743 tilt cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Centurion

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement tilt cylinder for a 1988 743? I tried to get mine repaired after it got bent, but it cannot be repaired. I am trying to find a used one, or a better price than the $1100.00 price tag from the bobcat dist. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
Who told you it can't be fixed? As long as the cylinder is in good shape you can get a new stick machined and weld a boss on the end. I have replaced a few sticks before, even built new gland nuts where the stick passes through.
I'd try a different engineering shop and see what they can do. Someone will fix it for you.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

Who told you it can't be fixed? As long as the cylinder is in good shape you can get a new stick machined and weld a boss on the end. I have replaced a few sticks before, even built new gland nuts where the stick passes through.
I'd try a different engineering shop and see what they can do. Someone will fix it for you.
what happenned is the stick broke inside the cylinder, the section left inside is not able to be removed. The shop I took it to is very reputable. The guy who runs the place said he has never seen this before. They have tried everything to get the shaft out, but have been unable to get it out. That does not mean it can't come out, but there are not a lot of places to try. I will get the old one back, and see what I can do, but I do not want my machine down for weeks on end. So if I can find another cylinder, get running again, then worry about the other. If I get the other fixed finally, I am sure it could help someone else down the road. and be a backup for me

Fishfiles

what happenned is the stick broke inside the cylinder, the section left inside is not able to be removed. The shop I took it to is very reputable. The guy who runs the place said he has never seen this before. They have tried everything to get the shaft out, but have been unable to get it out. That does not mean it can't come out, but there are not a lot of places to try. I will get the old one back, and see what I can do, but I do not want my machine down for weeks on end. So if I can find another cylinder, get running again, then worry about the other. If I get the other fixed finally, I am sure it could help someone else down the road. and be a backup for me
My buddy has a 743 tilt cylinder and a boom cylinder used in N.O.,La. for $400 each , but don't have the time or resources to ship it

Tazza

Staff member
My buddy has a 743 tilt cylinder and a boom cylinder used in N.O.,La. for $400 each , but don't have the time or resources to ship it
To remove the shaft is simple! if the piston is still intact, remove the gland nut at the front so the cylinder is open, hook your hydraulics up to the rear port behind the piston, push the pedal and presto! the piston will be forced out. You will have at least 10 tonne of force behind it at 2,500 PSI that your machine will generate.
If your stick broke at the thread and there is a hole in the middle of the piston i see a problem.
Be careful with this, as you don't want anyone at the front of the cylinder just in case they get hit or squirted with high pressure oil.

pondfishr

To remove the shaft is simple! if the piston is still intact, remove the gland nut at the front so the cylinder is open, hook your hydraulics up to the rear port behind the piston, push the pedal and presto! the piston will be forced out. You will have at least 10 tonne of force behind it at 2,500 PSI that your machine will generate.
If your stick broke at the thread and there is a hole in the middle of the piston i see a problem.
Be careful with this, as you don't want anyone at the front of the cylinder just in case they get hit or squirted with high pressure oil.
FishFiles Does he have the 743 lift boom assembly? If so what would he take for it if I drove down to pick it up? I can't spend a ton of money but I would like to have the part.

Fishfiles

FishFiles Does he have the 743 lift boom assembly? If so what would he take for it if I drove down to pick it up? I can't spend a ton of money but I would like to have the part.
Pond, if you are talking about the entire boom , yes , I'll ask him today , what would be a fair price for you , how far do you have to come

pondfishr

Pond, if you are talking about the entire boom , yes , I'll ask him today , what would be a fair price for you , how far do you have to come
Yes the entire boom, where both lift cylinders and the bobtach attach. I am in middle Tennessee and somewhere is the $500 range if that is fair. I am really not sure what it should be worth. This is an older machine "1986 I believe" and I want to keep it up but need to be careful not to over spend at the same time. If you need the serial number I can send it to you to make sure it will fit.

jerry

Yes the entire boom, where both lift cylinders and the bobtach attach. I am in middle Tennessee and somewhere is the $500 range if that is fair. I am really not sure what it should be worth. This is an older machine "1986 I believe" and I want to keep it up but need to be careful not to over spend at the same time. If you need the serial number I can send it to you to make sure it will fit.
Tazza is right, this whole cylinder can be built or rebuilt in a good hydraulic products shop. Did they remove the rod gland and still could not remove the rod? If so then they should machine the buttplate off and remove the rod. Then they can make a new tube and rod, weld in your buttplate and either use the old gland or buy a new one. On our 632 the gland was about $30. My tilt cyl was bent and I replaced the rod and all seals rebuilt the gland I know you may need a piston also but these are a simple cylinder. To have a complete new one built would probably be more than the 400 for the used one but 1100 is ridiculous.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

Tazza is right, this whole cylinder can be built or rebuilt in a good hydraulic products shop. Did they remove the rod gland and still could not remove the rod? If so then they should machine the buttplate off and remove the rod. Then they can make a new tube and rod, weld in your buttplate and either use the old gland or buy a new one. On our 632 the gland was about $30. My tilt cyl was bent and I replaced the rod and all seals rebuilt the gland I know you may need a piston also but these are a simple cylinder. To have a complete new one built would probably be more than the 400 for the used one but 1100 is ridiculous.
From what I understand, the rod broke at the gland. They have tried everything to get it out. I spoke with the guy again today. Hooking up the hydraulics will not help, there is a hole where the fluid would just pour out. The shop where I have it is very reputable. All they do is equipment repair. Had the rod simply been bent, it would have been 2-300 with all new seals etc. So at this point, I am still looking for a used cylinder. I will deal with what is left of the old one later, and perhaps I can find a way to get it back in shape again. Part of the problem is the shop that is doing the work is 75 miles away, and I cannot get there when they are open to see things first hand.

