Bobcat 610 Steering only at high variable speed

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

WisJack

HI, I have bobcat 610 and really like it. Even has the old school bobtach which is nice. When I bought it, I replaced the clutches, rebuilt one cylinder for the boom and rebuild the variable speed at the sheave end. I believe the sheave is blown out again after several months of use. But I have notice that it will only really turn or spin at the higher speed settings. Is that normal? Also I am thinking about just capping off it off at the VS lever and just have the sheaves bolted together. I move snow, dirt, gravel, even got a set of forks for the old girl to lift up 8 -10 sections of logs I cut on my property. Second part of my lengthy post I want to make her bulletproof as possible. What can I do? It runs on LP which is nice, and everything works. oh last thing, just lately the boom doesn't want to seem to go up as it normally would. Hyd pump or bad cylinder

6brnorma

It is difficult to tell what is happening from your description. If I understand…..the "variable speed sheave" (on the engine) will operate……you can put it in high speed and move it to low speed? Does it spray/leak hydraulic oil when you do that? If the variable speed sheave functions then you need to look at other areas. First the "driven sheave" (spring loaded under seat) may not be functioning correctly. Use a mirror to see down the three pins/bolts and note if they have worn an oval in the sheave half. Are the pins worn? Has the sheave been greased so that it functions on the shaft? Is the belt in good shape? If the belt width has worn to less then 1 9/19 it is time to change it. I would not bolt them together but I've seen it done.
Slow lift could be several things….internal/external cylinder leaks, Hydro pump, valve issues….even linkage adjustment (which I doubt if it was working before).
Bullet proof????……armor plate! ;-)

6brnorma

It is difficult to tell what is happening from your description. If I understand…..the "variable speed sheave" (on the engine) will operate……you can put it in high speed and move it to low speed? Does it spray/leak hydraulic oil when you do that? If the variable speed sheave functions then you need to look at other areas. First the "driven sheave" (spring loaded under seat) may not be functioning correctly. Use a mirror to see down the three pins/bolts and note if they have worn an oval in the sheave half. Are the pins worn? Has the sheave been greased so that it functions on the shaft? Is the belt in good shape? If the belt width has worn to less then 1 9/19 it is time to change it. I would not bolt them together but I've seen it done.
Slow lift could be several things….internal/external cylinder leaks, Hydro pump, valve issues….even linkage adjustment (which I doubt if it was working before).
Bullet proof????……armor plate! ;-)
That was supposed to read..... 1 9/16

OP
OP
W

WisJack

That was supposed to read..... 1 9/16
Thanks for the reply. The variable speed is leaking at the sheave end, that slides. I have changed the orings and plunger orings already. I have even turned down the pressure. But that doesn't explain why it doesn't turn at low speed. I am thinking since the clutches are newer, that the linkages maybe be worn?? I have 3 inches of play forward and back like the manual describes. I have even replaced the springs on the linkages themselves. Not sure what else it could be. Could the clutch plates (mental( be the reason why.

6brnorma

Thanks for the reply. The variable speed is leaking at the sheave end, that slides. I have changed the orings and plunger orings already. I have even turned down the pressure. But that doesn't explain why it doesn't turn at low speed. I am thinking since the clutches are newer, that the linkages maybe be worn?? I have 3 inches of play forward and back like the manual describes. I have even replaced the springs on the linkages themselves. Not sure what else it could be. Could the clutch plates (mental( be the reason why.
You keep saying "it" doesn't turn at low speed………I don't know what "it" is. Are you talking about the jackshaft/driven sheave or the machine? Is the belt so loose that it does not drive the driven sheave?

6brnorma

You keep saying "it" doesn't turn at low speed………I don't know what "it" is. Are you talking about the jackshaft/driven sheave or the machine? Is the belt so loose that it does not drive the driven sheave?
If the variable speed sheave is leaking……..your entire problem may be as simple as having oil on the sheave face and belt causing the belt to slip.

upnorth4951

I think he means it wont steer at low speeds.

Latest posts