bobcat 610 hydraulics not moving

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Yzracer239

Ive got a 610 which I bought needing repairs so I havent used yet, though I know the hydraulics worked, as I saw it lift the rear end of a small truck. Now that I have the mechanicals mostly ironed out, I went to hit the pedals today and nothing would move. I did install a new Hydraulic filter, so Im assuming theres a big air pocket. I held both pedals both directions for 10-20 seconds and still nothing. What are my forum friends thoughts?

alchemysa

Could be a few things but, first up, check the oil level. You probably lost a bit when you changed the filter. Its a very fine line between having enough and not having enough. I have this same problem myself at the moment - not wanting to put oil in it because I'm rebuilding things. If its facing the wrong way on a gentle slope I lose the hydraulics.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

Could be a few things but, first up, check the oil level. You probably lost a bit when you changed the filter. Its a very fine line between having enough and not having enough. I have this same problem myself at the moment - not wanting to put oil in it because I'm rebuilding things. If its facing the wrong way on a gentle slope I lose the hydraulics.
Yes my machine is on a slight downhill, and its not going anywhere because my wheels arent ready. The oil is sightly above the higher checkhole when I removed the side cover. I could be wrong but im skeptical the oil level is the issue. Where is the hyd. oil pickup, im unsure when looking at the hoses. Ive never used the machine yet either so I dont know which pedal goes which direction for each action. Just frustrated when I know they worked when purchased. Also now, the left pedal when sitting on machine, the valve doesnt wanna seem to come out, and when pushed in the chain link piece on the valve body, just pops over instead of pushing the valve in. Please help!

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

Yes my machine is on a slight downhill, and its not going anywhere because my wheels arent ready. The oil is sightly above the higher checkhole when I removed the side cover. I could be wrong but im skeptical the oil level is the issue. Where is the hyd. oil pickup, im unsure when looking at the hoses. Ive never used the machine yet either so I dont know which pedal goes which direction for each action. Just frustrated when I know they worked when purchased. Also now, the left pedal when sitting on machine, the valve doesnt wanna seem to come out, and when pushed in the chain link piece on the valve body, just pops over instead of pushing the valve in. Please help!
today I looked underneath the machine and found an allen screw on the bottom side of the hyd. filter housing, when I unscrewed it, oil came out. I then loosened the fitting on the larger side of the housing towards the motor, and there was nothing in it. Im assuming thats the return, but does that mean theres an issue? Seems like I need to bleed it somewhere, or maybe the fluid level is simply too low and it cant return it to the pump to make pressure? please help. I havent been receiving as much input as expected on this matter.

6brnorma

today I looked underneath the machine and found an allen screw on the bottom side of the hyd. filter housing, when I unscrewed it, oil came out. I then loosened the fitting on the larger side of the housing towards the motor, and there was nothing in it. Im assuming thats the return, but does that mean theres an issue? Seems like I need to bleed it somewhere, or maybe the fluid level is simply too low and it cant return it to the pump to make pressure? please help. I havent been receiving as much input as expected on this matter.
The pick-up tube is directly under the seat….just forward of the main valve. It is the largest diameter hose on the valve (about 7" long). You say you changed the filter so my guess is that you need only to activate the pedals back and forth a number of times (10-12) to get fluid going again. Be sure fluid level is sufficient. That valve is designed to work in series (as I recall) so only activate one pedal at a time.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

The pick-up tube is directly under the seat….just forward of the main valve. It is the largest diameter hose on the valve (about 7" long). You say you changed the filter so my guess is that you need only to activate the pedals back and forth a number of times (10-12) to get fluid going again. Be sure fluid level is sufficient. That valve is designed to work in series (as I recall) so only activate one pedal at a time.
Ive already had the machine running and moved the pedals numerous times for a fairly long time, and still nothing. I know I did it together a few times which you say wont work, but im pretty sure I did alone a few times, but ill try it again knowing this. I havent used my machine yet, will tilting the pedal forward make the bucket tilt forward?

