753 runs and then dies like it out of fuel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jeepman4u

I just started having this problem, i can have a full tank and pump the ball up and bleed out the air out of the lines, i can run it around for about 40 minutes and then it dies again. i can repeat the same steps and starts right up and does the same thing. If i don't fill the tank up and try to pump the ball up , i can hear bubbles sound in the tank. any ideal. curt

Websterspower

Yup... Dip tube in tank sounds cracked/broke. Do a search on the site there are numerous posts with reply's that will help you. Very easy fix..

OP
OP
J

jeepman4u

Yep, sounds like a cracked fuel pickup tube.
Hey Tazza I got the cab up and i think i see the lines are. I think the fuel tank at the bottom of the skid steer. i was told it was behind the seat once you lift the cab but that hyd. tank. So were would i find some picture to help see what i,m tring to fix it.

OP
OP
J

jeepman4u

Yep, sounds like a cracked fuel pickup tube.
Hey Tazza I got the cab up and i think i see the lines are. I think the fuel tank at the bottom of the skid steer. i was told it was behind the seat once you lift the cab but that hyd. tank. So were would i find some picture to help see what i'm tring to see the fuel pick up line.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Tazza I got the cab up and i think i see the lines are. I think the fuel tank at the bottom of the skid steer. i was told it was behind the seat once you lift the cab but that hyd. tank. So were would i find some picture to help see what i'm tring to see the fuel pick up line.
Its under the engine. With the cab up, get a torch and look under the drive pump. You should see it back there somewhere. There will be two, one is the pickup tube, the other is the return line. You should be able to get your arm over the pump and down to the fuel tank to remove the groments, if you track the lines back to the tank you will be able to work out what one is the pickup tube. Remove the elbow and the line should be under it, if it has not broken off.
Its not a hard job, but access can be frustrating...

OP
OP
J

jeepman4u

Its under the engine. With the cab up, get a torch and look under the drive pump. You should see it back there somewhere. There will be two, one is the pickup tube, the other is the return line. You should be able to get your arm over the pump and down to the fuel tank to remove the groments, if you track the lines back to the tank you will be able to work out what one is the pickup tube. Remove the elbow and the line should be under it, if it has not broken off.
Its not a hard job, but access can be frustrating...
Thanks Tazza found it fixed and back up and running. great to have Tazza around.

marko13

Ok I'm gonna resurrect this old post cuz I had the same thing today. But I had replaced the pickup and return tubes last year. I did fuel filter, oil filter, hyd filter about 3 wks ago. I'll go check the pickup lines again but skeptical it's that so soon. I put a couple gals diesel in a bit ago because although my broomstick gas guage said I had 6-12 inches in the tank I heard a slight slow down and thought I might be getting low. Now after running another 15mins it slowed down and died.

Other things it could be if the pickup isn't the problem?

Markle

Screen in bottom of tank on pick up tube could be in schmutz (debris in tank bottom). And some of this could be plugging fuel filter, even if filter is new. Air bleed valve on fuel filter housing left open. Bleed at fuel lift pump left open. Vented fuel tank cap blocked, creating tank vacuum. Fuel shut off solenoid not opening fully. Pinched or small leak in fuel supply line. Since you changed fuel pickup tube once, double check lines were not swapped in positions. Gummed up fuel.

marko13

thanks guys. after posting I went back out and it started and ran the rest of day no issues.

laurencen

couple years ago I had a Jacobson mower, had it cutting grass for years then it finally died, filled it up ran for a short time and died again, got it in the shop and tried to drain the tank nothing other than drips, pulled the drain plug nothing, syphoned the tank and bottom was sludge, used a long 1 inch Polly tube on shopvac and pulled half a tub of slime out, washed the tank and been good since.

the sludge appeared to be leaves, grass and rotted away, I assume previous owner left gas cap off for years and stuff fell into the tank, took that long to decompose

haymaker

thanks guys. after posting I went back out and it started and ran the rest of day no issues.
It is still likely you have something intermittently blocking the screen. It's up to you how to proceed but I know if it were me and I did nothing it would next die in the worst possible place when I needed the machine for a job in the worst possible way...Murphy's Law!!

marko13

It is still likely you have something intermittently blocking the screen. It's up to you how to proceed but I know if it were me and I did nothing it would next die in the worst possible place when I needed the machine for a job in the worst possible way...Murphy's Law!!
I hear ya haymaker :cool: I'll check the pickup tube again. I'm trying to remember if the metal elbow that goes through the rubber grommet pulls out of the grommet or if the grommet pulls out of the tank. There's a pesky metal plate above the tubes entry point into the top of the tank that make it a bitch to get to.

mocus250

Not sure if setup is same on your machine as my S250. Mine had that issue repeatedly. Fuel bulb would flatten out and sputtered after priming and running a little while. Pumped fuel out of filler hose access and it was clean so deduced it was bad, kinked fuel pickup tube. I bagged out on getting the grommet out of tank. Couldn't reach it or see it on my machine. Had visions of breaking off the grommet fitting or something that turned into nightmare repair for a $20 part ! Saw a previous older post on this site and copied a workaround using a short steel 1&7/8 " OD muffler tube with threaded elbow fitting welded into it. That was fit into the rubber fuel filler tube hose by cutting a short section of tube out There are threaded barb fittings with fuel line on each barb, one going straight down into tank and one to engine. While I was at it I upgraded the line size to 5/16" vs. the 1/4" from bobcat. Was able to use 5/16 line all the way to fuel pump without any changes except hose clamps. All is good now. Might have to fill tank slower at diesel pump, but it fills tank fine out of our gravity flow fuel tanks. It would take 15 minutes to repair/ remove this set up as access is easy. Would probly repair original pickup tube if I ever remove motor. Picture is from access plate behind rear wheel.

Attachments

• Fuel IMG_0922.jpg
    Fuel IMG_0922.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 29

oiu789

Remove fuel cap remove line going in to primer bulb blow lightly in to line an listen do not use compressed air unless you use a regulator to get it down to less than 5psi or you could hurt the pickup assembly. You can blow in the line with or mouth. I use a old propane reg off of a BBQ grill. If you use a propane bottle be careful as it is flame able. You can adapt it to a compressed air source. Or just shut off the compressor bleed the tank down to 5psi or less and do it that way.

Markle

My repair kit was like the one in pic. Note you set it in the tank just like you see in pic. Grommet gets seated before it expands. Then push brass shoulder into grommet to expand grommet. Reverse for removal.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 12

oiu789

Remove fuel cap remove line going in to primer bulb blow lightly in to line an listen do not use compressed air unless you use a regulator to get it down to less than 5psi or you could hurt the pickup assembly. You can blow in the line with or mouth. I use a old propane reg off of a BBQ grill. If you use a propane bottle be careful as it is flame able. You can adapt it to a compressed air source. Or just shut off the compressor bleed the tank down to 5psi or less and do it that way.
You should not be able to blow back into the tank as there is a check in the pickup or you should not hear bubbling in the tank if your system is OK!