863 - Video - Smokes/Runs Poor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KAG

So I will try to make it as short as possible. 2 years ago the skid steer died with a broken pilot fuel pick up issue....one month turned to 24. S0 I changed all the filters and fluids and drained the old diesel and had a bypass set up to get it running. I cranked on and it it fired pretty quick but ran. I ran 2 5gallon cans of diesel through it sitting with Sea Foam and Howes mixed in as it ran slightly rough but was getting better and better the more it ran. Smokey at first but ran pretty smoke free by the end of the sencond 5gal can. I also was working the hydraulics which was causing it bog down when lowering the loader arms. Son (5th year Engineering student) was helping me. We went and got more diesel and ran another 5 gallon can through it and switched to the 4th can we were going to run through it before actually putting it all back together and running it around. Soon after the switch the engine a sudden bogging down sound and started blowing smoke and running poorly. I turned it off and we checked most things and then discovered the can of fuel was milky in clarity. None of the other cans were this way and the can also had a bunch of rust like crap in it. We had used this same can earlier in the day, only difference was different fuel source. So we got another can of fuel and checked it and it was clear and we ran it but still smokes and runs poorly. The air filter was off when I shot the video so it louder. The oil bar is at 2 in the cab. Like I said all new filters and oil before starting the day. It will not spool up to full power and blows huge smoke when I try. Suspect a ring but thought would ask those that know more. It had about an hours of run time before this happen with running at fuel power several times. I dread the thought of a rebuild as I have never done one and the cost involved

Tazza

Staff member
Don't jump to the rebuild stage just yet, it may just be a bad injector. You may need to take them out and to a shop to test for drips.
One test you can do to see if it is an injector is to run the engine, one by one, crack the fuel lines to the injectors. Opening it enough to allow the fuel to pool out the connector and not the injector. If you go along and one by one the engine runs worse, that cylinder is working. Hopefully you will get to one that makes no difference, this is the problem cylinder.
Hopefully this will help you find the problem.
Even checking valve clearance and compression check to know it's good too.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Don't jump to the rebuild stage just yet, it may just be a bad injector. You may need to take them out and to a shop to test for drips.
One test you can do to see if it is an injector is to run the engine, one by one, crack the fuel lines to the injectors. Opening it enough to allow the fuel to pool out the connector and not the injector. If you go along and one by one the engine runs worse, that cylinder is working. Hopefully you will get to one that makes no difference, this is the problem cylinder.
Hopefully this will help you find the problem.
Even checking valve clearance and compression check to know it's good too.
Thank you so much for the feedback.....gives me a place to start. This really does help a lot as I begin to try to sort this out. I can gradually increase the throttle to about 70% before it starts to bog down. Blows big smoke while bogging

Bobcatdan

Thank you so much for the feedback.....gives me a place to start. This really does help a lot as I begin to try to sort this out. I can gradually increase the throttle to about 70% before it starts to bog down. Blows big smoke while bogging
Check the fuel transfer pump.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Check the fuel transfer pump.
Just disconnect a fuel line from the transfer pomp and see if its pumping fuel? That much smoke coming from the engine is unburned fuel? Would hate to just start replacing parts unless there is a high level of suspicion that they could be bad. I really do appreciate any expertise offered.

Bobcatdan

Just disconnect a fuel line from the transfer pomp and see if its pumping fuel? That much smoke coming from the engine is unburned fuel? Would hate to just start replacing parts unless there is a high level of suspicion that they could be bad. I really do appreciate any expertise offered.
The pump can fail and either pump fuel into the crankcase or draw engine oil into the fuel. The transfer pump is not high pressure, maybe 10 psi. Dutez will actually run without it working at all. Won't have any power, but will run. Black smoke is excessive fuel. Blue smoke is oil. White is lean or water. Since it oil cooled, we can rule out white smoke from coolant.