6brnorma

Ive already had the machine running and moved the pedals numerous times for a fairly long time, and still nothing. I know I did it together a few times which you say wont work, but im pretty sure I did alone a few times, but ill try it again knowing this. I havent used my machine yet, will tilting the pedal forward make the bucket tilt forward?
Yes it will. Also……check that you don't have any valve/spool over extended accidentally … each pedal should be in the neutral position while operating the other. You said something about the 'chain link' not functioning correctly……if you over extend a spool, the others will not work. I've had my own guys tell me their machine was not working and that was all it was.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

Yes it will. Also……check that you don't have any valve/spool over extended accidentally … each pedal should be in the neutral position while operating the other. You said something about the 'chain link' not functioning correctly……if you over extend a spool, the others will not work. I've had my own guys tell me their machine was not working and that was all it was.
after checking the spool valve, it appears to be in neutral. I ran the machine and held the pedal both directions numerous times for extended times. Still nothing. The machine is on a slight downhill with front end being lower. The hydro oil is higher than the highest check bolt, and the pickup being in front I dont feel the oil level is the issue. Unsure where to go from here. There has to be a procedure of checking fittings for oil etc., I just dont know what as there are many fittings

alchemysa

after checking the spool valve, it appears to be in neutral. I ran the machine and held the pedal both directions numerous times for extended times. Still nothing. The machine is on a slight downhill with front end being lower. The hydro oil is higher than the highest check bolt, and the pickup being in front I dont feel the oil level is the issue. Unsure where to go from here. There has to be a procedure of checking fittings for oil etc., I just dont know what as there are many fittings
If you have one of the side covers off you should be able to see oil dripping from the clutches if the pump is working.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

If you have one of the side covers off you should be able to see oil dripping from the clutches if the pump is working.
after removing the side cover and running the machine, I noticed I do not have the oil dripping off the clutches. I know what your referring to having started the machine numerous times over the past few months when working on it and noticing that before. What would be the next few steps to take to see what went wrong?

alchemysa

after removing the side cover and running the machine, I noticed I do not have the oil dripping off the clutches. I know what your referring to having started the machine numerous times over the past few months when working on it and noticing that before. What would be the next few steps to take to see what went wrong?
I'm no expert. b6norma is the man to listen to but I'd guess that if you have no oil dripping from the clutches either the pump isn't working, or the oil is too low, or oil is not getting to the pump for some reason. (Maybe a filter blockage?). Perhaps I follow a pipe from the pump and crack a joint somewhere. Do you have the hydraulics flow diagrams to look at?
One other thing I am not sure about though is the action of the variable speed valve. I THINK it briefly diverts oil from the clutches to the variable sheave. So if its held into a permanent 'on' position you may be starving the clutches of oil or reducing the pressure throughout the system.

6brnorma

I'm no expert. b6norma is the man to listen to but I'd guess that if you have no oil dripping from the clutches either the pump isn't working, or the oil is too low, or oil is not getting to the pump for some reason. (Maybe a filter blockage?). Perhaps I follow a pipe from the pump and crack a joint somewhere. Do you have the hydraulics flow diagrams to look at?
One other thing I am not sure about though is the action of the variable speed valve. I THINK it briefly diverts oil from the clutches to the variable sheave. So if its held into a permanent 'on' position you may be starving the clutches of oil or reducing the pressure throughout the system.
I do not believe in "coincidences" in a case like this. You said the hydraulics were working fine…..then you change the filter and it is not working. The 'service manual' instructions say to raise the rear of the machine 5 to 6 inches to prevent fluid from running out when you change the filter……so……my question to you would be, is the rear of the machine raised that high and did you have a problem with fluid running out when you changed the filter? If you had no fluid running out…..it is a simple matter of leveling the machine and/or adding a little more fluid. If that doesn't solve the issue, I would look at the filter installation……I doubt that one however or you would have fluid leaking now. My guess is when you set it back down level it will all work just fine.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

I do not believe in "coincidences" in a case like this. You said the hydraulics were working fine…..then you change the filter and it is not working. The 'service manual' instructions say to raise the rear of the machine 5 to 6 inches to prevent fluid from running out when you change the filter……so……my question to you would be, is the rear of the machine raised that high and did you have a problem with fluid running out when you changed the filter? If you had no fluid running out…..it is a simple matter of leveling the machine and/or adding a little more fluid. If that doesn't solve the issue, I would look at the filter installation……I doubt that one however or you would have fluid leaking now. My guess is when you set it back down level it will all work just fine.
when I bought the machine the variable speed lever was inactive as something happened to the drive sheave and the previous owner used a bolt to set it at mid speed. Though I did already try hitting the lever for it to see if fluid came out the hose, which it did not, maybe the valve is stuck in such a postion to disable other hydraulics? when I changed the filter the machine was on jack stands with the rear end slightly inclined, as its on a hill, and it has been since ive been doing the other mechanical repairs. I cant say i remember much fluid run out when I changed the filter. I cant put it on the ground yet to level it as my wheels and tires still need to be put together. I guess ill have to wait till then and ad a bit of fluid to see if it fixes my problem.