Tazza

Staff member
From what I understand, the rod broke at the gland. They have tried everything to get it out. I spoke with the guy again today. Hooking up the hydraulics will not help, there is a hole where the fluid would just pour out. The shop where I have it is very reputable. All they do is equipment repair. Had the rod simply been bent, it would have been 2-300 with all new seals etc. So at this point, I am still looking for a used cylinder. I will deal with what is left of the old one later, and perhaps I can find a way to get it back in shape again. Part of the problem is the shop that is doing the work is 75 miles away, and I cannot get there when they are open to see things first hand.
No matter what, there is ALWAYS a way. If the gland is stuck you can heat it and get it free, i had to heat it and use an air chisel to get it free. It tore it to pieces but i got it out. If the rod broke all the way back where the piston is i would have installed a length of steel and welded it to the piston or whats left of the rod and use a slide hammer to pull it out. If your welding rod isn't long enough you could rig something up like hold the rod on the end of a piece of steel, i can think of a few different ways to get it free.
Removing the base of the cylinder is an idea too. Any machine shop with any skills could do this without an issue.
If the gland is the only problem, you can always grind it out with a bur and die grinder, as its aluminum it won't be too hard. Get most of it out before you get to the threads and use a hammer to collapse it.

farmboy55

No matter what, there is ALWAYS a way. If the gland is stuck you can heat it and get it free, i had to heat it and use an air chisel to get it free. It tore it to pieces but i got it out. If the rod broke all the way back where the piston is i would have installed a length of steel and welded it to the piston or whats left of the rod and use a slide hammer to pull it out. If your welding rod isn't long enough you could rig something up like hold the rod on the end of a piece of steel, i can think of a few different ways to get it free.
Removing the base of the cylinder is an idea too. Any machine shop with any skills could do this without an issue.
If the gland is the only problem, you can always grind it out with a bur and die grinder, as its aluminum it won't be too hard. Get most of it out before you get to the threads and use a hammer to collapse it.
contact Bailey's hyd in K-ville tenn and see what they can build you a new one for.

Fishfiles

contact Bailey's hyd in K-ville tenn and see what they can build you a new one for.
i have had the machine shop cut out seized gland nuts on the lathe before AND MAKE A NEW ONE , YOU CAN'T GET A GLAND NUT FOR $30 NO MORE , today i picked up parts for a deere 120 bucket cylinder , rod 1,100 , which broke in half , , gland nut 560 , seal kit 350 , complete cylinder 4,400 --------------POND FISHER , you can have the boom for $500 BUT YOU HAVE TO COME DOWN , TAKE IT OFF THE MACHINE , priced a T190 boom t190 boom today and it right at $4000, I would guess new a 743 boom , if you can still get it , would be $3000 up , excuse the caps i don't look when i type

jerry

i have had the machine shop cut out seized gland nuts on the lathe before AND MAKE A NEW ONE , YOU CAN'T GET A GLAND NUT FOR $30 NO MORE , today i picked up parts for a deere 120 bucket cylinder , rod 1,100 , which broke in half , , gland nut 560 , seal kit 350 , complete cylinder 4,400 --------------POND FISHER , you can have the boom for $500 BUT YOU HAVE TO COME DOWN , TAKE IT OFF THE MACHINE , priced a T190 boom t190 boom today and it right at $4000, I would guess new a 743 boom , if you can still get it , would be $3000 up , excuse the caps i don't look when i type
Just for price comparison I called Bobcat of Duluth this morning and they have the 743 tilt cyl gland in stock for $125 so they have gone up but not to 500.

pondfishr

Fishfiles - do you have a number where I can call you to find out where you are located at. You are welcome to email me at my personal email address [email protected].

OP
OP
C

Centurion

You'll have to ask the experts here, but I ran across this cylinder on EBay. May not be compatible with a 743.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bobcat-763-753-Tilt-Cylinder-Rebuilt-30-day-warranty_W0QQitemZ230282818508QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41490QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There is also this seller that you may contact about one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/new-cylinder-rod-30-series-Bobcat-tilt-cylinder_W0QQitemZ120267520219QQihZ002QQcategoryZ121876QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
Well, got my old cylinder back this evening, with the piece stuck in the bottom that the shop could not get out. Well 15 minutes after I got it, I got the part out. Next step is to get a new stick, and the parts that go on the back end. Taz is getting the part #'s I need thanks for everyone"s help. Although I am not out of the woods yet, I can see it from here. Will keep all updated. Thanks again for all of the help.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

Well, got my old cylinder back this evening, with the piece stuck in the bottom that the shop could not get out. Well 15 minutes after I got it, I got the part out. Next step is to get a new stick, and the parts that go on the back end. Taz is getting the part #'s I need thanks for everyone"s help. Although I am not out of the woods yet, I can see it from here. Will keep all updated. Thanks again for all of the help.
update to this under general questions