863 timing belt broke?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ncdodgeman20

hey everyone i have a bobcat 863 with deutz motor well i got this bobcat used for a good price cause it wouldnt run well when i first started on it i thought it may have a spun bearing so i started pulling the motor well i was working on the bobcat today geting everything lose so i can pull the motor well come to find out the timing belt is broke and pulled the valve cover and 3 of the push rods are bent badly and the bobcat has 3600 hrs on it so with the timing belt breaking what all needs to be changed or inspected? i almost have the motor ready to pull so iam gonna work on this with the motor out of the bobcat so what all should i do since i have it out??and one more thing does anyone know any trick or shortcuts to help me get the motor out??? thanks for the help in advice.mike

OldMachinist

You'll need to inspect the valves, push rods and piston tops.
The engine/pump assembly comes out together.
The procedure is described in the service manual.
For future reference the recomended replacement interval on the timing belt is 1000 hours. You'll need a couple of special tools to time the engine to replace the belt. There are a couple of places that will rent the tools if you buy the belt from them. One of those places is here http://www.epu.com/Deutz-tool-rental.html

Tazza

Staff member
You'll need to inspect the valves, push rods and piston tops.
The engine/pump assembly comes out together.
The procedure is described in the service manual.
For future reference the recomended replacement interval on the timing belt is 1000 hours. You'll need a couple of special tools to time the engine to replace the belt. There are a couple of places that will rent the tools if you buy the belt from them. One of those places is here http://www.epu.com/Deutz-tool-rental.html
Personally, i would get hold of new push rods and a belt. Install them and do a compression test.
The valves come straight down, so when the belt goes and strikes the piston its usually dead square and they survive. This is in an idea world though, that's why the compression test is needed. If the compression is good and even over all cylinders, you should be ok.
Thankfully they made the push rods specially so they become S shaped when the belt goes in an effort to save the head/valves/pistons.

7LBSSMALLIE

Personally, i would get hold of new push rods and a belt. Install them and do a compression test.
The valves come straight down, so when the belt goes and strikes the piston its usually dead square and they survive. This is in an idea world though, that's why the compression test is needed. If the compression is good and even over all cylinders, you should be ok.
Thankfully they made the push rods specially so they become S shaped when the belt goes in an effort to save the head/valves/pistons.
once again old m is right on target. but i do believe the interval is 2500 . if you cant find the timing tools an other option is, (i have had customers do this) toss eng in trk and bring to dealer, takes about an hr. be carefull on that tamper proof screw on plastic cover, dont break cover . note to the timing the cam pin is not exact eyeball the hole as well. just using pin can put you one tooth out. it will run but not very well. also the tenision tool is impertant youre looking for 61/2 to 71/2 if memorey serves check man. 9 out of 10 you can get away with belt and push rod replacement that last1% well not so much. with that amount of hrs it might behoove you to just go ahead and do a headgasket it will give you the ability to inspect the bores and pistons. notes on deutz. dont baby it grunt it down a couple of times a day or wall will glaze. oil comsumption of a qt a week is normal. if you do a head gasket dont be alarmed when you look in the hole and see what we call the shrunken piston syndrome. it is just the very top above top ring. nothing is hurt run piston to bottom deglaze wash out. change oil twice. another not is dipstick . if it is ribbed you will notice some are broke off. there is a new smooth dipstick. get one: unless you are having oil pressure problems no reason to hunt for stupid little yellow plastic pieces.

OP
OP
N

ncdodgeman20

once again old m is right on target. but i do believe the interval is 2500 . if you cant find the timing tools an other option is, (i have had customers do this) toss eng in trk and bring to dealer, takes about an hr. be carefull on that tamper proof screw on plastic cover, dont break cover . note to the timing the cam pin is not exact eyeball the hole as well. just using pin can put you one tooth out. it will run but not very well. also the tenision tool is impertant youre looking for 61/2 to 71/2 if memorey serves check man. 9 out of 10 you can get away with belt and push rod replacement that last1% well not so much. with that amount of hrs it might behoove you to just go ahead and do a headgasket it will give you the ability to inspect the bores and pistons. notes on deutz. dont baby it grunt it down a couple of times a day or wall will glaze. oil comsumption of a qt a week is normal. if you do a head gasket dont be alarmed when you look in the hole and see what we call the shrunken piston syndrome. it is just the very top above top ring. nothing is hurt run piston to bottom deglaze wash out. change oil twice. another not is dipstick . if it is ribbed you will notice some are broke off. there is a new smooth dipstick. get one: unless you are having oil pressure problems no reason to hunt for stupid little yellow plastic pieces.
i jsut want to thanks everyone for the great advice yall are giveing me i downloaded a service manual for this bobcat and it talks about make a engine removeal and installtion brakcet can i not just use the holes on the muffler brakcets that are still bolted to the motor?and one more thing were can i buy i compression gauge for this motor?and once again thanks for all the help everyone awsome site!!!!

OldMachinist

i jsut want to thanks everyone for the great advice yall are giveing me i downloaded a service manual for this bobcat and it talks about make a engine removeal and installtion brakcet can i not just use the holes on the muffler brakcets that are still bolted to the motor?and one more thing were can i buy i compression gauge for this motor?and once again thanks for all the help everyone awsome site!!!!
Bobcat and Duetz say 3000 hours or 5 years for the belt but I heard of some breaking at around 1500 hours. I think anyone who buys a Duetz powered machine should replace the belt as soon as posible unless they have documented proof of a recent belt replacement.
The engine lift bracket thats in the manual will make the job easier. Most people are able to remove the engine/pump assembly without it by using a engine hoist.
Any compression guage for diesel engines will work but you may have to buy a special apapter depending on the threads.

strokin83

Bobcat and Duetz say 3000 hours or 5 years for the belt but I heard of some breaking at around 1500 hours. I think anyone who buys a Duetz powered machine should replace the belt as soon as posible unless they have documented proof of a recent belt replacement.
The engine lift bracket thats in the manual will make the job easier. Most people are able to remove the engine/pump assembly without it by using a engine hoist.
Any compression guage for diesel engines will work but you may have to buy a special apapter depending on the threads.
How much does a Timing belt replacement usually cost from the Bobcat dealer?

biggie

How much does a Timing belt replacement usually cost from the Bobcat dealer?
The timing belt/Kit, encluding timing belt tesioner is about $210. Max hours should be about 3. The belt tension should be looked at, every 1000Hrs. Good enginges/ weak spot.

biggie

I'm with Tazza. Repalace the push rods, and the timing belt. then check the compression. A"LOT easy're than pulling the Whole motor/ pump

Latest posts