763 Cab Raise Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GerryB

What is the procedure to raise the cab on a Bobcat 763, believed to be 2001 model. We have only 500 hours total on this machine that is seldom used. Apparently we have a hydraulic leak as oil is detected dripping beneath the middle of three bolts on the bottom skid pan.
We would like to safely raise cab to check interior to possibly determine source of leak.
All advice is appreciated. Also, what is typical life of most hoses used by Bobcat?
GerryB

Tlawdogg

I have an 863 but it might be the same. Two 3/4" nuts . If you are sitting in seat , one on left one on right . Above where your feet would be in very front . Once those two are off, you tilt the cab back.
On left (facing back as you tilt) there is a safety lock bar keeping cab locked up.
When you go to lower the cab you have to release (press) the release bar.
Good luck.

brdgbldr

Just as an extra safety measure, brace the cab up with a ratchet strap. I have seen the "release bar" fail before. Luckily nobody was injured. It is also easy to accidentally hit the "release bar" while doing work on the machine.

OP
OP
G

GerryB

I have an 863 but it might be the same. Two 3/4" nuts . If you are sitting in seat , one on left one on right . Above where your feet would be in very front . Once those two are off, you tilt the cab back.
On left (facing back as you tilt) there is a safety lock bar keeping cab locked up.
When you go to lower the cab you have to release (press) the release bar.
Good luck.
Thanks for the directions. Will cable or use secondary safety when raised. A little trepidation setting in. I purchased the 2001 model 763 in 2001, it was a local school trade in. They trade every year and had less than 200 hours total time. I've never used it, left it with our daughter and son-in-law for them in the country. Now, after 22 more years it's only 500 hours. I borrowed it to grub a tree stump and it worked great. Pwer washed it and parked in garage. In the AM there was a small puddle of what appears to be hydro fluid beneath the skid pan.
I want to raise the cab and see if I can locate the source.
It is literally like new in appearance but I now wonder about aging hoses.....what is the typical hydraulic hose life in these units? Gerry

OP
OP
G

GerryB

Thanks for the directions. Will cable or use secondary safety when raised. A little trepidation setting in. I purchased the 2001 model 763 in 2001, it was a local school trade in. They trade every year and had less than 200 hours total time. I've never used it, left it with our daughter and son-in-law for them in the country. Now, after 22 more years it's only 500 hours. I borrowed it to grub a tree stump and it worked great. Pwer washed it and parked in garage. In the AM there was a small puddle of what appears to be hydro fluid beneath the skid pan.
It is literally like new in appearance but I now wonder about aging hoses.....what is the typical hydraulic hose life in these units? Gerry
Your's shown in profile may be even cleaner. Our Cat decal on side of bucket is worn off. No experience with hose life? Had a Vermeer tree spade that was a spider web of hoses. Sold it when the first hose began to weep. Figured the rest would go soon. All of them required replacement within two years.

K9

Unfortunately, I have some experience with the oil on floor. With the cab raised, find the spool valve on the left hand side when facing the rear of machine. Reach in to the rear of the spool valve and you will likely find the spool seals are leaking. May had dried out from sitting so often. You can find videos on you tube on how to replace the seals and end plug. Look in the basin beneath the spool valve and likely to see the oil accumulating

wings5j

Over time you will find that raising the ROPS is fairly routine and necessary for quite a few maintenance items.

I operate a 1993 742B and in the last 16 years I have probably replaced 5 or six hoses. Two of these I replaced because it was convenient and they matched the one that was leaking or were in the same access area.

I haven't tackled the spool valve seals yet but I know the day is coming.

Good luck and please update us with your progress.

Thanks,

John

OP
OP
G

GerryB

Over time you will find that raising the ROPS is fairly routine and necessary for quite a few maintenance items.

I operate a 1993 742B and in the last 16 years I have probably replaced 5 or six hoses. Two of these I replaced because it was convenient and they matched the one that was leaking or were in the same access area.

I haven't tackled the spool valve seals yet but I know the day is coming.

Good luck and please update us with your progress.

Thanks,

John
Hope to have time to lift the cab this week. I did notice that the dripping seems to have stopped. Last week I pressure washed the entire unit after using, there were no drips beneath in previous days but for a couple days following the wash, it dripped. Water and hydrostat oil I understand don't mix but the dripping substance felt like oil but has both stopped and seems to have dried for the most part. I'll check inside but hope just washing flushed out some oil in the belly and leaks aren't the issue. Would be best news. Thanks to all..

bullrake

On my 1999 F-series 763 I find that it is much easier to tilt the cab if I remove the door first. Not sure about the G series but it makes huge difference on my F series.

I've had hoses go and when they did they went catastrophically while under load; all my hose leaks were not subtle.

Two months ago I did the spool valve seals replacement job on my machine and, though it was a PITA, it is certainly doable. As K9 has already mentioned there are some very helpful videos on You Tube if this turns out to be the problem.

OP
OP
G

GerryB

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions based on experience. I raised the cab today on the 763...no obvious oil leaks which was my concern. Dusty in there but no fresh oil evident.