843 lost all hydraulic fluid but where did it go?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
"You should'tn need to split the pump to gain access, would it be easier to just pull the pump out?" Exactly what I did today. Getting to the rear bolts was a real stretch for my short arms. Looks like I've got great access to the gear box mounting bolts but the chains will have to come off. So what's the level of difficulty pulling those back together and putting in a master link? Of course the manual calls for special tools.
Good job getting it out of there to gain access. One thing to try and do before it goes back in, is to check for wear for the lift lever where it pivots on the chain case. You have access, if it's worn, fix it now.
As for the master link, it's not great, as you will be fighting the weight of the chain to get the link in, but it can be done. I wonder how you would go with using bailing wire between the two end rollers of the chain and pulling it in that way till you can fit the master link in. I have been lucky enough to have my chain case out when i did mine, i was able to stand it on the end and gravity would just let it hang so it was fairly easy.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Good job getting it out of there to gain access. One thing to try and do before it goes back in, is to check for wear for the lift lever where it pivots on the chain case. You have access, if it's worn, fix it now.
As for the master link, it's not great, as you will be fighting the weight of the chain to get the link in, but it can be done. I wonder how you would go with using bailing wire between the two end rollers of the chain and pulling it in that way till you can fit the master link in. I have been lucky enough to have my chain case out when i did mine, i was able to stand it on the end and gravity would just let it hang so it was fairly easy.
" I wonder how you would go with using bailing wire between the two end rollers of the chain and pulling it in that way till you can fit the master link in." Yeah, that's an option. I'm going to research that. Surely there's some kind of puller tool for that purpose. Got my parts list mostly done and the bearings/races aren't too bad.

Tazza

Staff member
" I wonder how you would go with using bailing wire between the two end rollers of the chain and pulling it in that way till you can fit the master link in." Yeah, that's an option. I'm going to research that. Surely there's some kind of puller tool for that purpose. Got my parts list mostly done and the bearings/races aren't too bad.
Wrom what i thought the tool was, it's essnetually like a / \ with a screw between to pull the ends together, You will be limited to the travel of the tool, so you need to get them fairly close before they will even fit.
Glad the bearings aren't too bad.

flyerdan

Wrom what i thought the tool was, it's essnetually like a / \ with a screw between to pull the ends together, You will be limited to the travel of the tool, so you need to get them fairly close before they will even fit.
Glad the bearings aren't too bad.
If there's room, a small turnbuckle with some heavy wire made into hooks could easily tension a chain enough to get a link in.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

If there's room, a small turnbuckle with some heavy wire made into hooks could easily tension a chain enough to get a link in.
Thanks Flyerdan and Tazza. Both good suggestions Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to take a grinder to one link on each chain to disassemble. You would think there's a master link on the chain going to the right rear axle as that's been exchanged. But one can extract the axle without breaking the chain by taking off the drive sprocket.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Flyerdan and Tazza. Both good suggestions Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to take a grinder to one link on each chain to disassemble. You would think there's a master link on the chain going to the right rear axle as that's been exchanged. But one can extract the axle without breaking the chain by taking off the drive sprocket.
Good idea flyerdan, simple yet effective.
They don't make it easy to just change a chain, the OEM chains come as one piece, you have to take the sprocket off to put them on, that's fine if you are changing bearings, but more work if you are just needing to change a chain.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Good idea flyerdan, simple yet effective.
They don't make it easy to just change a chain, the OEM chains come as one piece, you have to take the sprocket off to put them on, that's fine if you are changing bearings, but more work if you are just needing to change a chain.
Today I got the gear cases off. Took a grinder to one link on each chain. Got each gear case on the bench to use the big vise, 1 1/8" socket and a breaker bar to take the shafts out. There's some real carnage. Looks like both gear box input shafts are done and those are NLA. The big drive gear on either side had some damage to teeth but one is probably okay. Those are also NLA but I found a used one online. The cases look okay. Of course the bearing races are shot but no structural damage except on one edge where the seal mates up. This is not what I wanted to find and I'm debating if I'm going to part this 843 out. I could potentially get about 1/2 the cost of a decent replacement 843 just selling the hydraulic pumps and the engine.  photo 20181215_133857_zpssw5ofvkg.jpg  photo 20181215_134341_zpsxdqzgfoj.jpg  photo 20181215_134351_zpsuxy3omvq.jpg  photo 20181215_135039_zpsj934a1ve.jpg  photo 20181215_133927_zps2taizm9s.jpg  photo 20181215_133904_zpsmnqdshqa.jpg

