763 not pulling fuel from tank? runs on jug

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldNeons

My 763 C series with Kubota diesel died last week - lost power, idled for about 30 secs then died and wouldnt restart. Today I changed fuel filter, refueled, tried to prime and nothing. Didn't seem to be pulling fuel out of 3/4 full tank. So I disconnected at primer bulb and put hose into a 5 gal jug. Primed properly, started and runs fine. Please don't tell me it's the pickup and I have to pull engine/hydro to access tank? What else can it be? I replaced fuel pump assembly within last year so assuming its ok (especially since it's pulling fuel out of jug). I searched the forum and found reference to a fuel shutoff solenoid and also a "pump to valve hose rubbing through" but am unfamiliar with these. Mine does have a pretty steady hydraulic leak recently - trying to get it running and get into warm shop for repairs.... How can I check/rule these possibilities out. 1) pickup or in tank filter issue? 2) fuel shutoff solenoid? 3) pump to valve hose rubbing through?? 4) other ideas? The post referencing these is from Bobcatdan and is below. Appreciate any input on this. Thanks!!!! 753 Dead, help service manual needed Posted: 10/05/2012 03:47 AM hi guys, my old man recently brought a used 753, it just died yesterday, i've been searching for a workshop manual however had no luck, can anyone help me out ? thanks Tazza is not online. Last active: 2/8/2013 1:27:53 AM Tazza Top 25 Poster Forum Moderator Joined: 08 Dec 2004 Total Posts: 9690 Re: 753 Dead, help service manual needed Posted: 10/05/2012 10:49 AM 753, three guess. Died and don't start, fuel shut off solenod died or fuel pick up tube in the tank rotted off. If it is duming massive amounts of hydraulic fluid, the pump to valve hose rubbed threw. Serivce manuals have next to no dianostic in them other then wiring diagrams an some pressure specs. giang723 is not online. Last active: 10/6/2012 4:29:09 AM giang723 Joined: 05 Oct 2012 Total Posts: 2

OldMachinist

I know you don't want to hear it but it sounds like the pick up tube is broken. The only other thing you can try is to blow some air back thru the line just on the slight chance the end of the pick up is clogged. Make sure you loosen the tank cap first.

Fishfiles

I know you don't want to hear it but it sounds like the pick up tube is broken. The only other thing you can try is to blow some air back thru the line just on the slight chance the end of the pick up is clogged. Make sure you loosen the tank cap first.
it

OP
OP
O

OldNeons

All we got of your reply was "it" fish files? Appreciate any input, including an end around option for a new pickup as I am NOT pulling motor/hydro like the manual suggests. I think I'll put a tank on the roof first, LOL Any other possibilities, curious what bobcatdan meant above pump valve hoses?? Assume if it runs on jug the fuel shutoff solenoid is not at fault? Thanks

nobull1

All we got of your reply was "it" fish files? Appreciate any input, including an end around option for a new pickup as I am NOT pulling motor/hydro like the manual suggests. I think I'll put a tank on the roof first, LOL Any other possibilities, curious what bobcatdan meant above pump valve hoses?? Assume if it runs on jug the fuel shutoff solenoid is not at fault? Thanks
I replaced my pickup tube last winter on my 763. You don't have to pull the motor, it's just hard to access. Once you figure out which line at the tank you have to remove just pry the grommet out and it comes right out. Some come out easier than others but it will come out. Just have a new grommet, tube, hose clamp, and filter if you want to replace it, in case old hose is in the tank.

Fishfiles

I replaced my pickup tube last winter on my 763. You don't have to pull the motor, it's just hard to access. Once you figure out which line at the tank you have to remove just pry the grommet out and it comes right out. Some come out easier than others but it will come out. Just have a new grommet, tube, hose clamp, and filter if you want to replace it, in case old hose is in the tank.
it can be done and you don't have to pull the motor to change the tube , it ain't easy, you need loooong arms -----------you really don't need to even pull the tube if you don't want to , you can drill another hole thru the top the tank and install another pickup tube, grommet and 90 degree fitting with a new fuel hose in a location much easier to access , then plug off the old hose , -----------------last week I did a T250 pickup tube in a remote location and didn't have another 90 fitting in my truck so I had to get the tube out and back in , my arms are 4 inches too short , I got it in a very unorthodox way , once I put my arm thru the side access cover( you machine doesn't have a cover ) there was no visibillity so I felt around with vise grips till I got the fitting and pulled it out and that was pretty easy , then I had to put the grommet back into the tank and I could touch it , so I took a large and long Philips screw driver and tightened a hose clamp around the shaft about 2 inches from the bottom and wrap some electrical tape around the shaft so the grommet would fit snug and not fall off and not expand the grommets lips so it would fit into the hole ,blindly found the hole with the driver tip and pushed the bushing into place , with the tube on the fitting and the hose clamped in place I was able to find the hole in the grommet and push it in till about an inch was still out , took a hammer and with the metal head on the fitting I was able to stick a pry bar on top the wooden end and pry the fitting into the grommet

