773 This one has me stumped

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MT

My 773F dies when the fuel is down about 4-5 gallons. I figure it is the fuel pick up tube, which is know to break off and not reach as far into the tank as it should. So, I am topping the tank and fluid starts running out the back left corner under the battery. Its parked on the side of hill leaning a little to the left if that matters. About 1.5 quarts came out. I thought it was diesel and maybe the tank was cracked near the top but it appears to be water. I even soaked a paper towel in it and tried to light it with a propane torch. Pretty sure it is just water, not coolant. What is going on here? I recall parking it in the garge a few weeks ago and found a small puddle on the floor in the morning. That was water as well. I though some water collected somewhere while it was out in the rain and wrote it off as a non issue. Why in the world would water run out when putting fuel in the tank? And where is water coming from? This is really weird. TIA, Martin

Bobcatdan

The very small drain holes in the bottom are more then likely plugged the machine has standing water trapped inside.

OP
OP
M

MT

The very small drain holes in the bottom are more then likely plugged the machine has standing water trapped inside.
I will check the drain holes but that does not explain why after sitting in the same spot for 20 hours, water started draining out when I topped the tank. It has been hot and dry here for 2 days. Thanks for your reply!

Fishfiles

the tank is plastic and flexible , when the tank is not full the plastic will flex inwards , that makes a gap between the tank and the steel which surounds the tank , as you fill the tank with fuel it pushes out the plastic and displaces the water

OP
OP
M

MT

the tank is plastic and flexible , when the tank is not full the plastic will flex inwards , that makes a gap between the tank and the steel which surounds the tank , as you fill the tank with fuel it pushes out the plastic and displaces the water
That sounds plausable, although the tank already had about 10 gallons in it. Thank you!

Fishfiles

That sounds plausable, although the tank already had about 10 gallons in it. Thank you!
10 gallons of fuel in the tank leaves a lot of room , I seen it happen a dozen times or more ---- but ---- never exactly as you did it by filling the tank with fuel , I seen it happen from blowing air back thru the supply hose to clear a clog , first time I seen it happen , about 25 years ago when 753 first came out , I thought I blew the tank up from too much pressure ------- if you really think about it logically and you did in fact see water and not fuel I doubt it could be anything else , if water were in the tank that deep it would never even start ----------------- remember if you try and reinact the situation remember to let the water hose flow under the engine for a bit or wait for it to rain before trying -------