Biodiesel ???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Eric

Does anyone run or thought about running biodiesel in their equipment???

trg753

I have seen a lot of diesel engines running on Biodiesel with no problems. I would start with B10 or 10% blend of biodiesel because it will really clean out your fuel system and you will have to change fuel filters a bunch. The BTU's are about equal with diesel or biodiesel. You have to watch the new engine warranties from certain manufacturers if they warranty their engines on Biodiesel. Otherwise, there should be no difference. Tom

Tazza

Staff member
I have seen a lot of diesel engines running on Biodiesel with no problems. I would start with B10 or 10% blend of biodiesel because it will really clean out your fuel system and you will have to change fuel filters a bunch. The BTU's are about equal with diesel or biodiesel. You have to watch the new engine warranties from certain manufacturers if they warranty their engines on Biodiesel. Otherwise, there should be no difference. Tom
If i had access to it i would, i'd love for bob's exhaust to smell of fish and chips :)

OldMachinist

If i had access to it i would, i'd love for bob's exhaust to smell of fish and chips :)
I run Biodiesel in my Kubota D722 powered 453 and I've never had any problems. I did notice that they put a notice on the pumps that you can't use it in 2007 engines or it will void the warranty.

frank123

I run Biodiesel in my Kubota D722 powered 453 and I've never had any problems. I did notice that they put a notice on the pumps that you can't use it in 2007 engines or it will void the warranty.
I'd stick to B5 until this whole thing gets sorted out, particularly on the newer engines. To meet the new emission standards, part of the solution is extremely high pressures in the injection system. Have heard of low hour injector failures on machines running high levels of bio. Also, at this time there are very few standards that need to be met by producers and vendors of bio, so you don't really know what you're getting in your tank. The shelf life of bio is much shorter, so if you don't run it out of the tank in 30 days or less, conditioners or stabilizers are a must in both the machine and your bulk storage tank. As mentioned, bio has a "cleaning effect on metals, so if you switch to a high level of bio, you need to have your tanks cleaned or you'll be buying a lot of fuel filters. Water can also be more of an issue, particularly in storage tanks. White paint, venting caps, and water absorbing filters are a must with bio. Change tank and machine filters at the first sign of reduced flow or power, as the higher pressure fuel systems have been known to blow a hole in paper elements and push raw fuel into the injectors.

Frank