743 Glow Plug Replacement Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pondfishr

First let me say thanks to Mark at IM Bobcat in Utah I was able to purchase my glow plugs at a fair price. My question is that I was able to replace 3 of them without too much of a problem, but the 4th one is a real bear. What size and type of wrench do I need to use to take the injector line off. My open end is too wide to fit between the fittings. Do I need to remove more than one of the lines and is there any real danger that I will screw something up my taking the injector line off so I can get to the 4th glow plug. Also it starts like a dream with only the three replaced but I really want to change all 4.

Tazza

Staff member
I agree, Mark is awesome. I have bought off him twice so far and i know i will be doing more shortly.
As for the plug. I think i needed to remove 2 or 3 lines. I used a standard spanner and had to remove i think 1, 2 and maybe 3 (working from the front back). Un-do the injector line clamps and the nuts on top of the injectors. There is no problem totally removing the injector lines, just don't un-screw the delivery valves, or at least avoid doing it. Its a nasty job to do but it can be done. Just be patient and you will get there. Just keep it all clean, plugging the delivery valves and injectors is a good idea.
Any probs yell

Fishfiles

I have grinded the ends of a lot of wrenches so as to get it into a tight spot , don't grind too much too fast as it will get hot and lose temper , a little at a time and cool it off between grindings ------also a crowfoot wrench can be handy in some spots ----------don't use it much but took a deep socket and grinded away the side and cut a gap in it and duplicated a Snapon Detroit Diesel injector nut socket in the size of the Bobcat , has came in handy a few times when you get one really frozen on with rust , if you see the tubing turning while applying pressure to the nut take care not to twist the steel tubing as I have seen it happen were the tubing stays froze to the nut and twist like a candy cane

Idoitall

Working with any tubing, steel, brass or copper, almost requires special wrenches to prevent damages to the fittings and tubing. These are called "Flare Nut Wrench". You'll easily round-off the edges using regular wrenches, and forget those adjustable ones and Vise Grips.
There are a few basic types available and I found the page below from Sears Craftsman Tools that shows several. While I mostly have used the open end type, I have a couple of the ratcheting type and they can be invalueable in tight places. OH yea. Don't waste your money on some cheap "Made in China" tools. The metallurgy and hardening process is just not there.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Tools&keyword=flare+nut+wrench+set&sLevel=0
Hope this helps.