Auger and frozen ground

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

I am hoping to get an early start and get set some pilings in the ground before breakup. The seasonal frost is about 48" deep where I live. I would like to auger a 30" hole for the Bigfoot footing for the pilings. My local dealer doesn't have any heavy duty bits in stock for this and it would take some time and additional shipping cost for me to get the heavy duty bit. The dealer stated that I would have a 50% chance of being able to auger through the frozen ground with a standard bit. He also stated that I might have a 50% or greater chance of breaking the standard bit in this application. Since I would be renting it, I would have to buy it if I broke it. Any information or recommendations would be greatly apprechiated.

BobcatMel

Call your nearest dealer, or call me. You should have a rock bit for drilling in these conditions. We sell them all the time in Sacramento for drilling hard pan, cobble rock and lava cap areas where it's pretty brutal. BobcatMel 916-565-5646

OP
OP
500K_773

500K_773

Call your nearest dealer, or call me. You should have a rock bit for drilling in these conditions. We sell them all the time in Sacramento for drilling hard pan, cobble rock and lava cap areas where it's pretty brutal. BobcatMel 916-565-5646
My local dealer only has the model 15 augers in stock and would have to order in the model 30's. Looks like I'd have to order in everything I need, and this would take too much time. Conditions might turn too muddy to get a cement truck into the area by the time the auger and bits get here. I might have to wait until after breakup and will be able to use the standard auger then.
Thanks