863 engine speed up and down

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Flip57

Just this morning the Deutz engine on my 863 started acting up. Starts just fine and runs for 30 seconds normally. then the engine starts to run down. Increase throttle to keep it running and it revs up then dies down to idle then revs up again. It continues in this way. It is smoking during this time. Not black smoke but grey.(unburned fuel?) It has always run fine until now.

frogfarmer

Sounds like its starving for fuel. Change the filters, check the fuel cap, make sure the tank tube is good.

OP
OP
Flip57

Flip57

I agree with Frogfarmer but check fuel lines and air filter also
Thank you guys for the advice. I started by looking at the air filter. It is fairly new but I blew a little air through it anyway. Then looked at the fuel filter where I notice the note/pictogram stating to drain the filter daily. I drained a little fuel out of the fuel filter. After that, it started right up and running fine again.

OP
OP
Flip57

Flip57

Thank you guys for the advice. I started by looking at the air filter. It is fairly new but I blew a little air through it anyway. Then looked at the fuel filter where I notice the note/pictogram stating to drain the filter daily. I drained a little fuel out of the fuel filter. After that, it started right up and running fine again.
Update: Just wanted to thank you guys again for pointing me in the right direction. The problem started up again. I squeezed the primer bulb and saw fuel leaking from the fuel pump. It must have been getting weak or sucking air for quite some time as it has always been hard to start when cold. I put the new pump on, it starts much easier and seems to run stronger.

Tazza

Staff member
Update: Just wanted to thank you guys again for pointing me in the right direction. The problem started up again. I squeezed the primer bulb and saw fuel leaking from the fuel pump. It must have been getting weak or sucking air for quite some time as it has always been hard to start when cold. I put the new pump on, it starts much easier and seems to run stronger.
Excellent, hopefully it won't miss another beat :)

uncleBbq732

Hi guys I have a 863 g series I'm working on.it was my father in laws and he beat it up. Anyway the trouble I'm currently having is I need to have the throttle half way to full throttle or it will stall. Any reason you could think why that is happening

cdmccul

Hi guys I have a 863 g series I'm working on.it was my father in laws and he beat it up. Anyway the trouble I'm currently having is I need to have the throttle half way to full throttle or it will stall. Any reason you could think why that is happening
I'd post in a new thread, not a decade old thread. But short quick answers... Carb needs cleaned, fuel filter maybe clogged, bad fuel pump, kink in line, bad spark plugs, fouled points...

Hrrrrrmmmmmm... With your machine ending with "3"... That means you're a diesel, right? Hrrrrrmmmmmm... Some of my ideas wouldn't apply then!

Oh, and welcome aboard! Here's your complimentary 2x4.

Smack

Air fuel imbalance? Clean the injectors? I run my 863 at idle for most chores as it has plenty of power.

uncleBbq732

I'd post in a new thread, not a decade old thread. But short quick answers... Carb needs cleaned, fuel filter maybe clogged, bad fuel pump, kink in line, bad spark plugs, fouled points...

Hrrrrrmmmmmm... With your machine ending with "3"... That means you're a diesel, right? Hrrrrrmmmmmm... Some of my ideas wouldn't apply then!

Oh, and welcome aboard! Here's your complimentary 2x4.
Thank-you yes its a diesel I'm.new to this forum thing not really sure how it works lol

OP
OP
Flip57

Flip57

Start with the easy stuff to eliminate first. Pull the air cleaner temporarily. Does that help? Put on a new spin on fuel filter. Have someone squeeze the priming bulb while it is running. If that helps you could have a fuel restriction problem or a weak fuel pump. There is a fuel screen on the end of the fuel pick-up hose in the tank unless it has fallen off. That happened to me and the engine would run out of fuel at a half tank. There is a screen inside the inlet to the fuel pump that you could check. The engine is turbo-charged. I'm not sure how to check the turbo-charger but it may not be getting enough air that way. I always check the cheapest fixes before starting to suspect more expensive fixes. The friendly people here are always a good source of information.

Jim A

I had a Deutz lift pump leak raw fuel into engine and it did that then ran away almost blew up.
check oil for fuel contamination .
if level keeps rising on dipstick it's a warning ⚠️