could be a turbo issue, too much fuel, not enough air to burn it all up is the usual way it works. White smoke, i'd not suspect a turbo.
Dealer said compression was 500 on each cylinder but who knows DA says machine will blow up eventually but cant tell.me why? If fuel pump bad would that excessive fuel in crankcase cause white smoke? I am trying to get video up.of it starting and running cause its sounds fine.

farmshop

Dealer said compression was 500 on each cylinder but who knows DA says machine will blow up eventually but cant tell.me why? If fuel pump bad would that excessive fuel in crankcase cause white smoke? I am trying to get video up.of it starting and running cause its sounds fine.
Most of those engines go because lack of timing belt maintenance. Fuel in the crankcase would indicate possible bad injector or fuel leaks in the pump diluting the oil.

spitzair

Most likely a head gasket. Very common on these engines, in fact, our 873 had the same problem years ago, TONS of smoke but still started and ran great. They have 3 styles of head gaskets available for this engine, they have a tab on them that has either 1, 2 or no notches if I recall correctly. We didn't know which gasket was in our machine so the dealer sent us all 3 and we sent back the 2 that we didn't use. Was a fairly straight forward repair and once done there was no more smoke. This was a good 15 or so years ago or more now and it's held up well.

biggie

I'm with Spitzair. I'm thinking head gasket. Maybe wrong, or worn? Could also be a weak injector?

Flip57

My 863 started putting out white smoke when the fuel pump was getting weak. I changed the fuel pump and it went back to normal. I posted the question and someone stated that the engine will put out white smoke when it runs lean. You might check that before you pull the head. I also put a cheap in-line fuel filter in the line from the tank to the fuel pump to reduce the chance of it from wearing out again. Along these same lines, I had issues with fuel and started changing the in-line filter regularly but then noticed a hole in the squeeze bulb. Changed it out and have not had a problem since.

Latest posts