743 Oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I bought myself a new "project" on wednesday. Its a 1990 743, with a slight problem... it has had an engine bay fire. It will keep me busy for a few months...... at least. My question is, what oil does this model use? the oil looks and smells like automatic transmission oil. I always thought that all hydrostatic transmissions had to use heavier oil like i run in my 731 (i run Castrol RX Super). I have to order the parts and service manual for this machine in the next week or so. I'm sure i will have more problems/questions in the near future. Lickily the fire didn't do too much damage, it did eat up almost all the fuel lines, the fan cover is a molten mass, the radaitor core is stuffed, plus a few other small things.

StuZ

ATF is NOT the correct oil to be using. It should be the same as your 731 takes, which is Hydraulic/Hydrostatic fluid. Bobcat use to say to use 10 W 30, BUT have since backed away from that idea. Keep us posted as to how you are coming with it.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
ATF is NOT the correct oil to be using. It should be the same as your 731 takes, which is Hydraulic/Hydrostatic fluid. Bobcat use to say to use 10 W 30, BUT have since backed away from that idea. Keep us posted as to how you are coming with it.
I just got some prices on a few parts...... its not going to be pretty. They want AUD $1072.09 just for the radiator, then the plastic cover for the fan is a little under $500. I'll shop around and see if i can get a core for a vehicle that may be able to get cut down to suit, but i'm not hopefull. I will definatly keep you all informed as to how the project is going, i'm sure most of it will involve me winging about just how costly the parts are. I think the digital camera will be working over time. Still, i think it was worth the money, these machines (when working) sell for between $12,000 to $16,000 over here in Australia.