blowingoil through turbo

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cops2ndjob

have a 257b it has been sitting for about 5 months.Just got a track to put on and when we put it on took it outside to try it out.It started smoking really bad and found oil all around the turbo and exhaust pipe.Any help would be great..

Tazza

Staff member
Probably bad turbo seals...... I can't advise if you should run it to burn the oil out and see if its just from sitting or if it should go to a shop and get fixed. You can usually remove the intake or exhaust side and see if the shaft has any play. If there is, you need new bearings and seals. I have no experience with Turbo's sorry.

I forgot to mention earlier. This tip won't help you now but in the future, never transport your turbo skidsteer without a tailpipe plug. All engines have an overlap - both valves are open in one cylinder. If your engine comes to rest in this unique spot, the wind passing the tailpipe during transport will create a vacuum in the exhaust which will suck air through the intake. This air movement will turn the impeller blades. Without a running engine to supply oil to the bearings you will in fact cook your turbo before you reach the jobsite. This overlap occures in every cylinder, so you have 4 unique spots on your engine where this could happen. Always plug your exhaust. Even masking tape will work. Also, just as important, never shut off your tractor immeadatly after working it. you have to let it idle down 10 min. depending on workload. The impeller blades are so hot they will burn up the seals and bearings without a constant oil supply to cool it.

bobcat_ron

I forgot to mention earlier. This tip won't help you now but in the future, never transport your turbo skidsteer without a tailpipe plug. All engines have an overlap - both valves are open in one cylinder. If your engine comes to rest in this unique spot, the wind passing the tailpipe during transport will create a vacuum in the exhaust which will suck air through the intake. This air movement will turn the impeller blades. Without a running engine to supply oil to the bearings you will in fact cook your turbo before you reach the jobsite. This overlap occures in every cylinder, so you have 4 unique spots on your engine where this could happen. Always plug your exhaust. Even masking tape will work. Also, just as important, never shut off your tractor immeadatly after working it. you have to let it idle down 10 min. depending on workload. The impeller blades are so hot they will burn up the seals and bearings without a constant oil supply to cool it.
I'm not so sure I believe that, the tail pipe on my 247 is very small, and it's been a week since I had it on a low bed (with the pipe in the wind) and no damage.
If it were possible, I think you would notice it on your air cleaner, there would a some major dust in the static cap, the air rushing into the pipe and behind the impeller baldes has to go somewhere.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm not so sure I believe that, the tail pipe on my 247 is very small, and it's been a week since I had it on a low bed (with the pipe in the wind) and no damage.
If it were possible, I think you would notice it on your air cleaner, there would a some major dust in the static cap, the air rushing into the pipe and behind the impeller baldes has to go somewhere.
Ron - i have to agree, i don't think that any one cylinder ever has both inlet and exhaust valves open enough to allow any decent amount of air flow to turn the turbo fins and not to get them to spin fast enough to cause any damage. I think how much exhaust gas is required to get it to spool in the first place.
With that said, there have been a few users in here that have had turbo's fail after driving the machine to a job. I could understand some rubbish getting in, leaves, twigs, dust but i can't get my head around the air making the turbo spool up. I have never owned a machine with a Turbo so i'm not going to say its all BS because i simply don't know for sure.

Ron - i have to agree, i don't think that any one cylinder ever has both inlet and exhaust valves open enough to allow any decent amount of air flow to turn the turbo fins and not to get them to spin fast enough to cause any damage. I think how much exhaust gas is required to get it to spool in the first place.
With that said, there have been a few users in here that have had turbo's fail after driving the machine to a job. I could understand some rubbish getting in, leaves, twigs, dust but i can't get my head around the air making the turbo spool up. I have never owned a machine with a Turbo so i'm not going to say its all BS because i simply don't know for sure.
http://www.88total.com/techpagecamshafts.htm Is there enough air to spool up a turbo? I have no idea. But its 10 seconds of work to never find out. Bobcat ron asked about dust/debris in the fins. There wouldn't be any, cause the air passing the tail pipe creates a vacuum in the exhaust system

Duffy

http://www.88total.com/techpagecamshafts.htm Is there enough air to spool up a turbo? I have no idea. But its 10 seconds of work to never find out. Bobcat ron asked about dust/debris in the fins. There wouldn't be any, cause the air passing the tail pipe creates a vacuum in the exhaust system
The turbo spooling up in transit is a myth I guess I have no proof other than the thousands of miles of trai.ler time my loader has