7LBSSMALLIE

The pump can fail and either pump fuel into the crankcase or draw engine oil into the fuel. The transfer pump is not high pressure, maybe 10 psi. Dutez will actually run without it working at all. Won't have any power, but will run. Black smoke is excessive fuel. Blue smoke is oil. White is lean or water. Since it oil cooled, we can rule out white smoke from coolant.
easy lift pump test get in bog down mode have someone squeeze the squeezy ball if she picks back up replace lift pump. also rember there is a cleanable screen on lift pump pull the screw and check it.

biggie

I'm with Tazz. This looks link a G series. It sounds/ looks like you're missing on a cylinder or two. U don't want to do a rebuild on a duetze.$$$$$

OP
OP
K

KAG

I'm with Tazz. This looks link a G series. It sounds/ looks like you're missing on a cylinder or two. U don't want to do a rebuild on a duetze.$$$$$
Thanks for in put and I plan to dedicate some times this week to run through as many of items given me to start sorting out. I also felt it dropped a cylinder, not to figure out why Truly thankful for the assistance

OP
OP
K

KAG

Thanks for in put and I plan to dedicate some times this week to run through as many of items given me to start sorting out. I also felt it dropped a cylinder, not to figure out why Truly thankful for the assistance
****Update***** Jumped time broken rockers, bend rods, rebuilt injectors....and it ran like this as the video shows. End result lots of parts, pulled head, new timing belt. They could not see why it jumped time but it did $5863.00 Repair bill of which $2587 was in labor charges

Tazza

Staff member
****Update***** Jumped time broken rockers, bend rods, rebuilt injectors....and it ran like this as the video shows. End result lots of parts, pulled head, new timing belt. They could not see why it jumped time but it did $5863.00 Repair bill of which $2587 was in labor charges
Glad it's fixed, but a shame it happened inthe first place.
The belt can skip a tooth if the idler bearing has any play allowing it to slack the belt a little and it can jump. Bad or stretched belt. They are meant to be changed every 1,000 hours i thought. There may be a date based time too, so even if it doesn't have the hours up, it should be changed.
Hopefully it gives you many years of trouble-free work now though.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Glad it's fixed, but a shame it happened inthe first place.
The belt can skip a tooth if the idler bearing has any play allowing it to slack the belt a little and it can jump. Bad or stretched belt. They are meant to be changed every 1,000 hours i thought. There may be a date based time too, so even if it doesn't have the hours up, it should be changed.
Hopefully it gives you many years of trouble-free work now though.
The belt was changed and I am sure belt fatigue played a part in this. The machine I think has about 1800 or so on it but it is 19 yrs old and has lived its life under a machine shed since I purchased it in 2006 with 1130hr on it. I just wanted to give an update as many people look for help and I appreciate all the input but it seems like not a whole of people come back and update what was wrong and the cost. I am probably going to clean it up and paint it with tractor enamel paint and sell it......after I work it some :)

Tazza

Staff member
The belt was changed and I am sure belt fatigue played a part in this. The machine I think has about 1800 or so on it but it is 19 yrs old and has lived its life under a machine shed since I purchased it in 2006 with 1130hr on it. I just wanted to give an update as many people look for help and I appreciate all the input but it seems like not a whole of people come back and update what was wrong and the cost. I am probably going to clean it up and paint it with tractor enamel paint and sell it......after I work it some :)
It's appreciated when people give follow ups, we don't always hear if a suggestion worked or not, thanks for doing so, i'm sure it will help others.
I don't use my machine a whole lot, but when i do, i wouldn't be without it, even though there is a fair amount of cash sitting there. I justify it with the fact to hire someone would be a few hundred a day, and this way i can do what i want when i want, not when they are available to come do it for me.
A cost of paint or at least patching up any rusty areas to make sure the rust doesn't get worse. It will get you more when you go to sell it.

