Bob Tach plow set up

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ancomcabs

I've found a Fisher 7 1/2' blade in decent shape that I'm going to use on my 630. I've found blank bob tach plates for sale on e-bay for pretty cheap money, 1/4" or some 5/16" thick where the plow frame would mount. The question is is this strong enough? This will be used for my personal use at a small parking lot and my own driveway only, it won't be running 8 hours straight moving snow all night

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see why not. The back of the bobtach adaptor plate backs on the bobtach its self. If you can make sure the attaching brackets push on the sections of the plate that are fully supported, it should be fine. The Bobtach looks like a side ways I so if you ensure its secured to the centre of the I looking part, you can put a lot of force on here without any issues. If it does start to flex, you can always weld some box section to the adaptor plate to give it more strength?
Hopefully that makes at least a little sense....

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

I can't see why not. The back of the bobtach adaptor plate backs on the bobtach its self. If you can make sure the attaching brackets push on the sections of the plate that are fully supported, it should be fine. The Bobtach looks like a side ways I so if you ensure its secured to the centre of the I looking part, you can put a lot of force on here without any issues. If it does start to flex, you can always weld some box section to the adaptor plate to give it more strength?
Hopefully that makes at least a little sense....
Yes makes perfect sense-thanks

Jyuma

Yes makes perfect sense-thanks
Please forgive the diversion but I'm curious... I have a 250' long (blacktop) driveway that I plow (well..push and dump) with my regular 4' bucket and it takes me all of 10 minutes to do the entire driveway in all but the deepest snow, which in my area is seldom more that 2 feet deep. Would a blade be all that much better? I could see where a blade would make a difference when plowing large areas for profit but for small jobs and personal use... why the extra expense of a blade?

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

Please forgive the diversion but I'm curious... I have a 250' long (blacktop) driveway that I plow (well..push and dump) with my regular 4' bucket and it takes me all of 10 minutes to do the entire driveway in all but the deepest snow, which in my area is seldom more that 2 feet deep. Would a blade be all that much better? I could see where a blade would make a difference when plowing large areas for profit but for small jobs and personal use... why the extra expense of a blade?
Well the blade was not that expensive, between that and the plate and a couple new hoses I'll have less than $500 into it. My parking lot is not super large but big enough that a 7 1/2' blade that angles will make it much quicker to plow, probably neater too. If all I did was my driveway I probably would not bother either

skidsteer.ca

Well the blade was not that expensive, between that and the plate and a couple new hoses I'll have less than $500 into it. My parking lot is not super large but big enough that a 7 1/2' blade that angles will make it much quicker to plow, probably neater too. If all I did was my driveway I probably would not bother either
A blade saves a lot of time on a lot. Especially if you don't want snow trailing off the side so it does a neet job.
It really depends on how big of a area you want plowed. If it is a 100 ft driveway then no a dirt bucket is fine, but if it starts taking over a hour with the dirt bucket a wider angle blade plow will cut the time in 1/2 imo.
Ken

jerry

you will find the hydraulic angle to be very fast, I have mine reduced with 1/8 inch orifices in the lines and it is still a little quick. Thinking of getting adjustable flow controls for it. Having used the bucket and had a blower on the tractor I really would prefer a blower on the skidsteer but for now the plow works fine.

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

you will find the hydraulic angle to be very fast, I have mine reduced with 1/8 inch orifices in the lines and it is still a little quick. Thinking of getting adjustable flow controls for it. Having used the bucket and had a blower on the tractor I really would prefer a blower on the skidsteer but for now the plow works fine.
I've read that about the angling, if anyone has used flow controls and has a part number that would be helpful

RodNH

I've read that about the angling, if anyone has used flow controls and has a part number that would be helpful
Here's how I adapted a Fisher plow to my skid:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/bobcat/bobcatplow.htm
I used adjustable restrictors from Surplus Center made by Parker. I see that Surplus Center now carries the same thing in Prince:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-4&catname=hydraulic
Don't forget to consider installing a crossover relief valve since the crossover safety function that is standard on a truck plow setup, is not provided by the skid hydraulic system.

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

Here's how I adapted a Fisher plow to my skid:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/bobcat/bobcatplow.htm
I used adjustable restrictors from Surplus Center made by Parker. I see that Surplus Center now carries the same thing in Prince:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-4&catname=hydraulic
Don't forget to consider installing a crossover relief valve since the crossover safety function that is standard on a truck plow setup, is not provided by the skid hydraulic system.
Rod- Thanks for the pictures and description, it will be a huge help