Bobcat 371, would like to upgrade the 14hp Kohler to a ??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

acBobcat

Can anyone tell me if there is a 18 to 20 hp motor that would virtually bolt up for a quick easy changeout in a 371 Bobcat?? Thanks! Oh yea, this is my 1st thread..I think I'll love this website too. Its about time one came around!..:)

StuZ

is that belt driven or shaft? what about a twin cylinder kohler?
That would be my bet too Try a Kohler KT17S. Just make sure it has an oil filter on it (pressure lube system) Try this site http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ProductList.asp?Category=Engine&Supplier=Kohler They have the spec sheets on most small engines, and aren't that pricey either.

freddyc

I'm not sure about your 371. I have a 310 that had a 15 hp Kohler (gas) stock...the guy befor me put in a 20hp Kohler command engine. It seems to fit well but remember to check wiring. Mine was made mid 90's and the 310 was of course early 80's. The engine compartment gets a little warm, but OK. Plenty of power.

Darren

I'm not sure about your 371. I have a 310 that had a 15 hp Kohler (gas) stock...the guy befor me put in a 20hp Kohler command engine. It seems to fit well but remember to check wiring. Mine was made mid 90's and the 310 was of course early 80's. The engine compartment gets a little warm, but OK. Plenty of power.
Freddy, got any pics you could share? I'd love to swap a twin into my 310.

freddyc

Freddy, got any pics you could share? I'd love to swap a twin into my 310.
Sorry, lost track of this forum for a while!! I don't have a pic of the motor but I can snap one soon. Doesn't the 15 hp have enough oomph?? I have to say the 20 Kohler has plenty of punch...not even sure how the 310 would act with a 15hp...never had one in myself. I do wish the machine was original....its showing it's age and I don't have the time/talent to re-do it. Wish I was that Tazza guy--he knows a ton about these machines!! Hell, I can change the oil and do minor things but anything extensive will kill me. I did hack a partial cab enclosure together for the winter...its a joke but there's absolutely no snow inside and it cuts the wind way down. I love the thing though---using it for snow moving now...it works great!! I have to admit I really worked it to death last summer...you wouldn't believe it. I popped out 6" maple stumps (25' tall trees), spread topsoil all over, and dug out a 100 year old foundation. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on! This thing owes me nothing.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry, lost track of this forum for a while!! I don't have a pic of the motor but I can snap one soon. Doesn't the 15 hp have enough oomph?? I have to say the 20 Kohler has plenty of punch...not even sure how the 310 would act with a 15hp...never had one in myself. I do wish the machine was original....its showing it's age and I don't have the time/talent to re-do it. Wish I was that Tazza guy--he knows a ton about these machines!! Hell, I can change the oil and do minor things but anything extensive will kill me. I did hack a partial cab enclosure together for the winter...its a joke but there's absolutely no snow inside and it cuts the wind way down. I love the thing though---using it for snow moving now...it works great!! I have to admit I really worked it to death last summer...you wouldn't believe it. I popped out 6" maple stumps (25' tall trees), spread topsoil all over, and dug out a 100 year old foundation. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on! This thing owes me nothing.
freddyc - you don't want my project, trust me!
I have the chain case ready to paint, but its summer over here which means rain and storms, so its becoming a nightmare!, no parts can stay outside while i work, i keep falling over parts in the "bob port" where all this work is being done. But its slowly coming along.
I totally agree that bobcats are super fun, the things they can do are unbelievable! i have managed to do jobs that i thought i could never do, or lift things that surely it couldn't lift, but it did!