Bobcat 763 Won't Move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

FlounderPounder

My 1999 Bobcat 763 is showing a transmission warning light and will not move forward/reverse or operate the lift/tilt. A week ago, the machine was running perfectly fine when I shut it down for a 30 minute break. I restarted the machine and the transmission light came on with no movement (engine running fine). The "push to operate" button seems to work fine as I hear the solenoid in the crankcase. My machine has no seat sensor. All fluids are at proper levels and the filter has been recently changed. All BICS lights are active and not flashing. The machine acted up for a few days, but yesterday I was able to start and operate it after multiple tries. I moved some dirt around for 45 minutes, shut it off to take a phone call, and upon restart, the light was on and no power (engine running fine). I own the repair manual, but haven't had much luck resolving my issue. Given the fact that the machine will intermittently operate, I feel I have some sort of electrical malfunction. I've done a basic wiring check and found nothing. Has anyone else here had any experience with this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
F

FlounderPounder

*UPDATE* I spent a couple of hours this afternoon troubleshooting this issue and discovered a small hydraulic leak coming from a hose fitting on the lift-lock bypass valve. This leak had apparently dripped hydraulic fluid in to the wiring harness for the traction lock solenoid. Whether it the hydraulic fluid or a loose wire in the harness, I was able to isolate my hydraulic pump failure to one particular wire in this harness. This harness has a "Do Not Modify" zip tie preventing someone from mistakenly unplugging the harness. Having grown much more patient and less impulsive over the years, I didn't cut the tie off and dive in to a wiring repair (really proud of myself for this!). I've noticed a couple of threads discussing this solenoid and the harness. I'd like to unplug this harness in order to service the connections in the wire fitting. I feel I can clean the harness and better secure the loose wire. ??QUESTION FOR THE BOBCAT GURUS?? What steps do I need to take, prior to unplugging the harness, to prevent damaging this solenoid? Will disconnecting this harness cause any and what damage to the solenoid? How in the world do I make new paragraphs? I've changed the HTML option in my profile. I can't seem to figure that out. Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

siduramaxde

*UPDATE* I spent a couple of hours this afternoon troubleshooting this issue and discovered a small hydraulic leak coming from a hose fitting on the lift-lock bypass valve. This leak had apparently dripped hydraulic fluid in to the wiring harness for the traction lock solenoid. Whether it the hydraulic fluid or a loose wire in the harness, I was able to isolate my hydraulic pump failure to one particular wire in this harness. This harness has a "Do Not Modify" zip tie preventing someone from mistakenly unplugging the harness. Having grown much more patient and less impulsive over the years, I didn't cut the tie off and dive in to a wiring repair (really proud of myself for this!). I've noticed a couple of threads discussing this solenoid and the harness. I'd like to unplug this harness in order to service the connections in the wire fitting. I feel I can clean the harness and better secure the loose wire. ??QUESTION FOR THE BOBCAT GURUS?? What steps do I need to take, prior to unplugging the harness, to prevent damaging this solenoid? Will disconnecting this harness cause any and what damage to the solenoid? How in the world do I make new paragraphs? I've changed the HTML option in my profile. I can't seem to figure that out. Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
I am unfamiliar with the solenoid or wiring harness you speak of, however, I would guess that the tag is there for a safety aspect. I can't imagine that unplugging the solenoid would cause any damage. My guess is that unplugging the solenoid could cause the lift arms could fall or the machine could roll if it is unplugged. Bobcat does not want you to get run over or smashed due to disconnecting the solenoid.

OP
OP
F

FlounderPounder

I am unfamiliar with the solenoid or wiring harness you speak of, however, I would guess that the tag is there for a safety aspect. I can't imagine that unplugging the solenoid would cause any damage. My guess is that unplugging the solenoid could cause the lift arms could fall or the machine could roll if it is unplugged. Bobcat does not want you to get run over or smashed due to disconnecting the solenoid.
The idea of the machine rolling makes sense considering the traction lock prevents the machine from moving. The repair manual notes that unplugging that harness should be done by certified bobcat technician. Time permitting, I'll dig a little deeper into the manual in regards to chancging this part. This whole issue has been mind boggling, but fortunately I found the needle in the haystack. Thanks for your reply!

7LBSSMALLIE

The idea of the machine rolling makes sense considering the traction lock prevents the machine from moving. The repair manual notes that unplugging that harness should be done by certified bobcat technician. Time permitting, I'll dig a little deeper into the manual in regards to chancging this part. This whole issue has been mind boggling, but fortunately I found the needle in the haystack. Thanks for your reply!
when you say transmission warning light. typically this is lower one on lh dash. (I think) just a guess. either or it don't matter .(CHECK YOURE DRIVE BELT) report back yay or nay , 763 f easy stuff. god I wish it stayed that way . don't worry bro got youre back.

OP
OP
F

FlounderPounder

when you say transmission warning light. typically this is lower one on lh dash. (I think) just a guess. either or it don't matter .(CHECK YOURE DRIVE BELT) report back yay or nay , 763 f easy stuff. god I wish it stayed that way . don't worry bro got youre back.
Drive belt should be fine. I just replaced it a few months ago, but I'll double check in the next day or 2. It seems that I have a loose connection in the traction lock solenoid wiring harness preventing the hydraulic pump from starting. I can touch the red wire in that harness while the cab is up and the engine running and hear the pump engage hence the machine operates normally. When the pump isn't running, the transmission warning light (left one on lh dash) is lit red, when I jiggle harness and get the pump running, light goes off. The loose connection is preventing the pump from starting. Obviously I can't raise the cab every time I want to run the machine (I guess I could), so I want to disconnect the harness and check/tighten the connections. My concern was the DO NOT MODIFY zip tie holding the harness together and cutting that strap without knowing why it can't be modified. I plan on chocking the tires, lift arm down, disconnecting battery prior to unhooking the harness and cleaning/tightening the connections. Years of working on my Yamaha outboard have taught me to look before I leap. I'm on the coast and salt air eats everything! Thanks!

mmsllc

Drive belt should be fine. I just replaced it a few months ago, but I'll double check in the next day or 2. It seems that I have a loose connection in the traction lock solenoid wiring harness preventing the hydraulic pump from starting. I can touch the red wire in that harness while the cab is up and the engine running and hear the pump engage hence the machine operates normally. When the pump isn't running, the transmission warning light (left one on lh dash) is lit red, when I jiggle harness and get the pump running, light goes off. The loose connection is preventing the pump from starting. Obviously I can't raise the cab every time I want to run the machine (I guess I could), so I want to disconnect the harness and check/tighten the connections. My concern was the DO NOT MODIFY zip tie holding the harness together and cutting that strap without knowing why it can't be modified. I plan on chocking the tires, lift arm down, disconnecting battery prior to unhooking the harness and cleaning/tightening the connections. Years of working on my Yamaha outboard have taught me to look before I leap. I'm on the coast and salt air eats everything! Thanks!
This will probably rub someone the wrong way, but if the connection seems loose at the wiring quick release / disconnect connector, you can just cut it out & repair the wiring with a couple of mechanical butt splices. Electrically it will work!! You can even use a couple of the fancier / more weather resistant kind that require you to heat them up with a heat gun. Just cut one wire at a time to ensure you do not cross the wires. *** PLEASE *** be sure to chock all of the wheels to ensure you do not get hurt while trying that.