743 steering

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gander123

I emailed you a few months ago about a late 80's 743 that I was having steering problems with. The right side motor sometimes won't engage until I return to neutral and try again, and when it does engage it slams into gear. Once it is in gear I can feather the steering but when I go through neutral it may or may not go into gear again and when it does it bangs in, I can't feather it. You had thought it was adjustment so we tried that but it didn't help so we checked all the pressure relief valves. They all checked out fine but again no help. We had seen a thread on the forum about a screen in the middle hose going into the motor so we pulled all three lines but couldn't find a screen. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Tazza

Staff member
It could be a drive motor issue, if it was me, i'd swap motors from side to side, see if the issue moves.
The only issue with that, is the fittings on the motors need to get moved too.

OP
OP
G

gander123

It could be a drive motor issue, if it was me, i'd swap motors from side to side, see if the issue moves.
The only issue with that, is the fittings on the motors need to get moved too.
Thanks Tazza, just wanted to give an update. We thought before switching motors that we would pull the right one apart. What we found was one of the two springs was broken. That helped explain why the steering improved when it was cold outside. I just ordered the two springs and a seal kit. It cost $5 for the springs and $25 to ship it! Will let you know when it's back together.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza, just wanted to give an update. We thought before switching motors that we would pull the right one apart. What we found was one of the two springs was broken. That helped explain why the steering improved when it was cold outside. I just ordered the two springs and a seal kit. It cost $5 for the springs and $25 to ship it! Will let you know when it's back together.
Isn't that alyways the way? paying more for shipping than the parts are worth.
Hopefully that fixes the issue, the springs are very important.
Ensure you time it correctly when you put it back together. If you need details on that, look up my profile and send me an email. Ill find the details for you.

OP
OP
G

gander123

Isn't that alyways the way? paying more for shipping than the parts are worth.
Hopefully that fixes the issue, the springs are very important.
Ensure you time it correctly when you put it back together. If you need details on that, look up my profile and send me an email. Ill find the details for you.
Tazza, I can't thank you enough! We put the motor back together with the correct timing procedure that you had provided and when we started the machine and ran it, all the steering issues were gone. Those springs are small and only one coil was broke off but as you mentioned, they're very important. Thanks again.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I can't thank you enough! We put the motor back together with the correct timing procedure that you had provided and when we started the machine and ran it, all the steering issues were gone. Those springs are small and only one coil was broke off but as you mentioned, they're very important. Thanks again.
Awesome, glad it's all fixed.
I hope you didn't have too much torouble working out how to time the motors. I know when i do them, i keep second guessing myself, but they are right every time :)