ARE THE ANY NEW HOLLAND MECHANICS OUT THERE?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cldpond4u

O.K.- I have an LS 180. I have no control panel features when i sit in seat. All fuses are good, both seat switches are good. When I turn key to 1st position i get beep- no control panel lights. When I turn to start position- it starts and shuts down as soon as i let go of key. HOWEVER- WHEN I LET GO OF KEY THE STARTER IS STILL TURNING THE ENGINE OVER, EVEN FOR A FEW SECONDS AFTER I TURN THE KEY TO OFF POSITION! I can start in service mode. What gives? Starter relay????????????? HELP, JOE

skidsteer.ca

Joe
I have a manual coming for my ls 160.
I hope it covers this. I had a simular experience, but my overhead display works fine.
When I first went to load the machine off the freight truck onto my trailer it was @ 0 far.
I did'nt realize the seat belt need to be fasten to crank the loader. The glow plugs counted out and I hit the starter, nothing, by the time I did the belt up the plugs had cooled i guess and it I cranked it 15 to 20 seconds but it only fired a few times, but did not start. Then when I let go of the key it kept cranking until the battery gave out. @ 15 more seconds. I have never had the problem again. I hope to be able to read up on this soon. Must be something related to the seatbelt switch and display panel. I have never had the starter solinoid just click and not crank since (a sign of it getting all arced up) or stick "on" Loader came from te south and only has 450 hours so hard to imagine bad solinoid
I'll keep ya posted if I learn anything.
Ken

charger

really unusual problem?? i checked nh web base to check for bulletins and they had one under monitor going blank, they said to check all grounds (rh top pillar of cab where the fuse panel is,starter to main frame,front right corner of the outside of the cab rops to frame,wiring harness grounds to engine bell housing,black wire that goes to the starter ground bolt) what were you doing when this hapened?? have you changed any electrical component??

OP
OP
C

cldpond4u

really unusual problem?? i checked nh web base to check for bulletins and they had one under monitor going blank, they said to check all grounds (rh top pillar of cab where the fuse panel is,starter to main frame,front right corner of the outside of the cab rops to frame,wiring harness grounds to engine bell housing,black wire that goes to the starter ground bolt) what were you doing when this hapened?? have you changed any electrical component??
I was hoping you'd see this. Got your name from another member. Thanks for responding. The last time I used the machine was several weeks back. No problems. I went to start it the other day and that's what I encountered. To your other question. I did, a coulpe of years ago, pull 12v off the wire going to the seat safety switch (probably a dumb spot to do this?) to power another switch that controls whether I open & close my grapple attatchment, or rotate it. In other words, when i push and hold the the new switch it will rotate the grapple, when i let go it breaks the cuircuit (i believe) and alows me to open and close the grapple. I haven't used that attatchment in a long time. I did some time in summer of 2006 hook up to that attatchment and that new switch no longer worked. I did not have the above problem with the monitor or the wierd starting/stalling thing, with the starter still cranking after i let the key go and even after i turned to off position. I wouldn't be surprised if something was out of wack there, since that switch no longer works. Could this be the right path? If so, what do you reccomend doing? Thanks again, Joe

skidsteer.ca

I was hoping you'd see this. Got your name from another member. Thanks for responding. The last time I used the machine was several weeks back. No problems. I went to start it the other day and that's what I encountered. To your other question. I did, a coulpe of years ago, pull 12v off the wire going to the seat safety switch (probably a dumb spot to do this?) to power another switch that controls whether I open & close my grapple attatchment, or rotate it. In other words, when i push and hold the the new switch it will rotate the grapple, when i let go it breaks the cuircuit (i believe) and alows me to open and close the grapple. I haven't used that attatchment in a long time. I did some time in summer of 2006 hook up to that attatchment and that new switch no longer worked. I did not have the above problem with the monitor or the wierd starting/stalling thing, with the starter still cranking after i let the key go and even after i turned to off position. I wouldn't be surprised if something was out of wack there, since that switch no longer works. Could this be the right path? If so, what do you reccomend doing? Thanks again, Joe
Maybe.
get your 12 volt test light and see if there is still power where you tapped into the seat switch.
If its gone, find the fuse or the problem why it not being supplied. or get a wiring diagram and follow the power to the source. Maybe a fuse blew that supplies power to the seat switch and panel??
I hope you checked how many amps your attachment draw from the circuit before adding the extra load to it.
Ken

OP
OP
C

cldpond4u

Maybe.
get your 12 volt test light and see if there is still power where you tapped into the seat switch.
If its gone, find the fuse or the problem why it not being supplied. or get a wiring diagram and follow the power to the source. Maybe a fuse blew that supplies power to the seat switch and panel??
I hope you checked how many amps your attachment draw from the circuit before adding the extra load to it.
Ken
Ken, I have power to the seat switch (2 of them)and both seat switches are working when tested. All fuses good. I actually tested power to the attatchment connection and I had it there as well and the switch seems to work. I didn't have the attacthment hooked up though to see if it works now. I've had people give suggestions on the monitor problem. Does anyone know what would also cause the machine to start, stall imediately after letting go of key, and the starter still cranking? Even for a few seconds after I turn key off?????????????????????????????????? Lastly, I didn't know about the service switch. It starts no problem with switch thrown in service mode. Does that tell me anything? Joe

