873 Deutz getting hot when pushing slow

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

While pushing snow with my bobcat tonight I notced the temp gauge was @ about 260....normally it holds @ 200... Is this to Hot? I continued to push snow without it getting any hotter. When done I checked the engine compartment and it did seem hot. One of the lines to the oil cooler was warm and the other one Hot. Not exactly sure what circulates the oil and if that is what the problem is. What else can I look for? It happened a couple times this Fall. When I throttle back and didn't push it so hard this fall it was OK. This Forum has been a God send, thanks for all your help....

Tazza

Staff member
That does seem too hot to me. Usually they run around the 190F mark, but not sure if the oil cooled ones run a tad hotter.
When you work the engine harder than usual at low RPM it will run hotter. It could be that you are loading it down too much. I suspect this is an oil cooled Deutz? you have checked that the radiator isn't clogged? (i'm sure you checked that first).

sterlclan

That does seem too hot to me. Usually they run around the 190F mark, but not sure if the oil cooled ones run a tad hotter.
When you work the engine harder than usual at low RPM it will run hotter. It could be that you are loading it down too much. I suspect this is an oil cooled Deutz? you have checked that the radiator isn't clogged? (i'm sure you checked that first).
On our roller with a deutz we blow the fins on the heads and cylinders out every fall oil cooler too check that all of the places that air should go it can go .............Jeff

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Check your fan belt!
Checked fan belt and gear oil for fan assembly, everything is OK. I am wondering if it could be a bad thermostat. I have no idea where the thermostat is on a 83HP Deutz engine. The incoming and outgoing oil lines to the radiator is making me think it might be a thermostat issue. One of the lines gets hot and the other stays cool telling me that the oil isn't circulating like it should be. If anyone has an idea where the thermostat is on this motor (1996 873 with 83 hp Deutz) please let me know. Thanks in advance!

kelly_b

May sound like an obvious question but have you checked your coolant to ensure that there's no air in there?

Tazza

Staff member
May sound like an obvious question but have you checked your coolant to ensure that there's no air in there?
These large Deutz engines actually use oil rather than *regular* coolant like most engines use. I'm not sure why but it seems to work for them, there is no reason for an air lock as the system doesn't need to be replaced like a normal water/glycol system does.
My guess for the thermostat if it ran one would be hear the head, i would suspect its like a regular setup with a by-pass hose and all i would start looking around the head area. You could try calling your dealer, they would know!

siduramaxde

These large Deutz engines actually use oil rather than *regular* coolant like most engines use. I'm not sure why but it seems to work for them, there is no reason for an air lock as the system doesn't need to be replaced like a normal water/glycol system does.
My guess for the thermostat if it ran one would be hear the head, i would suspect its like a regular setup with a by-pass hose and all i would start looking around the head area. You could try calling your dealer, they would know!
Your motor is 73-74hp and it is oil cooled. I have a T200 with the same motor and have never had a problem. I would try taking your "cooling stack" apart and cleaning it. If you open the back door you will be able to lift the screen up that covers the "cooling stack". Then you can remove the pins that hold down the stack. There may be debris between oil and hyraulic coolers. Clean these well.
There are thermostats on these deutz engines but I think they are different than a regular thermostat. If I remember right there may even be 2 thermostats.

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

Your motor is 73-74hp and it is oil cooled. I have a T200 with the same motor and have never had a problem. I would try taking your "cooling stack" apart and cleaning it. If you open the back door you will be able to lift the screen up that covers the "cooling stack". Then you can remove the pins that hold down the stack. There may be debris between oil and hyraulic coolers. Clean these well.
There are thermostats on these deutz engines but I think they are different than a regular thermostat. If I remember right there may even be 2 thermostats.
Siduramaxde your are correct I thought it was a 83hp motor but my maintenance manual says its 73. It also says it has a 25 gallon tank, if I run it to empty it takes less then 15 gallons to fill so not sure about that spec. The oil cooler must retain about 7 quarts after the engine is drained because it says it hold 17 qts. When you change it you only add 10qts. Would be nice to get all the oil out. I will have to check with Bobcat about the thermostats. If you have the time just check the 2 oil lines on your T200 when the engine is at operating temp. On mine the one is hot and the other is slightly warm. If this oil is circulating through the cooler properly I would think they should feel about the same. I am checking them right out of the motor, one on the right and the other the left when you open the door. Thanks!

siduramaxde

Siduramaxde your are correct I thought it was a 83hp motor but my maintenance manual says its 73. It also says it has a 25 gallon tank, if I run it to empty it takes less then 15 gallons to fill so not sure about that spec. The oil cooler must retain about 7 quarts after the engine is drained because it says it hold 17 qts. When you change it you only add 10qts. Would be nice to get all the oil out. I will have to check with Bobcat about the thermostats. If you have the time just check the 2 oil lines on your T200 when the engine is at operating temp. On mine the one is hot and the other is slightly warm. If this oil is circulating through the cooler properly I would think they should feel about the same. I am checking them right out of the motor, one on the right and the other the left when you open the door. Thanks!
I will check mine but I believe that one hose should be cooler than the other if it is working correctly. I push snow with mine all the time and never have a problem with overheating(and I use a 10' daniels snow pusher). Could there have been ice on the screen that covers the coolong stack? I have had ice/snow there before but I always clean it off before doing any work. My fuel tank will hold about 25 gallons of fuel and I can run about 8-10 hours depending on the type of work. Next time I use the machine I will check the temps on t he hoses.

siduramaxde

I will check mine but I believe that one hose should be cooler than the other if it is working correctly. I push snow with mine all the time and never have a problem with overheating(and I use a 10' daniels snow pusher). Could there have been ice on the screen that covers the coolong stack? I have had ice/snow there before but I always clean it off before doing any work. My fuel tank will hold about 25 gallons of fuel and I can run about 8-10 hours depending on the type of work. Next time I use the machine I will check the temps on t he hoses.
I checked my oil lines and one is "hot" and the other is "warm". I would think this is correct as the cooler is doing it's job.

Fishfiles

I checked my oil lines and one is "hot" and the other is "warm". I would think this is correct as the cooler is doing it's job.
That 873 has a cooling blower fan belt with a spring loaded tensioner which blows air thru the coolers , could the pivot point of the tensioner being sticking and not rotating freely keeping tension on the belt , and is that belt not streched or worn thinner in width than new , also seen the motor mount rubbers get worn out and when the machine is running around the motor is shifting back and forth which allows slack on the cooling fan belt and it slips , also pressure washing the fins of the coolers and the engine can't hurt

OP
OP
S

slewpumper

That 873 has a cooling blower fan belt with a spring loaded tensioner which blows air thru the coolers , could the pivot point of the tensioner being sticking and not rotating freely keeping tension on the belt , and is that belt not streched or worn thinner in width than new , also seen the motor mount rubbers get worn out and when the machine is running around the motor is shifting back and forth which allows slack on the cooling fan belt and it slips , also pressure washing the fins of the coolers and the engine can't hurt
Thanks guys for all your input. I have cleaned the stacks with an aircompressor. Got alot of dust out of them... Have ran it several times now with no problems....Sid, thanks for checking your hoses....