753 locking up and stopping

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
D

daytona701

Double checked cab wiring, left control panel and fuses/relays. Removed new rebuilt alternator and carried back to Autozone which was unable to test the unit. Replacement wasn't available until Friday. Went to O'Reillys down the street and tested both original alternator and reman from Autozone and both failed test. Ordered rebuilt from O'Reillys which will be in Wednesday morning. Went back to Autozone to return reman and get refund. On the plus side getting proficient at changing the alternator.

OP
OP
D

daytona701

Not yet. Once alternator is installed and charging will see if oil light goes out and parking brake stops engaging while operating machine. Being the old alternator would work intermittently caused delay in being replaced because I hadn't seen that before. Also still have the problem of codes not showing on right hand console and lights aren't working.

OP
OP
D

daytona701

Installed O'Reillys alternator and got 14.41 volts with engine running. Drove machine for 10 minutes and no oil light and no unexpected parking brake engagement. Had heavy rain last night so will work machine in a couple of days when things dry out. At least I got schooled on dc electrics. I should have replaced alternator at the first sign of failure. It would have saved me a lot of time and anguish.

cdmccul

Congrats! Glad it works as of now.

The alternator can be intermittent due to failing brakes brushes, one of the few actual mechanically wearing components inside. And I've seen them fail shortly after install ("out of the box") before.

OP
OP
D

daytona701

Took machine out for a second ride and parking brake continues to engage when operating machine. With parking brake engagement no codes are left on overhead panel. Light switch is not working and I believe there may be a computer issue. Checked factory service manual and the ecm is where all circuits that are causing problems lead to. A replacement ecm is about $850 from Bobcat. I may still have a ground problem but the fsm doesn show the location of grounds on the machine. I've been looking closely to see if ground wires are bolted or screwed into the mainframe but cannot see any grounds but at the battery and behind the seat and at the alternator. It's a 753G machine. Engine and hydraulics are excellent. This electrical fault is frustrating.

gearbox

look on the bottom starter bolt . thats where I found the common grounds all hook up . ground cable from the battery hooks there to .

OP
OP
D

daytona701

Removed the traction lock solenoid and locking pawl and made a cover to keep dirt out of the chain case. Will ohm test the solenoid to see if that was the problem. New alternator charging at about 14.5 volts.

Skidrow Bro

Removed the traction lock solenoid and locking pawl and made a cover to keep dirt out of the chain case. Will ohm test the solenoid to see if that was the problem. New alternator charging at about 14.5 volts.
I'm having trouble with my 773 and have tried everything. I've replace solenoid, traced all wires, fuses, relays, put a new battery in but traction still works intermittently. No codes show. Lights etc work only other issue is the fuel gauge moves from full to empty a lot. Did the new alternator fix it?