Bobcat 763 Front Hydraulics Very Loose

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SpaceCase614

I have noticed that the front connection on my hydraulic ram, to pivot the front plate, is very loose. The front plate can move about 2" forward and back with the machine off just from slop in the connection. Also the front plate slides side to side about an inch. Is this much slop normal? If not what am I looking at to repair it. I see where the pins come out so it can't be a difficult job but would sure be nice to keep stuff from just bouncing around on the front.

Tazza

Staff member
That is too much play. You will need to replace the pins and bushings to try and take up the slop.
SOme times the wear is so bad that new bosses are required or line boring the bosses to get them round again.
As for the side to side play, i machined nylon stock to take it up on mine so there is no side to side play. This also keeps dirt out of the pivot points reducing wear.
Images of how i did it on two different Bobtaches can be seen here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Bobtach/
One was a real mess, the previous owner drilled the pivot point bosses out, that's why i could bore all the way through. The other ram pivot point is standard. I bored it out and installed sleeves to take it back to 1 1/4"

OP
OP
SpaceCase614

SpaceCase614

That is too much play. You will need to replace the pins and bushings to try and take up the slop.
SOme times the wear is so bad that new bosses are required or line boring the bosses to get them round again.
As for the side to side play, i machined nylon stock to take it up on mine so there is no side to side play. This also keeps dirt out of the pivot points reducing wear.
Images of how i did it on two different Bobtaches can be seen here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Bobtach/
One was a real mess, the previous owner drilled the pivot point bosses out, that's why i could bore all the way through. The other ram pivot point is standard. I bored it out and installed sleeves to take it back to 1 1/4"
I took it apart last night. There are no bushings. The pin is 1 1/4" in diameter and the holes in the plate are just over 1 3/8" and in the end of the ram are about 1 7/16". I figured maybe it's the wrong pin and it should be a 1 3/8" pin. That would take out 90% of the slop. Good call on the nylon spacers. I've got a cnc mill so I can make those no problem to stop that side to side motion.

SkidRoe

I recently had the same problem with mine. I bored and bushed mine, then made an over sized pin.

OP
OP
SpaceCase614

SpaceCase614

I recently had the same problem with mine. I bored and bushed mine, then made an over sized pin.
I called the dealer. He confirmed it should be a 1.25" pin which it is. He also said there should be a press in bushing in the end of the ram which there is not. He said it's $10 so I'm going to get one. As for the ears on the plate, that he said I'd have to weld in a tube or something to close that back up to 1.25". We'll see where I'm at with this press in bushing and I'll get something to fix the ears.

HarryN

I called the dealer. He confirmed it should be a 1.25" pin which it is. He also said there should be a press in bushing in the end of the ram which there is not. He said it's $10 so I'm going to get one. As for the ears on the plate, that he said I'd have to weld in a tube or something to close that back up to 1.25". We'll see where I'm at with this press in bushing and I'll get something to fix the ears.
Please send us some pictures of your repair. We'd like to see your results....

Tazza

Staff member
When you get to repairing the ears, the thread Line Boring my Quicktach Bores will show you a couple of home built rigs that were used to complete that repair.
Excellent thread, depending on the gear you have access to, everything can be repaired.