743B Hydraulic filter stuck ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bucki

Tried to replace the Hydrostatic filter and couldn't get it to budge. Any suggestion ? Thanks

brdgbldr

Tried to replace the Hydrostatic filter and couldn't get it to budge. Any suggestion ? Thanks
Not sure how much room you have. You may want to post what model skid steer you have.

There are several different styles of filter wrenches. The strap type will allow you to crush the filter while still gripping the filter.

The filter is just a metal can so any way you can get it off without damaging the filter housing works. I've driven long screwdrivers through the filter to use as a wrench but sometimes that just tears the filter can.

OP
OP
B

bucki

Sorry, forgot to to mention it's a 743B with lots of room. I used a metal strap wrench type and had good leverage. Just have to keep trying. I've used a screwdriver on other filters but I'm being more careful with this one.
Thank you for your reply.

Atilathehun99

1. Large screwdriver or long metal punch
  2. Hammer
  3. Use 2. on 1. to impale filter
  4. Counter clockwise rotation
  5. Filter removed

Seamonkeyboy

Not to insult you but I just changed mine two weeks ago on my Case. The manual said turn it counter clockwise. So I tried and tried and tried. Broke a strap wrench, used blaster, screwdriver etc. Absolutely its counterclockwise but mine is at chest level so I was tightening it. Its counterclockwise if you are looking up at it from the bottom. I dont mind embarrassing myself if it helps someone.

brdgbldr

Not to insult you but I just changed mine two weeks ago on my Case. The manual said turn it counter clockwise. So I tried and tried and tried. Broke a strap wrench, used blaster, screwdriver etc. Absolutely its counterclockwise but mine is at chest level so I was tightening it. Its counterclockwise if you are looking up at it from the bottom. I dont mind embarrassing myself if it helps someone.
Yes,
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Gbannish

I had the same problem with my 743 a few months ago, and wound up using the screwdriver trick successfully, although a bit messy (you might want to remove or cover your battery below). First, however, I failed miserably with a Harbor Freight rubber strap and plastic filter wrench, as the rubber broke with almost no force applied.
Greg

Latest posts