743 noise in chain case

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

royman

I recently purchased a 1985 743, nice shape,runs and operates very well, but has a little ticking noise by my feet. not sure if its in the chain case? gets louder faster i go. sharp turns it seems to dissapear. also the parking break doesnt do anything. Is the park break inside the chain case? I havent had time to lift the cab. i have a service manual on order I was told that the chain case components rarely fail on the bobcat. it would be nice if i could drain some oil and look for any debris or an inspection cover. i'm hoping its nothing major and can ignor it

OldMachinist

Likely the noise is part of the broken parking brake. It's located in the center of the chaincase near where your feet would be. It's possible that it may not cause any problem but in the worse case what ever is clicking could lock up the drive system at the worse possible time. I've uploaded the 743 service manual here http://www.mediafire.com/?wk8boxnybvnkc The drive system section covers the parking brake.

OP
OP
R

royman

Likely the noise is part of the broken parking brake. It's located in the center of the chaincase near where your feet would be. It's possible that it may not cause any problem but in the worse case what ever is clicking could lock up the drive system at the worse possible time. I've uploaded the 743 service manual here http://www.mediafire.com/?wk8boxnybvnkc The drive system section covers the parking brake.
thanks for the link for the manuals. I will have to look at the park break mechanism, i have feeling that its the cause of my rattle since it doesnt work. I think that i will cancel the order for a service manual since i can get it free on here..

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the link for the manuals. I will have to look at the park break mechanism, i have feeling that its the cause of my rattle since it doesnt work. I think that i will cancel the order for a service manual since i can get it free on here..
Some machines ran steel chain guides, yours could be one. The newer ones uses plastic and run silently. I wuld prop the front up by curling the bucket, grab the wheel and rock it back and forth, listen for the chain slap. Pull it in and out too, check for bearing wear.

41hat

Some machines ran steel chain guides, yours could be one. The newer ones uses plastic and run silently. I wuld prop the front up by curling the bucket, grab the wheel and rock it back and forth, listen for the chain slap. Pull it in and out too, check for bearing wear.
do most older 743 machine's have a working parking mine does'nt work either, I was hoping it might stop the machine from creeping thanks mark

Tazza

Staff member
do most older 743 machine's have a working parking mine does'nt work either, I was hoping it might stop the machine from creeping thanks mark
It won't stop it creeping, but it will stop it moving when you engage it. If the pump is not in neutral, it will make screaming sounds as it tries to move but the park brake will not allow it to do so. You'll find out whan i mean when you get your brake working.
Have you tried tightening the long bolt betweek the pedal and brake arm? Usually there is still some adjustment left. If not, you can put a shim in the brake assembily. It uses brass pucks to grab two brake discs, put the shim between the two centre pucks. Mine had an old 2c coin, worked a treat.

Petierla

Do you mean the your loader creeps forward after the park brake is engaged with the motor running? If so, I have found with my 743 that if you engage the brake at idle speed it will creep forward but if I keep it at about half throttle it will keep still.

Tazza

Staff member
Do you mean the your loader creeps forward after the park brake is engaged with the motor running? If so, I have found with my 743 that if you engage the brake at idle speed it will creep forward but if I keep it at about half throttle it will keep still.
No matter the engine revs, it really should stop it moving. Yours should be tightened up a touch more.

OP
OP
R

royman

if i lift up the front wheels off the ground and rock the wheels back and forth to take out the chain slack, i can feel something and hear something inside bunce back and forth. I wonder if this is the chain guid and is there an addjustment or is it no addjustable. is it spring loaded or just set in one posistion. im thinking this is the cause of the noisy ticking inside chaincase. I'm not sure if something is loose inside or if thats just normal.

Tazza

Staff member
if i lift up the front wheels off the ground and rock the wheels back and forth to take out the chain slack, i can feel something and hear something inside bunce back and forth. I wonder if this is the chain guid and is there an addjustment or is it no addjustable. is it spring loaded or just set in one posistion. im thinking this is the cause of the noisy ticking inside chaincase. I'm not sure if something is loose inside or if thats just normal.
There is no adjustment. If its too worn it can touch the bottom of the chain case. When you twist the tyre forward do you hear a slap? if so, its touching the bottom, if you turn it upwards the noise you hear will be the guide. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
R

royman

There is no adjustment. If its too worn it can touch the bottom of the chain case. When you twist the tyre forward do you hear a slap? if so, its touching the bottom, if you turn it upwards the noise you hear will be the guide. Does that make sense?
It feels like something is actualy bouncing, not a slap when turning the wheel very hard. im convinced that it has to be the chain guide. feels like its loose and the chain will cause it to bounce up and fall back. I guess the only way to know is to take it apart and remove the chain case covers and look inside.......is removing the covers a lot of work? I will have to wait till winter is over and its warmer outside to do this. In the mean time I hope no harm can be done by using the machine. worst thing is that something falls apart and jams the chain... maybe nothing is wrong and just as one person said that the older model chain guids are noisy.

OP
OP
R

royman

It feels like something is actualy bouncing, not a slap when turning the wheel very hard. im convinced that it has to be the chain guide. feels like its loose and the chain will cause it to bounce up and fall back. I guess the only way to know is to take it apart and remove the chain case covers and look inside.......is removing the covers a lot of work? I will have to wait till winter is over and its warmer outside to do this. In the mean time I hope no harm can be done by using the machine. worst thing is that something falls apart and jams the chain... maybe nothing is wrong and just as one person said that the older model chain guids are noisy.
finaly iI took the front chain case cover off. Everything looks very nice inside. I am convinced that the niose i was hearing was the chain running on the steel chain guids. the chains have some slack in them but appear to be in good shape. I was looking at the parts manual and see that the guids change up to plastic ones. anyone done this and now have a quiter machine? Is the bolt in behind the final driver cover making the guids easy to change? I could simply just leave it and ignore the noise but I get a bit fussy sometimes.... I'm new to the skid steer world but I feel that this machine will be a big asset around the farm