863 G will not start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

7LBSSMALLIE

It could be, we would need a picture to know. This engine is mostly mechanical, the only electrical part is the fuel shut off. It still should smoke or pop with the addition of ether or WD40 while cranking. The shut off solenoid only cuts fuel going to the engine, if you get fuel in there through the inlet, it should still fire.
it sure sound like the belt was improperly installed an it jumped,the tools for timing the deutez are not redaily accesabile, and are expensvie. a couple of degrees would cause this, ive seem run 1 or 2 out but weak and smokin, to start again confirm FUEL AIR COMPRESSION TIMING., if it came to me after reading feed back timing would be first step, if only to confirm.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

it sure sound like the belt was improperly installed an it jumped,the tools for timing the deutez are not redaily accesabile, and are expensvie. a couple of degrees would cause this, ive seem run 1 or 2 out but weak and smokin, to start again confirm FUEL AIR COMPRESSION TIMING., if it came to me after reading feed back timing would be first step, if only to confirm.
Finally got a compression tester from Harbor Freight...not the best but I guess it's ok. Did not know the exact procedure for checking compression, it had fittings to hook up from glow plugs. From the front of the engine to the rear it had 300 psi in 1st & 2nd cylinders and about 340 psi in 3rd & 4th. Don't know what the readings are supposed to be. Appreciate the help.

WebbCo

Finally got a compression tester from Harbor Freight...not the best but I guess it's ok. Did not know the exact procedure for checking compression, it had fittings to hook up from glow plugs. From the front of the engine to the rear it had 300 psi in 1st & 2nd cylinders and about 340 psi in 3rd & 4th. Don't know what the readings are supposed to be. Appreciate the help.
Your compression readings should be 385 to 425.
Mark

Tazza

Staff member
Your compression readings should be 385 to 425.
Mark
Sadly 300 is on the very low point for any diesel. I believe the acceptable difference between cylinders is no more than 10%
You may want to check your valve clearance. If it snot right it may be giving low compression. Also, is your battery fully charged? a slightly weak battery will crank slower giving a low reading too.

WebbCo

Sadly 300 is on the very low point for any diesel. I believe the acceptable difference between cylinders is no more than 10%
You may want to check your valve clearance. If it snot right it may be giving low compression. Also, is your battery fully charged? a slightly weak battery will crank slower giving a low reading too.
I would consider a wet compression test now. See if those two low holes jumps up or not.

OP
OP
S

stevieb

if it jumped time the compression could be low
I took the timing belt inspection cover off and the timing belt seems to be real loose, I'm sure it jumped time. Would replacing the timing belt fix the problem or could I have other damage. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Tazza

Staff member
I took the timing belt inspection cover off and the timing belt seems to be real loose, I'm sure it jumped time. Would replacing the timing belt fix the problem or could I have other damage. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Take the rocker cover off, check if the push rods are still straight. Change the timing belt and ensure the timing is right. Recheck the timing and valve clearance then see if it starts, or at least check the compression again.
If the timing was off, it could indeed be the cause of low compression.

biggie

Take the rocker cover off, check if the push rods are still straight. Change the timing belt and ensure the timing is right. Recheck the timing and valve clearance then see if it starts, or at least check the compression again.
If the timing was off, it could indeed be the cause of low compression.
Is'nt there timing stops on the crank and cam shaft to check the timing? If the belt has skipped,it won't be A cog. Defenitly could have push rod damage

Latest posts