Bobcat 743 won't prime/no fuel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KDM

I can't get fuel to flow using the primer bulb unless I disconnect the fuel line from the lifting pump. Can I bypass the lifting pump with a general purpose electric fuel pump? How would I wire it? Thanks Kirk

Tazza

Staff member
Did you first open the bleed screw on the injector pump? Sometimes they get broken off and you don't know its even there. Its where the fuel line and tap of lines connect to the pump. If it still won't prime, i assume you squeeze the bulb and it it still squishy and not firm you may have a bad primer bulb, there is a one way valve in there that may be stuck. It needs to hold closed when you squeeze to hold the pressure.
Start with the bleed screw, if that fails let me know EXACTLY what the primer bulb is doing when you squeeze it. The fuel lines on these machines is so simple, i run mine out of fuel every so often, it takes me seconds to re-prime it.

OP
OP
K

KDM

Did you first open the bleed screw on the injector pump? Sometimes they get broken off and you don't know its even there. Its where the fuel line and tap of lines connect to the pump. If it still won't prime, i assume you squeeze the bulb and it it still squishy and not firm you may have a bad primer bulb, there is a one way valve in there that may be stuck. It needs to hold closed when you squeeze to hold the pressure.
Start with the bleed screw, if that fails let me know EXACTLY what the primer bulb is doing when you squeeze it. The fuel lines on these machines is so simple, i run mine out of fuel every so often, it takes me seconds to re-prime it.
The primer bulb is very firm. I disconnect the fuel line from the lift pump and fuel flows. The problem seems to be with the lift pump but no sure of anything at this point. It turns over strong and I get white smoke but when I pull the fuel lines little to no fuel is coming out. Oh from the tank it is flowing. I replaced the V1702 with a 2200 so fuel pump looks a little different but it seems to be very simular.

Tazza

Staff member
The primer bulb is very firm. I disconnect the fuel line from the lift pump and fuel flows. The problem seems to be with the lift pump but no sure of anything at this point. It turns over strong and I get white smoke but when I pull the fuel lines little to no fuel is coming out. Oh from the tank it is flowing. I replaced the V1702 with a 2200 so fuel pump looks a little different but it seems to be very simular.
You need to loosen the bleed screw at the injector pump, the fuel will then flow back to the tank. If the primer bulb is firm and you get fuel flowing after the lift pump it sounds like your lift pump is at least allowing fuel to flow. Or are you talking fuel will flow BEFORE the lift pump only? i guess one of the one way valves could be stuck inside the pump if it will only flow before the pump.
Now white smoke indicates un-burnt fuel. Ensure your fuel shut off solenoid is working, if its not holding the shut down arm correctly it could be preventing fuel getting to the injectors.
Just a few ideas....

ddsprint

You need to loosen the bleed screw at the injector pump, the fuel will then flow back to the tank. If the primer bulb is firm and you get fuel flowing after the lift pump it sounds like your lift pump is at least allowing fuel to flow. Or are you talking fuel will flow BEFORE the lift pump only? i guess one of the one way valves could be stuck inside the pump if it will only flow before the pump.
Now white smoke indicates un-burnt fuel. Ensure your fuel shut off solenoid is working, if its not holding the shut down arm correctly it could be preventing fuel getting to the injectors.
Just a few ideas....
when u turn over the engine crack the line open on the first injector while turning over this push the air out and when fuel starts pushing out close and go to next if necessary it will start try that,