Another skid steer/snowplow question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JerryW

Hi all - I'm new here and have a question about a hydraulic interface between my JD 250 and a Boss V plow designed for a truck. I'm hoping to adapt a Boss V plow to my skid steer so that it works the same as on a truck - form a scoop, angle both directions, or a V. I also have some concerns about floating the blade when attached to the skid arms. I've read here about using a flow restrictor so the cylinders don't work too fast with the skids presssure, and I'll be doing that. Otherwise it should be pretty straighforward, but diverting the hydraulic flow between the cylinders is beyond me. Anyone here know what kind of valve I need to do this? Any other comments or suggestions about this type of arrangement are also appreciated. If you could reference a specific item(s) in a catalog that would help a lot. Thanks in advance for your help.

TriHonu

My brother and I did the same conversion last winter.
Does your plow have double acting cylinders or single acting cylinders (two hoses going to each cylinder or one hose going to each cylinder)?
If you have double acting cylinders, what you will need is a 12v selector valve like this one available from Surplus Center.
This valve has two ports that you attach to the loader auxiliary hydraulics. There are two pairs of ports on the other side of the valve. You will connect one pair to the left cylinder on the plow and the other pair to the right cylinder on the plow.
The way this valve is designed, one side of the valve is normally open and the other is normally closed. This means that with no power to the valve solenoids, you can activate the auxiliary hydraulics and the cylinder attached to the normally open ports will move. The other cylinder will stay stationary.
When you put 12v to the two solenoids, the normally open ports will close and the normally closed ports will open. Now when you activate the auxiliary hydraulics you can move the other side of the plow.

OP
OP
J

JerryW

My brother and I did the same conversion last winter.
Does your plow have double acting cylinders or single acting cylinders (two hoses going to each cylinder or one hose going to each cylinder)?
If you have double acting cylinders, what you will need is a 12v selector valve like this one available from Surplus Center.
This valve has two ports that you attach to the loader auxiliary hydraulics. There are two pairs of ports on the other side of the valve. You will connect one pair to the left cylinder on the plow and the other pair to the right cylinder on the plow.
The way this valve is designed, one side of the valve is normally open and the other is normally closed. This means that with no power to the valve solenoids, you can activate the auxiliary hydraulics and the cylinder attached to the normally open ports will move. The other cylinder will stay stationary.
When you put 12v to the two solenoids, the normally open ports will close and the normally closed ports will open. Now when you activate the auxiliary hydraulics you can move the other side of the plow.
TriHonu I was planning on using single acting cylinders, but maybe I'll rethink that. Do you have a model of a cylinder like you used or a page from some catalog like Northern Tool that would show it? It would help me a lot. Thanks Jerry

TriHonu

TriHonu I was planning on using single acting cylinders, but maybe I'll rethink that. Do you have a model of a cylinder like you used or a page from some catalog like Northern Tool that would show it? It would help me a lot. Thanks Jerry
The plow we converted had single acting cylinders and was set up with spring assist return. The owner did not have the pump or controls.
We could not find a 12v solenoid valve that would work with a pair of single acting cylinders for the money the owner wanted to spend on the project. It was cheaper to buy a new selector valve and two surplus double acting cylinders.
We have a surplus hydraulics store in our area. My brother took one of the single acting cylinders off the plow and found a couple of double acting replacements. We had to trim the plow a small amount to get the replacement cylinders to fit the plow. Make sure you look at the way your cylinder mounts and where the ports are located on the cylinder. You need to insure the hoses can be attached and will not be crushed as you operate the cylinders.
We ordered the selector valve and fittings from Surplus Center. The valve uses O-ring Boss (ORB) fittings. So we ordered ORB to National Pipe Thread (NPT) adapters so we could use off the shelf hydraulic hoses from the fleet and farm store.
We made a simple switch box with a magnet on the back. The box plugs into the cab and the operator can stick it where they want it. The solenoids only draw a couple amps.

OP
OP
J

JerryW

The plow we converted had single acting cylinders and was set up with spring assist return. The owner did not have the pump or controls.
We could not find a 12v solenoid valve that would work with a pair of single acting cylinders for the money the owner wanted to spend on the project. It was cheaper to buy a new selector valve and two surplus double acting cylinders.
We have a surplus hydraulics store in our area. My brother took one of the single acting cylinders off the plow and found a couple of double acting replacements. We had to trim the plow a small amount to get the replacement cylinders to fit the plow. Make sure you look at the way your cylinder mounts and where the ports are located on the cylinder. You need to insure the hoses can be attached and will not be crushed as you operate the cylinders.
We ordered the selector valve and fittings from Surplus Center. The valve uses O-ring Boss (ORB) fittings. So we ordered ORB to National Pipe Thread (NPT) adapters so we could use off the shelf hydraulic hoses from the fleet and farm store.
We made a simple switch box with a magnet on the back. The box plugs into the cab and the operator can stick it where they want it. The solenoids only draw a couple amps.
Thanks a bunch TriHonu. I'm going to follow your lead. I like the idea of the magnetic selector box, it solves one of the things I was wondering what to do with. Thanks again. I'll probably be looking for further advice as this progresses.

jd5173

Hi im new on the site and i had a question on the double acting cylinders your brother got from surplus center. What is the part number on those so i can look them up. I found a few different ones on the internet but want to make sure to buy the right ones. I'm converting a 10' boss v plow and i have the valve but just need the cylinders. I found a guy that built me a valve where you dont have to use electric. Thanks