Bobcat 310 hydraulic bleeding?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fe Fanatic

Guys, I'm new here but have been lurking for quite sometime. I purchased a Bobcat 310 without a engine and mounted a 18hp Briggs Vanguard engine on it. I had to experiment with a drive pulley as the electric clutches were missing. I managed to put this together and once running I had a leak on one of the lift cylinders. I had to torch the glad hand off and it crumbled so I purchased a new one from Bobcat along with the repair kit. I have it running pretty good now and except for the seal at the parking brake where it goes into the drive case I have no leaks. Since I replaced the lift cylinder seals it jerks when raising under pressure. It does it at different positions and never twice at the same spot. I am sure it is air bubbles going through the pump. I have tried to raise and lower it over 20 times. It will get better the more it do it but when I shut down it seems to go back to being jerky again. The belt is tight, there is no noise coming from the pump, and the fluid level is on the money. In fact when I got it I had to drain about 3 gallons of oil from the chain case as it was leaking out the lid. If it sets in the down position and I go to use it at a later time it takes 3-4 seconds before the lift arms will raise. It acts like it has to pump up before it will move. Is there a way to bleed this system to make sure all air has been removed? From what I see there is a lot of tubing between the cylinders and the pump/return and it's possible that all air is not being pushed out of the lines. I tried to raise the arm all the way to the top and keep the pressure on hoping to push air through the relief valve but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions? Thanks for having a forum such as this. There is a lot of good information here.

OP
OP
F

Fe Fanatic

I couldn't find a edit button so I am adding that the arms when raised will leak down over a few days. It's not enough to believe there are any internal cylinder problems.

Tazza

Staff member
I couldn't find a edit button so I am adding that the arms when raised will leak down over a few days. It's not enough to believe there are any internal cylinder problems.
It takes time for all the air to bleed out, don't expect it to go in one day, if there is a lot, it can take a few days to settle down.
Jittery and noisy hydraulics is normal for a while after a repair like this.

Oldsarge

It takes time for all the air to bleed out, don't expect it to go in one day, if there is a lot, it can take a few days to settle down.
Jittery and noisy hydraulics is normal for a while after a repair like this.
Wish I knew something to help. My 310 is totally apart. Hoses, cylinders rebuilt, and all the lines open. I will be opening the well to clean it out. I know I will be in the same situation as you if not worse. Not much info out there on these systems.