773 not warming up!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stormin10x

I'm new to the board so I hope I can gain some advice about my 1998 773 I just purchased. It seems like it dosn't want to warm up (North Dakota). Are the thermostats a problem and if so are they hard to change? I was thinking of some type of winter cover over the radator? The gauge shows one bar after a hour of running. Also how many hours should a person change the oil? I believe it has a kobota engine Anyone know where I can get a LR hub and Shaft. The bolt backed off and malled up the shaft and hub. Now it will not stay tight. I'm thinking I need to replace it. Thanks Norm

Tazza

Staff member
A new shaft and hub can be bought from the dealer, but expect to pay a fair bit!
The thermostat is inside the housing that bolts to the side of the head on the right hand side. Look where the top radiator hose goes, its that alloy housing you want. Go easy on the bolts, they can rust in place and break when you try and remove them.
Now, you mention only one bar, it could be a bad temperature sender telling your BOSS system its cold when its actually warm. The senders are not cheap though.
As for the oil change, you can only drain whats in the tank. I use the aux hydraulics with the engine running at idle and drain it that way. when it starts to spit, turn off and re-fill and change the filter.

skidsteer.ca

A new shaft and hub can be bought from the dealer, but expect to pay a fair bit!
The thermostat is inside the housing that bolts to the side of the head on the right hand side. Look where the top radiator hose goes, its that alloy housing you want. Go easy on the bolts, they can rust in place and break when you try and remove them.
Now, you mention only one bar, it could be a bad temperature sender telling your BOSS system its cold when its actually warm. The senders are not cheap though.
As for the oil change, you can only drain whats in the tank. I use the aux hydraulics with the engine running at idle and drain it that way. when it starts to spit, turn off and re-fill and change the filter.
My 93 753 with boss was like this. 1 bar unless working it hard on a hot summer day, then the second one may light. (Canada) Making it impossible to tell if the thermostat was working by reading the guage.
I had the opportunity to hook it to a Boss computer andthis is the degree readings I got with each bar on the guage.

Water temp Guage​

1 Bar​

0 to 190 degrees​

2 Bar​

190 to 198​

3 Bar​

198 to 204​

4 Bar​

204 to 210​

5 Bar​

210 to 217​

6 Bar​

217 to 224​

7 Bar​

224 to 231​

8 Bar​

230 on up warning sounds​

235 engine shutdown​
Can you get a infared hand held and confirmthe thermostat housing is reaching 185 or 190 f
Ken

OP
OP
S

stormin10x

My 93 753 with boss was like this. 1 bar unless working it hard on a hot summer day, then the second one may light. (Canada) Making it impossible to tell if the thermostat was working by reading the guage.
I had the opportunity to hook it to a Boss computer andthis is the degree readings I got with each bar on the guage.

Water temp Guage

1 Bar

0 to 190 degrees

2 Bar

190 to 198

3 Bar

198 to 204

4 Bar

204 to 210

5 Bar

210 to 217

6 Bar

217 to 224

7 Bar

224 to 231

8 Bar

230 on up warning sounds

235 engine shutdown

Can you get a infared hand held and confirmthe thermostat housing is reaching 185 or 190 f
Ken
Thanks for replies! That looks like the temps are really close. I'll try the infrared guage. Do the termostats come in hotter settings? I would think a 200-210 might work. Thanks Norm

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for replies! That looks like the temps are really close. I'll try the infrared guage. Do the termostats come in hotter settings? I would think a 200-210 might work. Thanks Norm
Believe 195 is the hottest t stat. You don't want hotter unless your heater is not working.
I'd try a new wheel hub on your axel to see if that would work. Believe the axel is the harder of the two.
My 93 753 called for100 hr oilchanges and my 2000 773 called for 250 hr oil changes, both had same engine.
Hydraulic and chain case oil should be changes at 1000 hrs.
Check your chain case at the 3/4" plug on the front center of the machine. The covers on the chain case top tend to come loose from the loader boom stop banging against the front of the case whenthe boom is down and rain water leaks into the oil making it milky.
Also don't forget the oil level (80/90 gear) in the angle drive gear box for the engines cooling fan.
Ken

OP
OP
S

stormin10x

Water temp Guage

1 Bar

0 to 190 degrees

2 Bar

190 to 198

3 Bar

198 to 204

4 Bar

204 to 210

5 Bar

210 to 217

6 Bar

217 to 224

7 Bar

224 to 231

8 Bar

230 on up warning sounds

235 engine shutdown

Ken
Thanks guys I replaced the thermostat with a new one and it seems to heat alot better. It has two bars now. The termostat that was in it had a screw on top to adjust which was stuck and the stopper was stuck open when I took it out. So it was flowing coolant all the time. I placed a 160 deg. which I got from bobcat, there was a 180 deg. in there. Now I need to look at the heater motor as it seems to work when it wants to.