Tazza

Staff member
The turbo spooling up in transit is a myth I guess I have no proof other than the thousands of miles of trai.ler time my loader has
This debate has been done before, some say it does some say it doesn't. I try and stay out of it as much as possible :)
Like i said, i have never owned a turbo anything, so i don't know it all. I have a mate that had a turbo'd Volvo car (yeah Volvo driver!) he blew the seals from not knowing you had to let it cool before shutting down after giving it a flogging, which he did quite often. So i can stand by the fact you MUST let it cool down by letting it idle after being run for at least 5 minutes to cool down a bit. I know just how much exhaust gas is required to spool the turbo up, and I'm pretty sure you could never get that much air through valve over lap or even with the pressure of it moving along the highway doing say 100k'h.
I guess its peace of mind, if you blow a turbo you will be up for thousands to replace it plus possible engine damage from pieces of the compressor turbine as it flies apart and the engine snorts it up.
I'm sure I'm going to be yelled at for saying the above, but do your best/worst! I'm always up for learning new things.

bobcat_ron

This debate has been done before, some say it does some say it doesn't. I try and stay out of it as much as possible :)
Like i said, i have never owned a turbo anything, so i don't know it all. I have a mate that had a turbo'd Volvo car (yeah Volvo driver!) he blew the seals from not knowing you had to let it cool before shutting down after giving it a flogging, which he did quite often. So i can stand by the fact you MUST let it cool down by letting it idle after being run for at least 5 minutes to cool down a bit. I know just how much exhaust gas is required to spool the turbo up, and I'm pretty sure you could never get that much air through valve over lap or even with the pressure of it moving along the highway doing say 100k'h.
I guess its peace of mind, if you blow a turbo you will be up for thousands to replace it plus possible engine damage from pieces of the compressor turbine as it flies apart and the engine snorts it up.
I'm sure I'm going to be yelled at for saying the above, but do your best/worst! I'm always up for learning new things.
It's a myth, my brother has lowbedded excavators (with the pipe in the wind) since 1998, and not one has had turbo failure, and some of them have travelled over 4 hours, 1 320 Cat made that trip 4 times in 1 year.

Land-Tech

It's a myth, my brother has lowbedded excavators (with the pipe in the wind) since 1998, and not one has had turbo failure, and some of them have travelled over 4 hours, 1 320 Cat made that trip 4 times in 1 year.
It's a myth from my experience, Taking the time to cool the turbo is more important.Scott

Yes, cool down is very important.
This is good stuff, A real debate. I can prove its possible, but you can't argue with experience. Bobcat ron's brother probably has more transport miles logged than me (Its safe to say he does.) without any problem. So there you go, just like a real debate lots of talk, and no definate answer. The next cylinder head I take off, I'm going to measure the overlap cause now I'm just curious and I want to check how much air is needed to turn a turbo at a decent speed. I'll post my results, but I don't know when my next turbo diesel cyl. head job is, so it might be awhile.

skidsteer.ca

This is good stuff, A real debate. I can prove its possible, but you can't argue with experience. Bobcat ron's brother probably has more transport miles logged than me (Its safe to say he does.) without any problem. So there you go, just like a real debate lots of talk, and no definate answer. The next cylinder head I take off, I'm going to measure the overlap cause now I'm just curious and I want to check how much air is needed to turn a turbo at a decent speed. I'll post my results, but I don't know when my next turbo diesel cyl. head job is, so it might be awhile.
I lost one on a 740 JD skidder, It ran fine going on the truck and 3 hours later smoked like crazy when we started it. Found bits of the turbine compressor back up in the air filter when we removed it. we float quite a bit, plug them all.
Its not the speed it turns, its the lack of oil on the float, then the rpm it gets later.
Though I'm dealing on a s185 and the salesman said it is not a concern. So on it goes....
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
I lost one on a 740 JD skidder, It ran fine going on the truck and 3 hours later smoked like crazy when we started it. Found bits of the turbine compressor back up in the air filter when we removed it. we float quite a bit, plug them all.
Its not the speed it turns, its the lack of oil on the float, then the rpm it gets later.
Though I'm dealing on a s185 and the salesman said it is not a concern. So on it goes....
Ken
I don't think this one would ever have a definite YES or NO, no matter what there will be people that say it must be plugged, others will say no it will be fine and have no issues.
I'm trying to find out just how much valve overlap there is in an engine to get an idea of how much flow you would get, then work out how much air pressure there is when the truck is moving at 100k/h to work out how much flow there would be.

