773G delayed starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bgirls

Hi, new here. We have a 2002 773G with 366 hours, at about 300 hours it started doing something new. when you try to start it, you turn the key to on and then have to wait about 2 minutes for the gauges and hour meter to get power and then it will start. I don't beleive it has to do with the glow plugs as it happens any time of year and when the engine is hot. If you start it then shut it off and try to restart, it will take about 2 minutes to restart

sterlclan

sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me ....the key switch????? or a ground on the frame? Im kinda glad mine only has about 5 wires in the whole machine. Give the plugs and wires a good looking at for a start good luck..........Jeff

OP
OP
B

bgirls

sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me ....the key switch????? or a ground on the frame? Im kinda glad mine only has about 5 wires in the whole machine. Give the plugs and wires a good looking at for a start good luck..........Jeff
I should have mentioned that the first thing i did was replace the key switch. It is so consistant in the time of 2 minutes that i would rule out a bad ground or loose connection. This happens every time you start it. Seems like someone snuck a time delay into our machine while we were sleeping. You do not have to be in the seat, you do not have to lower the safety bar, it justds likes to make us wait.

skidsteer.ca

I should have mentioned that the first thing i did was replace the key switch. It is so consistant in the time of 2 minutes that i would rule out a bad ground or loose connection. This happens every time you start it. Seems like someone snuck a time delay into our machine while we were sleeping. You do not have to be in the seat, you do not have to lower the safety bar, it justds likes to make us wait.
I'm wondering if the computer down by you left ankle (inside the frame) can do this. I replaced the computer in mine because the temp guage went south and it has a 2 second delay no that I don't remember being there b4.
I guess I'll see when I stick the old comp back in and send the new on out to have them reprogram a option they forgot to switch on if it behaves this way with the old comp.
You did not have your machine in for service when this started? You may have to visit your favourite dealer on this one. But I bet it in that $570.00 black box. (plus 140.00 for 2 hours labour)
When it comes to wiring Bobcat should not be allowed to play with more then a battery, light bulb and a few feet of wire. The 90's loaders with "BOSS" guages and the G series, and likely the new K series are all going to have computer issues imo, Either that or I just pick the lemons.
Ken

OP
OP
B

bgirls

I'm wondering if the computer down by you left ankle (inside the frame) can do this. I replaced the computer in mine because the temp guage went south and it has a 2 second delay no that I don't remember being there b4.
I guess I'll see when I stick the old comp back in and send the new on out to have them reprogram a option they forgot to switch on if it behaves this way with the old comp.
You did not have your machine in for service when this started? You may have to visit your favourite dealer on this one. But I bet it in that $570.00 black box. (plus 140.00 for 2 hours labour)
When it comes to wiring Bobcat should not be allowed to play with more then a battery, light bulb and a few feet of wire. The 90's loaders with "BOSS" guages and the G series, and likely the new K series are all going to have computer issues imo, Either that or I just pick the lemons.
Ken
It sounds like it could be the computer, i will take alook at the location today. I have resisted going to a dealer because of the fear of a large bill and no result. We can live with it as long as it does not cause a safety issue. Are you saying that we could have some other options added just by reprograming the computer and some money?

skidsteer.ca

It sounds like it could be the computer, i will take alook at the location today. I have resisted going to a dealer because of the fear of a large bill and no result. We can live with it as long as it does not cause a safety issue. Are you saying that we could have some other options added just by reprograming the computer and some money?
You probably noticed that the machine has a high flow button, and a bucket positioning button (hyd bucket leveling), advanced hand controls, power bobtach, air conditioning. Most of these can be added as optional kits if the loader was not already equiped with it. But many of them must be switched on in the computer after adding the kit so the option will work. So no there is not likely any free options you don't know about.
As for the starting. Talk to you local dealer and ask them what they think, feel them out. If they won't help even a little, your talking to the wrong dealer. Some are really good and some are no help.
There are couple dealer folks on here from time to time, one is "Bobcat Parts Manager" you can look up his email and fire him a question too. Mark is the fellow and he has offered here in the past to help.
Another option would be to rewire the starter and fuel solinoid around the computer.
If its a computer thing the mechaincs should have some knowledge. If it just started on its own and it consistantly does the same thing, thats really weird if its not somthing the computer can be set to do.
Otherwise I'm not wure what to tell you.
Good luck
Ken