Big snow chains on front tires only: is there slip between front and back wheels to allow for the now larger dia front tire?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

portsample

I put together a set of monster snow chains for my 743B, 1/4 inch standard chain on every second side link. They seem to functionally make the tire larger.
Question: is there enough slip between the front and back axles to allow a slight difference in wheel size?
Should I be concerned about wear from this on drive chain and cogs?
Thanks in advance.

foton

there should be enough slip in snow not to make much difference, now depending on how much load you are pushing if you hit a hard surface , that would be my concern . each side the tires should be running at the same speed, they will be fighting each other if not.

Fabricator

The design of the drive chains is meant to keep the front and rear wheels on one side at the same speed. You are going to add stress running them at different speeds due to the tire chains. In snow or on dirt, this may be negligible. However, as foton says, hard surfaces or loading could increase the stress - potentially considerably.

jp8775

I have been running chains on the front of my Bobcat for years. Even if you get on dry surfaces the chains will slip and the little contact of the rubber in between the chains is negligible I have std 3/8" chains made for a bobcat not monster chains though.

jp8775

And they won't vibrate as much on hard ground on the rear.
That is true but I do not always need the chains, so I can put down pressure lift the chains up let the bucket do the job and not tear up the ground and the asphalt or concrete. I guess I use the chains more when I am stuck. A good set of tires work good, I just use the same tires as dirt tires, but if they are bald they do not work well. Snow tire I guess are really good but dedicating over a thousand dollars unless you plow for a living does not make sense to me. I have always had them on the rear. I am from Minnesota, lost of snow!

OP
OP
P

portsample

This is all good information. Thank you for the responses.I noticed a "clattery" feeling through one of the handles while turning. This is what was making me wonder if I was not getting the needed slip between the chained rear and unchained front wheel on that side. I may not have been fully engaging the clutch on the chattery side. Is this bad practice?

Last edited:

Wandering Bob

I was told by the bobcat dealer to use chains up front. I've seen others use them in the rear.

As I'm getting a fairly heavy plow, I'm considering getting another set of chains so I'd be running chains on all 4 tires. ALSO, I slid off the road last winter and that created a HUGE problem.

Do people do this? Is there any reason I should not?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

brdgbldr

I was told by the bobcat dealer to use chains up front. I've seen others use them in the rear.

As I'm getting a fairly heavy plow, I'm considering getting another set of chains so I'd be running chains on all 4 tires. ALSO, I slid off the road last winter and that created a HUGE problem.

Do people do this? Is there any reason I should not?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
I run chains on all 4 tires.
Not sure why they would recommend chains on the front. If you put pressure on the plow the front tires will loose weight on them and the back tires will gain weight. I have seen guys plowing with the front tires in the air.

Some people don't like to run chains on only one set of tires because the front and rear tires run from the same drive. Technically, when you add chains you increase the tire diameter and therefore one tire will spin quicker then the other causing drag or skidding. However, since you are on snow this really should not cause any problems.

Wandering Bob

I run chains on all 4 tires.
Not sure why they would recommend chains on the front. If you put pressure on the plow the front tires will loose weight on them and the back tires will gain weight. I have seen guys plowing with the front tires in the air.
My thoughts exactly! Made no sense to me at all.
Only benefit I see from chains up front is trying to get up my hill with blade off the ground. Certainly, can't plow uphill so up to top... and push back down!
Good enough explanation to me. I'll buy another set of chains.
Thanks!
because the front and rear tires run from the same drive. Technically, when you add chains you increase the tire diameter and therefore one tire will spin quicker then the other causing drag or skidding. However, since you are on snow this really should not cause any problems.
Yes Sir, other than maybe spinning tires around a corner.

Now to find another set of chains from other than the bobcat dealer.
Thanks for detailed response.

brdgbldr

My thoughts exactly! Made no sense to me at all.
Only benefit I see from chains up front is trying to get up my hill with blade off the ground. Certainly, can't plow uphill so up to top... and push back down!
Good enough explanation to me. I'll buy another set of chains.
Thanks!

Yes Sir, other than maybe spinning tires around a corner.

Now to find another set of chains from other than the bobcat dealer.
Thanks for detailed response.
Peerless chains are real good and they make them specifically for skid steers and in all sorts of configurations.

brdgbldr

Thanks! Hopefully find a local dealer or one that ships to Alaska ... at a reasonable cost.
Here is the website:

When you look for chains on the website don't use the tire chain option. Go to "products", "traction" and find "skid steer".

They sell through NAPA and other automotive and tire stores. I got lucky, I bought them through ZORO.COM a few years back and they were actually shipped from a local place so I got them quick. I I Got them for a steal and then someone must have noticed and the price doubled.

reaperman

If you do a bit of research you can find the same size chains that also fit a pickup truck. That way you're not limited to a "skid steer" chain where the price markup is greater. I bought tire chains at Mills fleet farm that were made for trucks but also fits the common 10x16.5" skid steer tires for about $70 for a set of two. I realize that pricing is probably 10 yrs old, but you may save a money if you can expand your search.

Coke-in-MN

Depending on what and how you plow yet seems front of machine is wat gets hung up high as rear traction is the most important part of traction issue . Plow I use can be pinned for down pressure or unpinned for float . Down pressure for back dragging as well stacking snow with blade straight ahead . For running snow when plowing float is needed so corner of plow doesn't dig in .
This is old series plow with 2 rams

This is the new plow design which moves plow close to machine , makes balance better and machine carries weight equally on tires .

Wandering Bob

Depending on what and how you plow yet seems front of machine is wat gets hung up high as rear traction is the most important part of traction issue . Plow I use can be pinned for down pressure or unpinned for float . Down pressure for back dragging as well stacking snow with blade straight ahead . For running snow when plowing float is needed so corner of plow doesn't dig in .
This is old series plow with 2 rams

This is the new plow design which moves plow close to machine , makes balance better and machine carries weight equally on tires .

Thanks Coke-in-MN,

This will be new to me as I've only ever used a small bucket or dozer blade that I didn't have the capability of angling. Definitely took at least 3 times as long to plow as well as ended up with some significant wash-boarding.
Will get plow tomorrow, hopefully it'll fit right up and work properly. If not, I have plenty of time to get it right. Maybe I can back blade with it a bit to level out the washboards too.

After 20 years at this, I still feel like a city boy at times!

Coke-in-MN

One of the great things about son's plow with the hinged float is you can pin it and use it like a bucket to push yourself backwards to gain traction again . No telling how many times I had to do this , take it as part of plowing . Also with hydraulic swing or angling one can use that also to move machine away from where your stuck .
With any angle plow on truck or skid , after first pass , you only use about 1/3 of blade width to plow the following passes , so your not carrying snow but rolling it off the blade into wind row