airless tires, are they worth it? are they any good?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cementhead

Hello all. I have a 2002 s185 with around 2600 hours on it and in need of tires and rims. Me and the machine are now retired so neither of us do much work anymore. It sits for long periods and the tires on it now are getting pretty cracked and worn. 2 of them have tubes because the rims are bent up enough to make sealing the beads impossible, hence new rims. Just wondering what your opinions are on airless tires. Does the ride quality suffer that much with the newer style tires? I know the price is at least double but I hate flats and will be clearing land around my property that has 50 years of junk mixed into the surrounding woods. I'm not a fan of tracks so that's not a concern. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts you all might have.

Tazza

Staff member
I have never used them, personally, if the old ones are at the end of their life, just get new ones and tubes if the beads are really that beat up. I thought tye would have to be really bad for them to not seal though, you have a fairly large area inside for it to seal on.

Hotrod1830

I have never used them, personally, if the old ones are at the end of their life, just get new ones and tubes if the beads are really that beat up. I thought tye would have to be really bad for them to not seal though, you have a fairly large area inside for it to seal on.
Have you considered just buying new tires and having them foam filled? Foam filling doesnt cost alot, adds weight and eliminates flats. Most tire shops that handle commercial accounts can do it. Only bad thing is the tire is next to impossible to remove when foam filled, meaning youll need new wheels when you need new tires. If you dont use it alot, It probably wouldnt effect you though.

OP
OP
C

cementhead

Thanks, Yeah I may do just that. Airless are just sooo expensive. Even if new rims are needed it is much cheaper to go that route.

stevepettitz1

A little old thread but the previous owner of my machine had problems with tubes. The tire slightly spun on the rim resulting in a torn valve stem.