Bobcat 463 tipped

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chevyz24

Today i flipped the bobcat 463 and now it wont start it cranks but not even a 1\4 rotation, could the combustion chamber be full of oil and theirs to much compression to turn over?

OldMachinist

Yes the combustion chambers could be full of oil or fuel Don't try to turn it over anymore! You can bend or break a connecting rod. Turn off the fuel and remove the glow plugs first then crank it to allow the oil blow out. Reinstall the glow plugs check the crankcase oil level, turn the fuel on and retry. It will smoke like crazy at first but should clear up. If anything sounds wrong shut it down.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes the combustion chambers could be full of oil or fuel Don't try to turn it over anymore! You can bend or break a connecting rod. Turn off the fuel and remove the glow plugs first then crank it to allow the oil blow out. Reinstall the glow plugs check the crankcase oil level, turn the fuel on and retry. It will smoke like crazy at first but should clear up. If anything sounds wrong shut it down.
I agree there!
If you try to get it to crank and there is oil in your combustion chamber and it fires you will bend or break rods and destroy the engine, even cranking can do it. As already stated, pull the glow plugs and spin the engine over then replace them.

gink595

I agree there!
If you try to get it to crank and there is oil in your combustion chamber and it fires you will bend or break rods and destroy the engine, even cranking can do it. As already stated, pull the glow plugs and spin the engine over then replace them.
I would guess as the other fellas, I wouldn't jump right in and turn the motor over either, i guess it depends on the size of the glow plug hole and how much is in the combustion chamber, you could still have the possibility of bending stuff, valves, conn. rods....etc. if the fluids or fuel cannot move out of that hole faster than the rotating assembly is moving it has a possibility. I would turn the motor by hand a couple of times to drain the cylinders down and then crank it over with the ignition. In the 7.3 powerstrokes you have a similiar situation when you replace injectors the cylinders fill up with fuel and oil, and you have to use a vacumn pump and drain the cylinder before turn the key over.

skidsteer.ca

I would guess as the other fellas, I wouldn't jump right in and turn the motor over either, i guess it depends on the size of the glow plug hole and how much is in the combustion chamber, you could still have the possibility of bending stuff, valves, conn. rods....etc. if the fluids or fuel cannot move out of that hole faster than the rotating assembly is moving it has a possibility. I would turn the motor by hand a couple of times to drain the cylinders down and then crank it over with the ignition. In the 7.3 powerstrokes you have a similiar situation when you replace injectors the cylinders fill up with fuel and oil, and you have to use a vacumn pump and drain the cylinder before turn the key over.
Refill engine oil to the safe mark, Turning it by hand with the glow plugs out is best, just a couple revs, then go with the starter.
There will be alot of smoke for a few minutes.
Ken

Eric

Refill engine oil to the safe mark, Turning it by hand with the glow plugs out is best, just a couple revs, then go with the starter.
There will be alot of smoke for a few minutes.
Ken
Make sure that the right steering lever that controls the auxilary hydraulics is in the nuetral position and not locked in the on position.

I flipped a 463 before. I uprighted it with blocks and a bottle jack. I let it sit over night to let fluids drain back down. The next day it would turn over but would not start. If the aux. hyd. lever is in the on position the engine will not start. When I tipped the machine on its right side my thigh bumped and locked the aux. on.

Good luck.

TheMEGAbobcatman

How easily do bobcat 453/463's tip? and from what? because I am actually looking at getting this bobcat 463 that has everything I want but I'm really curious about how much they tip and whats the reason?

Tazza

Staff member
How easily do bobcat 453/463's tip? and from what? because I am actually looking at getting this bobcat 463 that has everything I want but I'm really curious about how much they tip and whats the reason?
It depends on the grade you try and turn sideways on. Side on up a hill, you're asking for trouble. On flat ground, i see no issues. You will soon get a feeling for what you and the machine can handle.