873 loosing power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jmstum

thank you in advance for any help. Have a 95 bobcat 873 starts fine and runs with full power for about an hour. Then you first notice hydraulics groan and engine begins to loose power and idle rough. if you immediately idle down the engine will straighten out, but if you continue under load the engine will die out further and stall out when you idle down. Does seem to chug a small amout of black smoke at the time. has 2000 hours on the motor when purchased last month. thanks again

Tazza

Staff member
It almost sounds like lack of fuel, but after running that long i really don't know.....

ddsprint

It almost sounds like lack of fuel, but after running that long i really don't know.....
pull out your injectors, and them pressure tested at a diesel shop and you can go from there, those injectors are something else and if there off things like what u are speaking off things begin to happen, and u will be surprised how it can go, i remember when the kid tested mine and i watched, it is suppose should out a mist at high pressure, mine looked a guy taking a piss with 2 different streams if u know what i mean, the were used up, the test is about twenty bucks if ones bad there is more or will be soon, u can order new kits for the injectors, springs and washers metal ones, and have them set the pressure for u and there u go, hope this helps, and just remember that a deisel enegine only has fuel and compression no spark, so process of elimination,

OP
OP
J

jmstum

pull out your injectors, and them pressure tested at a diesel shop and you can go from there, those injectors are something else and if there off things like what u are speaking off things begin to happen, and u will be surprised how it can go, i remember when the kid tested mine and i watched, it is suppose should out a mist at high pressure, mine looked a guy taking a piss with 2 different streams if u know what i mean, the were used up, the test is about twenty bucks if ones bad there is more or will be soon, u can order new kits for the injectors, springs and washers metal ones, and have them set the pressure for u and there u go, hope this helps, and just remember that a deisel enegine only has fuel and compression no spark, so process of elimination,
thanks, i will get on that and report back

Tazza

Staff member
thanks, i will get on that and report back
Also, if you leave leaky injectors in the engine it will burn the top of the pistons. I pulled down a D722 that had a leaky injector, it burnt a crater into the top of the piston where the fuel was dripping on it!

OP
OP
J

jmstum

Also, if you leave leaky injectors in the engine it will burn the top of the pistons. I pulled down a D722 that had a leaky injector, it burnt a crater into the top of the piston where the fuel was dripping on it!
thanks for the help guys and sorry i did not get back sooner.. 1st problem solved as the lack of power was 2 semi-clogged fuel lines. replaced all of them and runs full power. I will repost the question on the oil leak.