Adding weight

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ancomcabs

Alot of talk about adding weight to the rear to help with lifting capacity. I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a way to add some weight to the front to help going forward up a slope?
I know keep the bucket full, but there are times when you need to go uphill with an empty bucket, fill it up and then downhill to dump it. The S130 with the shorter wheelbase can get "tippy" at times.
Maybe some sort of arrangement to hook weight on the sides of the bucket? What about filling the front tires only with something to add weight?

SkidRoe

I have seen some weights (I think they were for a 743) that clamp around the axle tubes to add weight. The nice thing about putting the weight here is it will stabilise the machine without affecting the lifting capacity; the weight basically acts only on the tires. Loading the tires is an option, but depending on what you load them with, you would likely want to fit tubes to keep them from rotting the rims. Also, the weight added is limited by the volume of the tire, which is quite small when compared to a rear tractor tire. Cast iron wheel weights would be another option. The 463 and S70 use a nose weight to help offset the weight of the engine, which is quite a bit larger than the engines fitted to earlier 4XX models. I have been pondering adding to front weight to mine, as even with the counterweights remove, it has a hard time digging.

jerry

I have seen some weights (I think they were for a 743) that clamp around the axle tubes to add weight. The nice thing about putting the weight here is it will stabilise the machine without affecting the lifting capacity; the weight basically acts only on the tires. Loading the tires is an option, but depending on what you load them with, you would likely want to fit tubes to keep them from rotting the rims. Also, the weight added is limited by the volume of the tire, which is quite small when compared to a rear tractor tire. Cast iron wheel weights would be another option. The 463 and S70 use a nose weight to help offset the weight of the engine, which is quite a bit larger than the engines fitted to earlier 4XX models. I have been pondering adding to front weight to mine, as even with the counterweights remove, it has a hard time digging.
skidroe, do you have a tooth bar or bucket with teeth ? Two skidsteers ago I finally got a tooth bar, what a tremendous difference , even in hard dry clay the 632 would dig where before it just slid across the ground. Mine is a bobcat brand but Markham welding had decent looking ones for about 250 a while ago. Its the difference between night and day.

SkidRoe

skidroe, do you have a tooth bar or bucket with teeth ? Two skidsteers ago I finally got a tooth bar, what a tremendous difference , even in hard dry clay the 632 would dig where before it just slid across the ground. Mine is a bobcat brand but Markham welding had decent looking ones for about 250 a while ago. Its the difference between night and day.
Hey Jerry, you must be reading my mind. I have been shopping around for a set of bolt on teeth for my 42" bucket. I found a source and just haven't got around to ordering them yet.

Hey Jerry, you must be reading my mind. I have been shopping around for a set of bolt on teeth for my 42" bucket. I found a source and just haven't got around to ordering them yet.
Jerry, Markham Welding is no longer in business.. If you decide to buy a tooth bar give me a call @336-859-4333 Thanks Mike.

jerry

Jerry, Markham Welding is no longer in business.. If you decide to buy a tooth bar give me a call @336-859-4333 Thanks Mike.
Its kind of a preference thing but I like the bar because I can put it off and on in maybe 15 minutes and if going to do a job you don't have to take two buckets. It has only one bolt on each end but you can stick the teeth under something solid and lift the back of the machine without hurting the bar. but it does make the leading edge of the bucket thicker. Which ever you end up with I am sure you will like teeth.

jerry

I was just lucky , stopped at the bobcat dealer looking for a used bar and he had a 72 inch new that someone had broken one end off for 100 bucks. Its been remodeled now for two different widths and still works great.

OP
OP
ancomcabs

ancomcabs

Skid thanks that is a good idea, weights that clamp around the tube. Any idea who might have them I've googled just about everthing related and can not find them