763 F won't go.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ijoe

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to skid steers. I just purchased a 763 f last week to use around the house. When I went to look at it I drove it around about 30 minutes and everything worked great. When I got it home I removed the bucket and connected to a rock hound, drove in my yard and it stopped in its tracks, maybe 10 minutes. It starts and runs fine and the aux works the rock hound but if you try to move it or lift/lower the arms it labors like it is trying to. When I push The traction lock button I don't hear the relay, is there a manual over ride for it. I have a service manual coming next week but it is setting in a very bad place and I would like to move it to my shop. Anyone have an idea where to start looking for the problem. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Joe

OP
OP
I

ijoe

Well after over 4 hours reading here I have decided my problem is in the bics system. because my brakes are locked and my lift will not work. If I let it sit for a couple hours when I start the machine, with the bar down and I push the green button I can hear the solenoid click, But just a second and the solenoid releases and all lights go out on the bics box. after that I need to wait a couple hours to repeat the lights on for a few seconds and then off. I would say the bics box would (as my grandmother would say) cost a pretty penny. Any help appreciated Thanks Joe

skidsteer.ca

Well after over 4 hours reading here I have decided my problem is in the bics system. because my brakes are locked and my lift will not work. If I let it sit for a couple hours when I start the machine, with the bar down and I push the green button I can hear the solenoid click, But just a second and the solenoid releases and all lights go out on the bics box. after that I need to wait a couple hours to repeat the lights on for a few seconds and then off. I would say the bics box would (as my grandmother would say) cost a pretty penny. Any help appreciated Thanks Joe
Search (use the search functions) this forum for "bics" and "park brake", and or "park pin" there are several posts on how to bypass the park brake and the bics can be bypassed too if needed.
There are sensors on the seat bar, and the older machine (not sure if it includes your) like C series had a sensor on the seat cushion that proved troublesome because of rocks, pop cans gloves, getting under the seat and preventing the seat from compressing under the operators weight and lighting the seat light.
Late this seat switch was replaced as with a push to operated button on the dash. Not sure if the F models came with the seat switch still. Also many older models were updated to the push to operate button and the seat switch removed.
Also check you fuses and wire harness for frays, breaks and poor conections
On the bics box are any of the lights not lit when the operator is seated and the seat bar is down? are any of them flashing a code. Normal is all lights on with operated seated, bar down and push to operated buttton activated
Hopefully you loader does not have the Boss guage option as they are way more of a p.i.t.a. then the standard equipment bics safety system.
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
I

ijoe

Search (use the search functions) this forum for "bics" and "park brake", and or "park pin" there are several posts on how to bypass the park brake and the bics can be bypassed too if needed.
There are sensors on the seat bar, and the older machine (not sure if it includes your) like C series had a sensor on the seat cushion that proved troublesome because of rocks, pop cans gloves, getting under the seat and preventing the seat from compressing under the operators weight and lighting the seat light.
Late this seat switch was replaced as with a push to operated button on the dash. Not sure if the F models came with the seat switch still. Also many older models were updated to the push to operate button and the seat switch removed.
Also check you fuses and wire harness for frays, breaks and poor conections
On the bics box are any of the lights not lit when the operator is seated and the seat bar is down? are any of them flashing a code. Normal is all lights on with operated seated, bar down and push to operated buttton activated
Hopefully you loader does not have the Boss guage option as they are way more of a p.i.t.a. then the standard equipment bics safety system.
Regards
Ken
Thanks Ken for the response. As I said in the post above after a few seconds no lights on the bics box. I have read all posts on the box and brakes. Now I need to find where the box gets it power from and if it is getting ~12 volts or maybe reduced voltage. if it is it must be something inside the box. Do you know how to check the 3 wire magnetic proximity switch on the arm. I check the ohm reading on all wires and I get about the same when in both up and down positions. But I don't see how that switch could keep all the lights off on the box. Well tomorrow I will do some more checking. Before reading the posts here I knew nothing about how it works but now I understand enough to start looking. Thanks Joe

skidsteer.ca

Thanks Ken for the response. As I said in the post above after a few seconds no lights on the bics box. I have read all posts on the box and brakes. Now I need to find where the box gets it power from and if it is getting ~12 volts or maybe reduced voltage. if it is it must be something inside the box. Do you know how to check the 3 wire magnetic proximity switch on the arm. I check the ohm reading on all wires and I get about the same when in both up and down positions. But I don't see how that switch could keep all the lights off on the box. Well tomorrow I will do some more checking. Before reading the posts here I knew nothing about how it works but now I understand enough to start looking. Thanks Joe
The bics power light should be on if the key is on. Maybe a bad ground, blown fuse etc
The seat bar switch function by rotating a small magnet into proper proximity of the sensor which is fixed stationary on the cab. Worn bushings in the seat bar can cause they proper location to be off, but then only the seat bar light would not be on and the "bics" light as it is the last to light and unlock the system.
Under the seat in the center of the chaincase, (on top of it) is a solinoid with 3 heavy wires. This is the one that needs power to pull the brake off. Remove the soilinod with 2 small bolts.
In the center is a 5/8 (or so) diameter steel rod, pull it up as far as you can and put a hose clamp around it to hold the brake off. Or take the next 2 bolts out below and remove the rod and "park pawl" too.
The bics can be bypassed too. When all the lights are lit, the end result is power goes to a 2 wires in the hyd system under the seat that allows the lift and tilt to move. On my 553 I wired the power to the key to get the loader arms to move.
Does you park brake come off if you push the traction lock button on the dash?
Regards
Ken