JDWY

It's appreciated when people give follow ups, we don't always hear if a suggestion worked or not, thanks for doing so, i'm sure it will help others.
I don't use my machine a whole lot, but when i do, i wouldn't be without it, even though there is a fair amount of cash sitting there. I justify it with the fact to hire someone would be a few hundred a day, and this way i can do what i want when i want, not when they are available to come do it for me.
A cost of paint or at least patching up any rusty areas to make sure the rust doesn't get worse. It will get you more when you go to sell it.
"I don't use my machine a whole lot, but when i do, i wouldn't be without it, even though there is a fair amount of cash sitting there." I sure agree, Tazza. Shelling out the money was painful, but unloading pallets of stove pellets by hand, moving heavy fence posts and all was getting real old. Don't how I did without it. In addition to the bucket I bought a set of pallet forks which are real handy too.

Tazza

Staff member
"I don't use my machine a whole lot, but when i do, i wouldn't be without it, even though there is a fair amount of cash sitting there." I sure agree, Tazza. Shelling out the money was painful, but unloading pallets of stove pellets by hand, moving heavy fence posts and all was getting real old. Don't how I did without it. In addition to the bucket I bought a set of pallet forks which are real handy too.
Pallet forks are a must! I use them mostly for loading and unloading stuff for my dad.
I'd like to know just how may hours i have done in the machines i have owned, sadly i never took notice of the hour meters when i bought and sold them :( but each hour in the seat saved me days worth of back breaking work.
So many attachments available, but then you need to have the use for them too.

OP
OP
K

KAG

Pallet forks are a must! I use them mostly for loading and unloading stuff for my dad.
I'd like to know just how may hours i have done in the machines i have owned, sadly i never took notice of the hour meters when i bought and sold them :( but each hour in the seat saved me days worth of back breaking work.
Well, thought it was going to be brought back out to me but when they were loading it up it blew a tilt hose, then another larger hose ....then a control valve went out. I drove over to look at. Supposed to be finished and back to me next week. Until then I will keep using my diesel tractor and frontend loader for things I need loader work for.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, thought it was going to be brought back out to me but when they were loading it up it blew a tilt hose, then another larger hose ....then a control valve went out. I drove over to look at. Supposed to be finished and back to me next week. Until then I will keep using my diesel tractor and frontend loader for things I need loader work for.
You just can't catch a break can you?
But i guess it's better to have it blow now, than when under load. I had a hose blow when i had a load in my bucket, the mess it made.... It was a large hose that rubbed through on the frame, silly design.

JDWY

"I'd like to know just how may hours i have done in the machines i have owned, sadly i never took notice of the hour meters when i bought and sold themSadbut each hour in the seat saved me days worth of back breaking work." Me too. We bought ours 2/4/17, and I've put 142 hours on it doing everything from snow removal, fencing, to pulling small Russian Olive trees in the pasture (they breed and pop up like rabbits). Weeds overtook my horse training arena this spring so a woman friend gave me a 8 foot set of discs. My pallet forks came with a receiver hitch in the center so I chained the discs to the hitch and disced the arena pulling them around backwards. My neck still hurts.:) Guess I could do some outside customer work but I don't think I want to go through the insurance deal, oddball jobs where you tear up equipment and all that.

Tazza

Staff member
"I'd like to know just how may hours i have done in the machines i have owned, sadly i never took notice of the hour meters when i bought and sold themSadbut each hour in the seat saved me days worth of back breaking work." Me too. We bought ours 2/4/17, and I've put 142 hours on it doing everything from snow removal, fencing, to pulling small Russian Olive trees in the pasture (they breed and pop up like rabbits). Weeds overtook my horse training arena this spring so a woman friend gave me a 8 foot set of discs. My pallet forks came with a receiver hitch in the center so I chained the discs to the hitch and disced the arena pulling them around backwards. My neck still hurts.:) Guess I could do some outside customer work but I don't think I want to go through the insurance deal, oddball jobs where you tear up equipment and all that.
I too have thought about doing side work, but yeah, insurance etc.... Plus the fact my machine is a little older, i don't need it breaking down where i can't get it out.
I did about a weeks worth of work at my cousins place when he was lifting his house, that is the extent of outside work i have done.