843B parts sourcing Q

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BobF

Hello forum, new owner of an old Bobcat here. It's a rustbucket, but if I can get 100 hours out of it, it will have paid for itself. I'm concerned about the almost non-existent exhaust manifold (can you spell "engine comp fire danger"?). The nearest Bobcat dealer is quoting me $280US for the manifold and $40US for the gasket. Anybody found better pricing for engine parts? (Isuzu 4jb1pk-01)

skidsteer.ca

Try a Isuzu engine dealer, the manifolt may require some work to conect to your muffler, but I'd bet the price will be better.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Try a Isuzu engine dealer, the manifolt may require some work to conect to your muffler, but I'd bet the price will be better.
Ken
In the past i have welded up rusted out manifolds and they worked pretty well. I used red high temperature silicone for the gasket. Its a cheap fix, but if the machine is running pretty well you may want to throw a manifold at it if you plan on keeping it.
If its a cast iron manifold i braze it with an oxy set using bronze rods and if its mild steel i use the mig welder. You can also get away with stainless steel arc welding rods on cast iron, its not a permanent fix, but the welds don't just fall off like when you use standard rods. If you want to get fancy, you can buy cast iron welding electrodes but they are not cheap.
A rusted out manifold isn't too much of a fire risk, grease and dry grass are fire hazards. The exhaust will make everything in the engine bay all black and sooty though.