Land-Tech

I don't think this one would ever have a definite YES or NO, no matter what there will be people that say it must be plugged, others will say no it will be fine and have no issues.
I'm trying to find out just how much valve overlap there is in an engine to get an idea of how much flow you would get, then work out how much air pressure there is when the truck is moving at 100k/h to work out how much flow there would be.
This sounds fun , so i'm going to stick a vacumm cleaner hose out the window and hit the highway.I need to find one of those pinwheel on a stick thingiies that you get at the carnival and use that to measure velocity. Very very scientific LOL
I used to have one of those see through engines when I was a kid that showed all the working parts . wish I had it now.
If you have a 2" opening on the end of your muffler thats pointed directly into the wind, and you are doing 65 mph..The air has to go through the muffler which has baffles especially if it a spark arresting type, hit the exhuast vanes in the turbo which are designed to work better if the pressure flow is coming from the other direction(engine side), go through a partialy open exhaust valve into the cylinder, out through a partialy open intake valve into the intake, up whatever length of intake hose to your air filter and out.
On my Duetz four cylinder one set of valves is lapped every 360 degrees of rotation. Only one cylinder has to be overlapped at anyone time to produce air flow When a cylinder it is overlapped, neither the intake or exhaust can be more than 50 percent open, so I think that would be quite a flow restriction. A six or eight might have more valves overlapped any one time.
If the turbo did turn, it would have to be slow be cause of the energy it would take to make the other side make pressure.I'm not sure the turbo would work in reverse.I thnk Tazza got a point about how much exhaust pressure it takes to spool up the turbo.There has to be some oil on the bearingsfrom when you shut it down in case it does turn a few rpms for a while so it would seem that the residual oil would be a little protection.
In my particular case I tow my machines behind a International 4900 or a Mack dump so the towing machine is always drafting behind the truck so I don't even know if there is enough wind to turn the turbo.These ideas are just off the top of my head and may be proven wrong by somebody who actually does the math.
I don't want anybody to quit blocking there exhaust if they want to play it safe and protect their equiptment, for myself I'm not conviced it's neccesary. Anyway it's been fun Scott

Tazza

Staff member
This sounds fun , so i'm going to stick a vacumm cleaner hose out the window and hit the highway.I need to find one of those pinwheel on a stick thingiies that you get at the carnival and use that to measure velocity. Very very scientific LOL
I used to have one of those see through engines when I was a kid that showed all the working parts . wish I had it now.
If you have a 2" opening on the end of your muffler thats pointed directly into the wind, and you are doing 65 mph..The air has to go through the muffler which has baffles especially if it a spark arresting type, hit the exhuast vanes in the turbo which are designed to work better if the pressure flow is coming from the other direction(engine side), go through a partialy open exhaust valve into the cylinder, out through a partialy open intake valve into the intake, up whatever length of intake hose to your air filter and out.
On my Duetz four cylinder one set of valves is lapped every 360 degrees of rotation. Only one cylinder has to be overlapped at anyone time to produce air flow When a cylinder it is overlapped, neither the intake or exhaust can be more than 50 percent open, so I think that would be quite a flow restriction. A six or eight might have more valves overlapped any one time.
If the turbo did turn, it would have to be slow be cause of the energy it would take to make the other side make pressure.I'm not sure the turbo would work in reverse.I thnk Tazza got a point about how much exhaust pressure it takes to spool up the turbo.There has to be some oil on the bearingsfrom when you shut it down in case it does turn a few rpms for a while so it would seem that the residual oil would be a little protection.
In my particular case I tow my machines behind a International 4900 or a Mack dump so the towing machine is always drafting behind the truck so I don't even know if there is enough wind to turn the turbo.These ideas are just off the top of my head and may be proven wrong by somebody who actually does the math.
I don't want anybody to quit blocking there exhaust if they want to play it safe and protect their equiptment, for myself I'm not conviced it's neccesary. Anyway it's been fun Scott
Ok, MORE on the turbo debate. I talked to a mechanic friend about all this and he just laughed. He told me he setup a turbo on a bench once with a air gun with 80 lb's of pressure. Used his hand to cover the exhaust so to direct the air into the turbo, with full pressure the turbine didn't even move. He agreed that the idling is the most important thing to do though.