TriHonu

The bics power light should be on if the key is on. Maybe a bad ground, blown fuse etc
The seat bar switch function by rotating a small magnet into proper proximity of the sensor which is fixed stationary on the cab. Worn bushings in the seat bar can cause they proper location to be off, but then only the seat bar light would not be on and the "bics" light as it is the last to light and unlock the system.
Under the seat in the center of the chaincase, (on top of it) is a solinoid with 3 heavy wires. This is the one that needs power to pull the brake off. Remove the soilinod with 2 small bolts.
In the center is a 5/8 (or so) diameter steel rod, pull it up as far as you can and put a hose clamp around it to hold the brake off. Or take the next 2 bolts out below and remove the rod and "park pawl" too.
The bics can be bypassed too. When all the lights are lit, the end result is power goes to a 2 wires in the hyd system under the seat that allows the lift and tilt to move. On my 553 I wired the power to the key to get the loader arms to move.
Does you park brake come off if you push the traction lock button on the dash?
Regards
Ken
I have a 763C and had a similar intermittent problem.
The Orange Wire going into the BICS box is the main power wire. The black wire is the ground.
I would start by checking the fuses. There is a 10 amp fuse for the BICS. I would pull it out and reseat it.
Check the voltage from the Orange wire to ground. Also check the resistance from black to ground. If you lift the cab you will find a couple of ground wires bolted to the body near the cab hinge on the left side (Left as you are sitting in the seat). Loosen the bolt and clean the wire lugs and reinstall.
If you have voltage (between 9 and battery voltage) at the orange wire to the black wire then the BICS box is probably the (expensive) problem. Voltage below 9v or above 16v will cause the BICS to blink error codes. Normal voltage is normally between 9v and less than system voltage.
BICS transmitts errors by blinking the LEDs on the BICS box. For instance if the Seat Bar LED blinks 2 times then pauses and then repeats the manual will tell you the Seat Bar Sensor is shorted to battery voltage. 3 blinks means it is shorted to ground. The blink codes are listed in the Service Manual.
I had low voltage and my BICS lights were blinking. I temporarily ran a jumper wire from the battery to the orange wire just before it entered the BICS box and bingo! System functioned normally. When I looked at the Orange wire I found where a previous owner had a wire tap on the wire that had been removed but had not sealed the cut insulation. I cut out the corroded section soldered and a little shrink tube to finish the job. It only took about 3 hours to diagnose and fix and I had the service manual...
Good Luck,
Jeff

OP
OP
I

ijoe

I have a 763C and had a similar intermittent problem.
The Orange Wire going into the BICS box is the main power wire. The black wire is the ground.
I would start by checking the fuses. There is a 10 amp fuse for the BICS. I would pull it out and reseat it.
Check the voltage from the Orange wire to ground. Also check the resistance from black to ground. If you lift the cab you will find a couple of ground wires bolted to the body near the cab hinge on the left side (Left as you are sitting in the seat). Loosen the bolt and clean the wire lugs and reinstall.
If you have voltage (between 9 and battery voltage) at the orange wire to the black wire then the BICS box is probably the (expensive) problem. Voltage below 9v or above 16v will cause the BICS to blink error codes. Normal voltage is normally between 9v and less than system voltage.
BICS transmitts errors by blinking the LEDs on the BICS box. For instance if the Seat Bar LED blinks 2 times then pauses and then repeats the manual will tell you the Seat Bar Sensor is shorted to battery voltage. 3 blinks means it is shorted to ground. The blink codes are listed in the Service Manual.
I had low voltage and my BICS lights were blinking. I temporarily ran a jumper wire from the battery to the orange wire just before it entered the BICS box and bingo! System functioned normally. When I looked at the Orange wire I found where a previous owner had a wire tap on the wire that had been removed but had not sealed the cut insulation. I cut out the corroded section soldered and a little shrink tube to finish the job. It only took about 3 hours to diagnose and fix and I had the service manual...
Good Luck,
Jeff
I had a little time to work with it some and now on the BICS box I get the power light and seat bar light and when I push the green button all lights flash and I still have seat bar and power lights. I should have my service manual Mon or Tue.

TriHonu

I had a little time to work with it some and now on the BICS box I get the power light and seat bar light and when I push the green button all lights flash and I still have seat bar and power lights. I should have my service manual Mon or Tue.
If all lights are flashing you have less than 9v or greater than 16v at the BICS box.
Jeff

OP
OP
I

ijoe

If all lights are flashing you have less than 9v or greater than 16v at the BICS box.
Jeff
They don't flash, when you push the green button the power light and seat bar light goes off and all lights come on for a second and back off with the power light and seat bar light stays lite.

TriHonu

They don't flash, when you push the green button the power light and seat bar light goes off and all lights come on for a second and back off with the power light and seat bar light stays lite.
After you check the voltage and ground at the BICS, you might want to call your local Bobcat Dealer and ask to speak to the Service Manager. Tell them precisely what the machine is doing and what you have checked.
I have made a couple of these calls over the years to my dealer (Lano Bobcat in Minnesota) and they have been very helpful in giving me guidance on what to check next.
Or hopefully someone who has seen these symptoms will chime in here.
Jeff

OP
OP
I

ijoe

After you check the voltage and ground at the BICS, you might want to call your local Bobcat Dealer and ask to speak to the Service Manager. Tell them precisely what the machine is doing and what you have checked.
I have made a couple of these calls over the years to my dealer (Lano Bobcat in Minnesota) and they have been very helpful in giving me guidance on what to check next.
Or hopefully someone who has seen these symptoms will chime in here.
Jeff
GOT IT !!! Fuse socket. It would get contact good enough for the power lite and seat bar light which was no current to speak of but when you push the green button it takes more current for the brake solenoid and it would loose contact. i just put a small plastic wedge in beside contact spring and all works good. Thanks for the input guys. Before I come here I new nothing about it at all. LOL, here comes the postman in my drive with my service manual. Thanks again Joe

Latest posts