Fishfiles

it can be done and you don't have to pull the motor to change the tube , it ain't easy, you need loooong arms -----------you really don't need to even pull the tube if you don't want to , you can drill another hole thru the top the tank and install another pickup tube, grommet and 90 degree fitting with a new fuel hose in a location much easier to access , then plug off the old hose , -----------------last week I did a T250 pickup tube in a remote location and didn't have another 90 fitting in my truck so I had to get the tube out and back in , my arms are 4 inches too short , I got it in a very unorthodox way , once I put my arm thru the side access cover( you machine doesn't have a cover ) there was no visibillity so I felt around with vise grips till I got the fitting and pulled it out and that was pretty easy , then I had to put the grommet back into the tank and I could touch it , so I took a large and long Philips screw driver and tightened a hose clamp around the shaft about 2 inches from the bottom and wrap some electrical tape around the shaft so the grommet would fit snug and not fall off and not expand the grommets lips so it would fit into the hole ,blindly found the hole with the driver tip and pushed the bushing into place , with the tube on the fitting and the hose clamped in place I was able to find the hole in the grommet and push it in till about an inch was still out , took a hammer and with the metal head on the fitting I was able to stick a pry bar on top the wooden end and pry the fitting into the grommet
since I ain't edit my previous post let me say it should have read I could " not " touch the pickup tube with my fingers -----I need to proof read before I hit the send -----good luck what ever you do , take a couple of asprins before you start

OP
OP
O

OldNeons

Thanks guys, thats great that it is fixable without the full removal I thought! Since its WAY too long since I opened mine up- is the pickup accessed from under seat I assume? Or beside motor? Is there any chance of it being anything else, or should I just go get the parts and do this? Does this site have a PM private message feature? Can't find it if it does. Thanks!

OldMachinist

Thanks guys, thats great that it is fixable without the full removal I thought! Since its WAY too long since I opened mine up- is the pickup accessed from under seat I assume? Or beside motor? Is there any chance of it being anything else, or should I just go get the parts and do this? Does this site have a PM private message feature? Can't find it if it does. Thanks!
If a member has a email address in their profile you can contact them if not then you just have to find one of their posts and reply.

nobull1

If a member has a email address in their profile you can contact them if not then you just have to find one of their posts and reply.
Just get the parts and do it. The parts are cheap and the only way to find out for sure is to take it out. Once you have it out might as well just replace the parts anyway. If I remember the grommet is on the left side looking from the front of the machine. Get a piece of plywood cut to fit to lay on with the cab up (little more comfortable). Just make sure you get the right grommet, not the return line. I replaced the filter (some do, some don't) and cut about 1" of the line so as not to have it sitting on the bottom of the tank sucking up possible dirt. That's what i did anyways. You can email me if you like at brian at bluebarn dot ca Brian

Tazza

Staff member
Just get the parts and do it. The parts are cheap and the only way to find out for sure is to take it out. Once you have it out might as well just replace the parts anyway. If I remember the grommet is on the left side looking from the front of the machine. Get a piece of plywood cut to fit to lay on with the cab up (little more comfortable). Just make sure you get the right grommet, not the return line. I replaced the filter (some do, some don't) and cut about 1" of the line so as not to have it sitting on the bottom of the tank sucking up possible dirt. That's what i did anyways. You can email me if you like at brian at bluebarn dot ca Brian
As already mentioned, it can be done without pulling the engine. Get a helper to jiggle the hose so you can find which one it is at the tank. Use long nose pliers to get under thr groment and lever it up and out. Replace the tube and you are good to go.
It may even pay to blow air through the line before you out it back in the tank just in case there is crud in the elbows that is causing a restriction too.
It's not easy as its behind the pump, but it has been done many times before.

Bobcatdan

As already mentioned, it can be done without pulling the engine. Get a helper to jiggle the hose so you can find which one it is at the tank. Use long nose pliers to get under thr groment and lever it up and out. Replace the tube and you are good to go.
It may even pay to blow air through the line before you out it back in the tank just in case there is crud in the elbows that is causing a restriction too.
It's not easy as its behind the pump, but it has been done many times before.
Don't blow back threw by the primer ball. The screen on the end of the pick up tube has a one way check. It wouldn't take real much to blow the pick up tube off.