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

Today I got the gear cases off. Took a grinder to one link on each chain. Got each gear case on the bench to use the big vise, 1 1/8" socket and a breaker bar to take the shafts out. There's some real carnage. Looks like both gear box input shafts are done and those are NLA. The big drive gear on either side had some damage to teeth but one is probably okay. Those are also NLA but I found a used one online. The cases look okay. Of course the bearing races are shot but no structural damage except on one edge where the seal mates up. This is not what I wanted to find and I'm debating if I'm going to part this 843 out. I could potentially get about 1/2 the cost of a decent replacement 843 just selling the hydraulic pumps and the engine.
Looks like I'll be parting the 843 out unless I can find a machine shop to rebuild those gears. I'll be selling the hydraulic pumps, drive motors, Isuzu engine and any other parts of value. Let me know if you're interested...

Tazza

Staff member
Looks like I'll be parting the 843 out unless I can find a machine shop to rebuild those gears. I'll be selling the hydraulic pumps, drive motors, Isuzu engine and any other parts of value. Let me know if you're interested...
Ouch..... Sure hope you can get new reduction boxes at a good price, shame somehting like that can make it not worth while to repair.

Wayne440

Ouch..... Sure hope you can get new reduction boxes at a good price, shame somehting like that can make it not worth while to repair.
FWIW, that machine was listed for parting out on Craigslist shortly after the OP's last post. Looks like he gave up on it.

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

FWIW, that machine was listed for parting out on Craigslist shortly after the OP's last post. Looks like he gave up on it.
Correct. Parting out that 843. Although I did find the large gear 6558270 at Bobcat, that one part was $893.74 and I need two. The gearbox input shaft 6558271 is nowhere to be found and I need two of those as well. Total parts cost was $2892.12 and my preference is to put that into a different machine. Oddly, I had a message with a local guy who said he had two different 843s fail exactly the same way.

Tazza

Staff member
Correct. Parting out that 843. Although I did find the large gear 6558270 at Bobcat, that one part was $893.74 and I need two. The gearbox input shaft 6558271 is nowhere to be found and I need two of those as well. Total parts cost was $2892.12 and my preference is to put that into a different machine. Oddly, I had a message with a local guy who said he had two different 843s fail exactly the same way.
I hope you can recover your money by parting it out, if you have the time to sit on it, i'm sure you will. Even smaller things can get you good money, like the cab and cylinders with straight rods.
Good running engine, then the drive components.
Even dash parts are in demand for older machines.

Auggie

I remember reading this thread when I first was troubleshooting my 843 but just reread it after pulling the left gear box and having the same exact issue. Uncanny how similar it is. I'm having the same trouble finding the replacement gears but mine are less worn than yours, so I'll probably just run them and hope for the best. There doesn't seem to be slop on my right side so I'll probably leave that. Maybe I'll peek inside that dust cover and see if I see anything concerning, but everything feels tight, so fingers crossed

Thanks for the great writeup and it's nice to have this as reference. Funny enough the previous owner blew up the u joint coupler just like your other thread...

OP
OP
HanSolo

HanSolo

I remember reading this thread when I first was troubleshooting my 843 but just reread it after pulling the left gear box and having the same exact issue. Uncanny how similar it is. I'm having the same trouble finding the replacement gears but mine are less worn than yours, so I'll probably just run them and hope for the best. There doesn't seem to be slop on my right side so I'll probably leave that. Maybe I'll peek inside that dust cover and see if I see anything concerning, but everything feels tight, so fingers crossed

Thanks for the great writeup and it's nice to have this as reference. Funny enough the previous owner blew up the u joint coupler just like your other thread...
Thanks Auggie. Almost painful to re-read this thread. That's the two weakest links in those early 800 series machines are the u-joint coupler and those transmissions. I keep a very close eye on my 743's chain case oil and the inner wheel rims for leaks. I also lube the u-joint frequently and I'm getting quicker at that. Good luck with your 843 and I hope you can keep it working.

bocephus.longie

Having a similar issue. Did a few wheel seals. And found it's over filling.

And a question on the chain drive with the bearing hanging out at the brake disc. Is that normal. The one I'm working on looks the same.