charger

Ken, I have power to the seat switch (2 of them)and both seat switches are working when tested. All fuses good. I actually tested power to the attatchment connection and I had it there as well and the switch seems to work. I didn't have the attacthment hooked up though to see if it works now. I've had people give suggestions on the monitor problem. Does anyone know what would also cause the machine to start, stall imediately after letting go of key, and the starter still cranking? Even for a few seconds after I turn key off?????????????????????????????????? Lastly, I didn't know about the service switch. It starts no problem with switch thrown in service mode. Does that tell me anything? Joe
if you have a dealer near by bring the machine to them and see if they can install a test board,i`ve seen all kinds of wierd things happen when the board goes the only thing that puzzles me is the engine dies when key is released but the starter keeps cranking for a bit?? the board does control the fuel shut off solenoid,the engine will shut off if the monitor does not get tack signal from the altenator which you have a dead board so you are probably not getting any signal!, when turned to service does your board light up at all??

charger

if you have a dealer near by bring the machine to them and see if they can install a test board,i`ve seen all kinds of wierd things happen when the board goes the only thing that puzzles me is the engine dies when key is released but the starter keeps cranking for a bit?? the board does control the fuel shut off solenoid,the engine will shut off if the monitor does not get tack signal from the altenator which you have a dead board so you are probably not getting any signal!, when turned to service does your board light up at all??
i`ll get ahold of newholland`s trouble shooters and let you know what they think the problem is!

charger

i`ll get ahold of newholland`s trouble shooters and let you know what they think the problem is!
just got a reply from nh and they are saying the same thing,if you can get a test board swap em and see what happens! talked to a couple of other mechanics here and they agree its probably either the board or a ground!

skidsteer.ca

just got a reply from nh and they are saying the same thing,if you can get a test board swap em and see what happens! talked to a couple of other mechanics here and they agree its probably either the board or a ground!
Charger
Just curious.
what is the est $ of a board.
Ken

OP
OP
C

cldpond4u

Charger: Hey man thanks for the search. The board does not lite up in service mode. Does that tell me anything? I plan to check on a test board. Also, did u read my prior post about tapping into the seat safety switch wire? Would anything there account for all these symptoms? The seat safety switches seem to be fine.

skidsteer.ca

Charger: Hey man thanks for the search. The board does not lite up in service mode. Does that tell me anything? I plan to check on a test board. Also, did u read my prior post about tapping into the seat safety switch wire? Would anything there account for all these symptoms? The seat safety switches seem to be fine.
Thatys sbout the same as bobcat then. Is the overhead display the board or is it located somewhere else?
I like how NH lets you cycle through the senders gettinga guage reading for each function.
I just hope it never gives any trouble,
Ken

charger

Thatys sbout the same as bobcat then. Is the overhead display the board or is it located somewhere else?
I like how NH lets you cycle through the senders gettinga guage reading for each function.
I just hope it never gives any trouble,
Ken
the board should light up in service,its got to be that dam board!!i know you said you checked all the fuses but have you checked the ones in the back engine compartment under the big plastic cover,because there is one fuse that if it is burnt out it won`t light up the board (just checking) tapping into the seat belt circuit won`t be causing your problem but i would take that circuit out of there as soon as you have a chance.hope this will help you out,it`s kind of hard to diagnose a problem like this over the net!!! without having the machine in front of you!!

charger

the board should light up in service,its got to be that dam board!!i know you said you checked all the fuses but have you checked the ones in the back engine compartment under the big plastic cover,because there is one fuse that if it is burnt out it won`t light up the board (just checking) tapping into the seat belt circuit won`t be causing your problem but i would take that circuit out of there as soon as you have a chance.hope this will help you out,it`s kind of hard to diagnose a problem like this over the net!!! without having the machine in front of you!!
the board is the only computer on this machine! we haven`t had that many boards fail,also depends the condition the machine is used for!

OP
OP
C

cldpond4u

Yes, checked those fuses as well. I realize the difficulty in diagnosis here over net. I wonder if I can remove board and take it to dealer for diagnostics? Does it crank out codes???

charger

Yes, checked those fuses as well. I realize the difficulty in diagnosis here over net. I wonder if I can remove board and take it to dealer for diagnostics? Does it crank out codes???
you can but the`ll have to install it onto a another skidsteer,your better off bringing the whole machine there so they can install a test board onto it,yes the board stores codes but with a dead board you won`t be able to retrieve them.

OP
OP
C

cldpond4u

you can but the`ll have to install it onto a another skidsteer,your better off bringing the whole machine there so they can install a test board onto it,yes the board stores codes but with a dead board you won`t be able to retrieve them.
Can I move my boom in service mode? I'm attatched to a log loader crane attatchment that I'd have to be able to at least use the dump cyllinders to pull out of the thing in order to get it on the trailer. I hate to keep the key turned with starter cranking to do this but it would probably only take a couple of seconds.

charger

Can I move my boom in service mode? I'm attatched to a log loader crane attatchment that I'd have to be able to at least use the dump cyllinders to pull out of the thing in order to get it on the trailer. I hate to keep the key turned with starter cranking to do this but it would probably only take a couple of seconds.
i`m really not supposed to tell anybody about this but you can remove your foot console in the cab and that will bring you to your hydraulic valve,there are 2 electric lock out solenoids,you can either power them up or remove them and cap off the hole and that will bypass your lock outs,throw the switch in service and the unit will run...****but remember that your are bypassing the lock outs and if you hit your pedal while the engine is running the bucket or boom will move!!!***