6brnorma

when I bought the machine the variable speed lever was inactive as something happened to the drive sheave and the previous owner used a bolt to set it at mid speed. Though I did already try hitting the lever for it to see if fluid came out the hose, which it did not, maybe the valve is stuck in such a postion to disable other hydraulics? when I changed the filter the machine was on jack stands with the rear end slightly inclined, as its on a hill, and it has been since ive been doing the other mechanical repairs. I cant say i remember much fluid run out when I changed the filter. I cant put it on the ground yet to level it as my wheels and tires still need to be put together. I guess ill have to wait till then and ad a bit of fluid to see if it fixes my problem.
Your variable speed sheave and valve will be a completely different issue from this. First thing will be to get the main hydraulic valve running and I think that will happen when you set it down and add fluid.

mark18mwm

Is it possible your aux hydraulics valve is open. If you have a center pedal make sure the top of the pedal is not depressed. If your aux is on the hydraulics doesn't do much or even anything.

Bobm500Cat

Is it possible your aux hydraulics valve is open. If you have a center pedal make sure the top of the pedal is not depressed. If your aux is on the hydraulics doesn't do much or even anything.
Maybe this was overlooked...but having done this recently myself...get the machine off an angle. Put the machine on flat ground... confirm fluid level... run the engine RPM up to max or near max and press the boom arm pedal (left pedal, bottom) down and hold. It took my machine a bit to draw the fluid into the pump and then circulate the air out before the boom began to raise.

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

Maybe this was overlooked...but having done this recently myself...get the machine off an angle. Put the machine on flat ground... confirm fluid level... run the engine RPM up to max or near max and press the boom arm pedal (left pedal, bottom) down and hold. It took my machine a bit to draw the fluid into the pump and then circulate the air out before the boom began to raise.
I put my machine on level ground and added fluid. Held the pedal both directions multiple times. Still no hydraulics, including the oilers for the clutches :( One thing I forgot to do as one member suggested is turn the throttle way up. That member also said to use the left pedal. Is it ok to use the right? At the moment, the linkage to the valve in the left pedal is hanging up a bit strange. The valve is in the neutral position though. Please help. Im so close to being able to use my machine and now with my hydraulics lost, I feel ive taken 5 steps back.

alchemysa

I put my machine on level ground and added fluid. Held the pedal both directions multiple times. Still no hydraulics, including the oilers for the clutches :( One thing I forgot to do as one member suggested is turn the throttle way up. That member also said to use the left pedal. Is it ok to use the right? At the moment, the linkage to the valve in the left pedal is hanging up a bit strange. The valve is in the neutral position though. Please help. Im so close to being able to use my machine and now with my hydraulics lost, I feel ive taken 5 steps back.
You need to establish whether your hydro pump is getting, and pumping oil.
By the way, as I understand it, the clutches do not get oil until after it has passed through ALL the control valves. So if there is a blockage, diversion, air bubble or some other fault in the valves you may have trouble getting oil to the clutches.
 photo Oil lines2_zpsv5b7u8je.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yzracer239

You need to establish whether your hydro pump is getting, and pumping oil.
By the way, as I understand it, the clutches do not get oil until after it has passed through ALL the control valves. So if there is a blockage, diversion, air bubble or some other fault in the valves you may have trouble getting oil to the clutches.
I know when I recently took the fitting off the opposite side of the suction side of the filter housing, the line was dry. I was wondering if it would be worth taking that line off at the opposite end by the pump and pouring fluid down it to hopefully fill the line and the housing to prime it? any thoughts? I feel when I changed my filter, though only by chance my rear end was elevated, but for whatever reason I lost enough fluid in the lines etc. to where now the pump cant draw the fluid in.