873F No lift or tilt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

micky

Hello, new to the forum and appreciative in advance for any help you have to offer. I am also new to skid-steer ownership, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a 873F with the square lights. I have no lift or tilt. I am getting a blinking light "code" on the right interior panel under the gages. The Momentary LED is off and the Detent LED is blinking. Looking at the manual I see it it "rod end solenoid or wiring". From my reading on this forum and the internet I think that I have a problem with the solenoid valve that opens or closes flow the the hydraulic controller. I have checked the wiring from the solenoid to the bundle where it goes into the cab – all good. I Ohm tested the coil and got 10.5, but can't find any info what it should be. Have not taken the coil off yet to test with power. My question Is: The new solenoid replacement has a diode where mine does not. My understand is that diodes are just protection for the device itself. Can I simply replace the old coil (no diode) with a new coil (w/ diode). If I do is there any risk to the BICS system for some weird electrical reason. I would like to leave the old valve stem in, because as a newbie, I am a bit intimidated by hydraulics till I educate myself some more. On that note, if anyone has a recommendation on a basic resource about working on hydraulics safely, that would be great. Not going to become a technician, just don't want to hurt myself or anyone else. Thanks again!!

wrenchmeister

I'm new to skidsteers like you, but have a lot of automotive experience. The diode protects the module. It's ok to use a solenoid with an integrated diode, but you need to make sure the connector is keyed so that it only goes on the correct way.
The manuals are a good source of educational info. Here is a link to an 873 manual, not sure if it covers F models or your serial number.
https://www.edocr.com/v/gnqeanar/o20850132fuango/BOBCAT-873-SKID-STEER-LOADER-Service-Repair-Manual
10 ohms is reasonable for a 12v coil.
it might be worthwhile to make sure the gear pump is making pressure as a basic check.

OP
OP
M

micky

I'm new to skidsteers like you, but have a lot of automotive experience. The diode protects the module. It's ok to use a solenoid with an integrated diode, but you need to make sure the connector is keyed so that it only goes on the correct way.
The manuals are a good source of educational info. Here is a link to an 873 manual, not sure if it covers F models or your serial number.
https://www.edocr.com/v/gnqeanar/o20850132fuango/BOBCAT-873-SKID-STEER-LOADER-Service-Repair-Manual
10 ohms is reasonable for a 12v coil.
it might be worthwhile to make sure the gear pump is making pressure as a basic check.
Thanks wrenchmeister for your input, much appreciated!!! The manual you linked to was much better than the one I had. UPDATE. I took the coil off and added voltage – it works fine. Frankly it's magnetic pull is greater than the replacement I bought. So sticking with the old one. Question, could the valve stem/body be stuck in the hydraulic control because of pressure. I ask that because when I had the coil off I tried to move the valve and it wouldn't budge. I have had this machine in my garage with the arms about a third of the way up (fabricated a safety support for each cylinder) for almost a year. It also still has the bucket on as I can't get it off now. Obviously, it did not have this problem when I brought it in. I have it up on blocks without the wheels and the drive works fine. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated